MONEY MORAL DILEMMA. How much should Nigella tip?

Options

Comments

• elliott789
    Options
    hullight wrote: »
    As is said in Reservoir Dogs - why do people feel the need to tip a server in, say, Pizza Express but not in McDonalds?

(us McDonalds staff aren't actually allowed to receive tips, and we probably earn less than most people in positions deemed tip-worthy)

Because McDonalds workers don't waiter. You don't tip the shop keeper for picking up some fags from behind and giving them to you..

As to the dilemma, I would tip the pre-discounted price seen as the waiter doesn't have to do any less work due to the managers decision to diacount.
  • bigmac77uk
    Options
    my opinion is you should do what ever you feel is right, if you want to tip, for what ever reason, then you tip what ever you want, to some people £1 is a lot of money, to others £1000 is nothing at all, and if you don't want to tip for what ever reason, then that is your right and you should not be made to by emotional black mail. Speaking from a personnel point of view, if i've had good service and i have spare money i would tip what ever i can reasonbly afford, for example, the other day i had my hair cut which cost £5 and the person was friendly and did a good job, so i tipped them £1 or in other words 20% of the bill, to some thats nothing at all, to others thats a lot, we are all different, we all have different views and we should all be free to express our views and thoughts, after all we live in a free and democratic society which is what our parents/grand parents fought and in some cases died for!!!
  • SavvyStudent_2
    Options
    Lol just thought I'd chip in as I'm a junior doctor, and lots of people have been saying they'd rather tip doctors/policemen/firemen etc than their waiter at pizza hut -

I can definitely vouch for all of the doctors on my ward when I say we'd be happy with just a smile and a thank you from a satisfied patient (and perhaps the odd box of quality street for the nurses station if you're feeling particularly grateful)! But then again we do get paid a decent living wage, and fairly paid a percentage onto our salary according to the amount of on-call / night work we do, so it doesn't really compare to the restaurant industry I'm afraid folks!
  • bumpoowee
    Options
    Well first and foremost it would depend on the quality of the service. I'd probably leave just over 10% after discount.
  • notreallyanewbie
    Options
    NEVER give a tip where the establishment states 'service not included'.
    The most irritating statement ever, are they saying the staff dont get paid? Do you have to cook the stuff yourself? Of course not.
    If the place says this then tip nothing.
  • shoptiludrop2
    Options
    I don't agree with tipping, I don't get tips in my job and I always go out of my way to give service beyond what is required as part of my job. I do sometimes tip but its usually because I feel I have to not because I want to.
  • fiish
    fiish Posts: 815 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    As a student I did not tip as a rule (mostly due to money not being abundant), now any tip I leave is entirely arbitrary and proportional to the quality of service received. If the service from the staff of the evening was particularly good, then I feel they deserve it. If not, I leave nothing.

As a side, I have been argued with over not paying a 'discretionary service charge' before, and basically don't go back to those places again....
  • purplegaily
    Options
    I love these questions, as they usually give the biggest debate.

I will usually tip, if the service has been good - but the amount usually depends on where the cash is going. If the service has been fab, and the waiter is getting it all then the tip is usually reasonabley (ie 10-15%) generous. If it's a pot, then we ususally put approx £5 in (bearing in mind the cost for 2 for a good meal out with wine, and 3 courses is usually over £50 - proper restaurant, with no 2-4-1 offers etc.)

I have waitressed, and a £2 tip was very well received - it meant you were appreciated to the people you served, but I've also worked behind the bar in a club, for barely more than minimum wage, and when you get tipped the change from an £80 pound round, with 2 x £50 notes, we were encouraged to keep all tips - and they went in our pockets (pity that wasn't the norm).

As previous messages said - you tip what you feel the server deserves, and what you can afford. If Jaime, Nigella and Gordon can't afford a decent tip then they shouldn't feel obliged (the server is still being paid after all)
    Always on the look out for a bargain. :smileyhea Thanks if you've helped me bag one.
  • Tigerlee_2
    Options
    Staff should give good service to all customers. Thats their job!!! regardless of tips or not.
    "Find something you love to do and you'll never have to work a day in your life." - Harvey Mackay

:A
  • gozaimasu
    Options
    Nigella should tip however much she wants to, although the peer pressure from the rest of the group is bound to influence her decision since she doesn't want to look like a cheapo in front of her friends. Then again, they are her friends, so they should know what she is like. Tipping is a choice, not an obligation.

It's more awkward dining with people you don't really know. I don't agree with tipping - menus deliberately price things awkwardly anyway so that you have to wait for change from £10 or £20, so effectively that is my tip if I'm too embarrassed to wait for a couple of quid change. Which I shouldn't be. It's my money and I've worked hard to earn it, so why should I be randomly giving it away for free? I've always said that if I earned a lot, I would tip, or at least tip more than the odd 25p, but would I really? I've been on minimum wage jobs and ones not in the service industry. I didn't think tips would be worth dealing with horrible people on a daily basis so I chose to avoid it. Except one waitressing job where they had a no tip policy. Some people have to accept that a tip is not guaranteed and that they most certainly have to earn it.

As nice as some extra cash is, I agree that if you've had good food or good service, then a smile, a big "thank you" and telling them how well they've done surely do a better job at making someone feel good about themselves after their shift.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure