🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

MONEY MORAL DILEMMA. How much should Nigella tip?

Options

Comments

• Taffybiker
    Options
    Tali wrote: »
    In what way is the tip dependent upon the size of the bill? It's a reflection of the service you've received and what you can comfortably afford to pay. Why should two people at separate tables in the same restaurant at the same time who have similar levels of wealth and receive the same quality of service imagine that the cost of the food affects the value of that service?
    Clearly Nigella should tip for the value delivered.

Exactly! When I am in a restaurant I never play by any 10% rule. The amount I tip is based on the service I have received. I won't feel bad about not leaving a tip if I don't think the service was up to scratch, but I won't think twice about leaving a tenner for the waiter/waitress if the service was excellent.
    There was one particular favourite place I used to go (unfortunately it was eventually taken over before it closed for good) and the service there was always excellent. Word clearly got round the staff because I was never kept waiting - not even for 5 minutes. On almost all occasions my party was served before anyone else. :D

To the question: I rate the service on a scale of 0 to 10 and pay the relevant amount in pounds - a 5 service will get £5 tip.
    Try saying "I have under-a-pound in my wallet" and listen to people react!
  • Taffybiker
    Options
    hullight wrote: »
    Why not tip the cleaning staff who make a shop/restaurant a pleasant place?

I have done exactly that! I sometimes leave a tip for the kitchen porters - they are often on minimum wage and work very hard. I know because I used to do the job myself many years ago.
    Try saying "I have under-a-pound in my wallet" and listen to people react!
  • Thomas_Crown
    Options
    stureid wrote: »
    As for the comment regarding the lack of tipping in McDonalds, I'm afraid that doesn't qualify as a restaurant. It's a food Argos.

I agree. McDonalds is a cafeteria (ie. self service) not a restaurant, so there are no waiting staff, therefore no tips are justified.
  • oldnewhand
    Options
    I'm not very comfortable with tipping although do for above average service. I do however always give verbal appreciation when deserved.
    My reasons for not feeling comfortable with tipping are:
    It makes it appear that I consider myself better than the waiter/ess where I know I am a human being just the same as them.
    I strongly disapprove of any business capitalising on my financial goodwill to subsidise the profits of the owner/shareholder ( maybe a different view for a good value independent small concern), just as I strongly disapprove of large supermarket workwers being able to claim benefits using the taxes I pay to subsidise low incomes to maximise profits for share holders.
    I like "proper" food so only go to restaurants rather than fast food outlets which means I am already paying a huge amount more than the cost of the food and labour.
    The waiter/ess is only doing their job even if they, like many other unfortunate workers are on minimum wage.
    The waiter/ess is only the end of a chain of workers that have pooled their efforts into providing an excellent meal; they didn't make it taste delicious for instance.
    If I do tip I think of 10% and give myself a fright! (I am careful with my money) and probably leave £1 or £2 (for 2 of us)
  • oldnewhand
    Options
    I'm not very comfortable with tipping although do for above average service. I do however always give verbal appreciation when deserved.
    My reasons for not feeling comfortable with tipping are:
    It makes it appear that I consider myself better than the waiter/ess where I know I am a human being just the same as them.
    I strongly disapprove of any business capitalising on my financial goodwill to subsidise the profits of the owner/shareholder ( maybe a different view for a good value independent small concern), just as I strongly disapprove of large supermarket workers being able to claim benefits using the taxes I pay to subsidise low incomes to maximise profits for share holders.
    I like "proper" food so only go to restaurants rather than fast food outlets which means I am already paying a huge amount more than the cost of the food and labour.
    The waiter/ess is only doing their job even if they, like many other unfortunate workers are on minimum wage.
    The waiter/ess is only the end of a chain of workers that have pooled their efforts into providing an excellent meal; they didn't make it taste delicious for instance.
    If I do tip I think of 10% and give myself a fright! (I am careful with my money) and probably leave £1 or £2 (for 2 of us)
  • Should I tip the min. wage staff in the pub? In poundland? The clarks shoe girl? My kid's nursery assistant? The bus driver? The carer who wipes my great uncle's bum?

I'm with you here, I make minimum wage as an admin, I never get a tip. Why should I give someone else one. Unless someone has really gone above and beyond, i never do.

Why is it that only a few occupations get tipped? Why should we tip hairdressers but not the lady in boots who helps my gran choose shampoo?
    Taxi drivers but not bus drivers, inspectors, airline stewards.
    Waiting staff but not the chef, or the bar tender. Who made those rules up?!
    (waitresses, taxi drivers and hairdressers i'd immagine lol)

Note to my hairdresser, I pay £20 for a haircut that you take literally 3 minutes to complete, don't give me a dirty look when I dont give you an extra quid!!
    It only takes a second to say 'Thanks, you just saved me a few quid!'

No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries Challenge June
    Toiletries used up- 4 Makeup used up- 2
  • katehesk
    katehesk Posts: 246 Forumite
    edited 3 September 2009 at 10:37AM
    Options
    I'm a waitress, and a very good one if I do say so myself. And I love my job because it brings me in to contact with different people every day.

I didn't envisage that at 26 years old I would be a graduate, failed postgraduate, and working as a full time waitress, but as it turns out I'm quite happy what I'm doing. You always get that snobbery from people who have self confidence and Type A personality oozing and spewing from every pore and orifice! 'I am such a high achiever, so everyone else should be'!

Anyway, I always really appreciate it when people tip, and generally do very well because I give a good personalised service, and make an effort to build a genuine rapport with my guests, if they are receptive anyway (which some are not, and that is fair enough) and make every effort to make their dining experience the best it can possibly be.

My very subjective view of the matter is that the tip should reflect the level of service received. A waitress giving good service but really just going through the motions deserves something, however really exceptional service deserves a little something more in my opinion. :) I find a lot of guests leave a tip based on the number of covers in their party though, rather than by percentages, for examply a party of ten might leave £10. etc. I've also had a number of my guests seek out my manager to leave very positive feedback about the service I have given, which is really great when it happens.

I'm glad to say that in my experience, the majority of people still leave a tip for the waitress, and don't think the custom is outdated :) It is still very much the norm and in my opinion basic ettiquette when dining out.

(Oh and by the way, we share some of our tips with the chefs in our business even though they earn between 30% and 100% + than we do in basic wages).
  • juliebabes33
    Options
    I would definitely tip 10% of the whole bill before discount, but ONLY if the waitress was pleasant, smiley and let me have tap water to drink :)
  • Ebenezer_Screwj
    Options
    scotsbob wrote: »
    Nothing, tipping is outdated.
    Yes, tipping is indeed outdated. If people are not happy with their rates of pay they should seek alternative work. However, for the sake of this dilemma, they should have a separate tip kitty and each one put in what they think according to the standard of service and quality of the meal. The discount element is nothing to do with the waitress.
  • gracie83
    Options
    I only tip occasionally and that is when we have had brilliant service.

My uncle however has banned all tipping! He took us all out for a meal and inisisted on paying for the treat. When the bill came he was handed the PIN machine and told to follow the instructions on the screen. (My uncle is a vain man and will not wear his glasses in public) So he just treats the machine like a normal PIN and types in his pin in and hits enter and hands the machine back. The waitress says you have to enter your pin now. My uncle is confused now as he already done so. My husband asked to have a look at the machine (as he could see!!) My uncle had typed in a tip of just over nine thousand pounds! I would have been very interested to see how far that tip was allowed to go before it was questioned!

Anyway uncle was very embarassed and now is cash only and does not tip regardless!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport