Car scrappage - tax disc surrender

We traded in our 21 year old Vauxhall just after the scrappage scheme started, I kept the tax disc and got a refund for the unexpired months. I'm now in the process of trading in our other 12 year old car and read in the Honest John column in today's paper that getting a refund isn't possible. It certainly was because I did it, cash in the bank. Did I get away with something or is Honest John wrong? I need to know as I have 10 months to run and would surrender it now and take out a four month tax disc if Honest John is correct.

Comments

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,510
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Unless something has changed very, very recently you can get a refund if car is scrapped, SORNED, or you cease to be owner. When I retaxed (June) you could only get a 6 or 12 mnths licence.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • a small change came into force 6 months back. under the old system anybody could surrender a tax disc, dealers mainly when you part ex your veh, and get a refund.
    but the guys at the dvla, to stop theft and to ensure a more correct vehicle record decided to allow a refund of a tax disc by the registered keeper only.
    if the log books in your name, you can refund as normal.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,510
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    So you would have to claim refund before new keeper was registered by DVLA.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • harveybobbles
    harveybobbles Posts: 8,973 Forumite
    It's only the reg'd keeper who can get the refund. not us dealers - unless we register the !!!!!! part ex in our name. Which is tedious...

So what we do is value a car, PLUS the road tax.
  • emmell
    emmell Posts: 1,228 Forumite
    Cars are now appearing at auctions with valid tax discs, now that used to be a very rare sight, as most of them used to end up in the pockets of dealers or auction houses.
    ML.
    He who has four and spends five, needs neither purse nor pocket
  • So you would have to claim refund before new keeper was registered by DVLA.

no you wouldn't. To process the refund you have to be either the current keeper or last registered keeper if it has been sold recently.

HTH

x
    * Rainbow baby boy born 9th August 2016 *

* Slimming World follower (I breastfeed so get 6 hex's!) *
  • Inactive
    Inactive Posts: 14,509 Forumite
    emmell wrote: »
    Cars are now appearing at auctions with valid tax discs, now that used to be a very rare sight, as most of them used to end up in the pockets of dealers or auction houses.
    ML.

Indeed, a local dealer near to me was clobbered by the Inland Revenue for not declaring unearned income from the tax disc's that he cashed in.. :rotfl:
  • Hintza
    Hintza Posts: 19,420
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I don't think anyone has answered your question. I saw the same comment in yesterdays paper. From what honest john says it sounds as if you got lucky (but I don't really know). But have they not been moving the goal posts constantly with this scrappage scheme.
  • deutsch
    deutsch Posts: 396
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Should I insist to the dealer that I take my tax disc away?...That's if they want to take it away and say they'll sort it out etc. I have 10 months left on it and I surely do not want to lose my refund for that. Perhaps I won't be in this situation, but it's a what if question.

Also, as the logbook for the old car is changed to the dealer once be trade for the £2000, how early can I send off the V14. I've been reading here that:
    "only the current registered keeper can claim the refund"
    or
    "only the current AND the last registered keeper can claim the refund"

If it's the first scenerio, I would like to post the refund application as early as possible so not to miss out on not being the current registered keeper if anyone understands what I mean. If it's the second scenario, I won't really worry.
  • Inactive
    Inactive Posts: 14,509 Forumite
    deutsch wrote: »
    Should I insist to the dealer that I take my tax disc away?...That's if they want to take it away and say they'll sort it out etc. I have 10 months left on it and I surely do not want to lose my refund for that. Perhaps I won't be in this situation, but it's a what if question.

Also, as the logbook for the old car is changed to the dealer once be trade for the £2000, how early can I send off the V14. I've been reading here that:
    "only the current registered keeper can claim the refund"
    or
    "only the current AND the last registered keeper can claim the refund"

If it's the first scenerio, I would like to post the refund application as early as possible so not to miss out on not being the current registered keeper if anyone understands what I mean. If it's the second scenario, I won't really worry.

Take the tax disc, it is yours, not the dealers, you paid for it, it is of no value to the dealer anyway since they changed the rules.

You obviously need the tax disc on the car whilst the car is still on the road, so at handover would seem the best time to remove it.

You will only get whole months refunded.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure