Wooden BBQ - Feasible??

I know it sounds mad but think it may work and wanted to see if anyone had tried similar.

I want to build one of the DIY Brick BBQs but replace the bricks with some wooden sleepers I have sitting about. Sleepers are pressure treated hardwood so no tar or creosote involved.

The bbq tray and grill will be supported on metal rods which will be screwed into the sleepers.

Heat level will be high but dont anticipate too many direct flame on the wood.

Is there any heat/fire proof sealent i could use on the wood??

Any ideas or is this just me being a tad too creative.....

Cheers

J

Replies

• LocknutLocknut Forumite
    436 Posts
    PMSL you should not be aloud anywhere near a fire. :D No it wont work it would catch fire all but instantly.
  • EliteHeatEliteHeat Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    I made a set of saucepans out of papier mache once and despite painting them in heat proof paint, they still burnt.
  • heretohelpheretohelp Forumite
    133 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    old open fireplaces sometimse have oak lintels in them and it does not burn (maybe the distance of the flames and hardness of the wood). how about lining the inside of the bbq with metal sheets to stop the flames touching the wood. it will still look nice on the outside.
  • MrYorkeMrYorke Forumite
    125 Posts
    its not just the flames that makes wood burn.....think its something to do with heat maybe.
  • NilremNilrem Forumite
    2.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    heat + Oxygen + fuel = fire!

It would most likely at best char the wood sleepers even with a metal plate between the flame and the wood, at worst set fire to them outright ;)

About the only workable option would be to make the brick BBC then build the wooden frame around the outside of the brick (possibly leaving an air gap to provide some insulation).
  • rachbcrachbc Forumite
    4.5K Posts
    should be fine - you can stick the kettle on it and I can i come over and make us a brew in my chocolate teapot :P
    People seem not to see that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • ukjoelukjoel Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Lol - Just logged on and all 5 responses say NO!!!!!

I did a trial version tonight - Used one of the disposable bbqs and sat it on a sleeper and no burn marks at all.

Think I may need to use slate tiles on trial version 2 but am determined to get this to work.

Will send some pics of either some sizzling sausages or my bbq in flames as proof either way.

Cheers
  • ukjoel wrote: »
    Lol - Just logged on and all 5 responses say NO!!!!!

I did a trial version tonight - Used one of the disposable bbqs and sat it on a sleeper and no burn marks at all.

Think I may need to use slate tiles on trial version 2 but am determined to get this to work.

Will send some pics of either some sizzling sausages or my bbq in flames as proof either way.

Cheers

Deffo a good sport!

Please don't make it a family BBQ and will look forward to your update :D
  • wallbashwallbash
    17.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Go for it :D

Put two fingers up to the Health and Safety brigade .

Admire your dedication and courage.

Will look forward to your report

( I only hope its not from A& E. ):eek:
  • ormusormus Forumite
    42.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    well i say yes. its possible with some care.
    sleepers (not soaked in oil) like other very large wooden logs are more difficult to light than most peeps think.

i would certainly do some experiments first.
    some alluminium plate shields would help a lot.
    Get some gorm.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides