Is SkyHD REALLY worth it?

Options
Currently got Sky+ and I've been considering upgrading to SkyHD, but I don't know if I can justify the extra £9.75 a month. :confused:

Apparently it's supposed to be good with things like sports, but I don't have the sports package.. although I do have movies.

I have a full HD TV, so obviously would like to use it to it's potential, but not if i'm barely going to notice.

Just wondering what peoples views are on this? Is it worth it?
This thread has me so pumped, I headbutted my dog and we both screamed.

Comments

• Meepster
    Meepster Posts: 5,955 Forumite
    Options
    I'm getting Sky+ installed next week, I was seriously thinking about going for HD, but I couldn't justify the extra £9.75 per month for a few HD channels. It would be different if there were more of them, but for a maximum of 30? channels (if you include Sports and Movies), is it really worth it? Personally I'd wait until more channels are available and the cost is more realistic..
    If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands

• Batchy
    Batchy Posts: 1,632 Forumite
    Options
    Yes it is, basically nearly all the channels I actually watch are HD...

why would you want to have bravo in HD??? lol

Depends if you want to read the number on the back of a footballers shirt or not know who is kicking the ball, as that really is the difference and it is easy to see since you can still get the SD channel and then flick to HD, MASSIVE difference.

however if you struggle to afford the 10 quid, then dont bother, I just dont see the point of having a HD TV and spending 800 quid to have one, but still not watching in HD.
    Plan
    1) Get most competitive Lifetime Mortgage (Done)
    2) Make healthy savings, spend wisely (Doing)
    3) Ensure healthy pension fund - (Doing)
    4) Ensure house is nice, suitable, safe, and located - (Done)
    5) Keep everyone happy, healthy and entertained (Done, Doing, Going to do)
  • RICK..._2
    RICK..._2 Posts: 469 Forumite
    Options
    Yeah this is my problem, I can afford the extra, but i've never seen SkyHD in action so have no idea what it's like.

My main reason for getting a full HD TV, was for the xbox 360, as the difference in quality is HUGE. but obviously if i can get the same effect with Sky then it's a no brainer really....
  • SwitchyChick
    Options
    I was sceptical about paying the extra subscription for HD (OH wanted it mainly for the footy) but have to say we have all been surprised at the difference!

We watch HD films, nature documentaries, costume dramas, etc. Even the in-laws commented on how good it was when the cricket was on!

Definitely worth it IMHO.
    Mortgage #1 Oct 2008: £130,000
    Mortgage #2 Jun 2010: £60,000
    Both completely offset: 22/12/2011
  • RICK..._2
    Options
    Yeah, i mean i'm only really a motor sport fan which is why i don't have the sports package, but things you mentioned like documentaries, movies etc i do watch alot of. So may be worth it!
  • Inactive
    Inactive Posts: 14,509 Forumite
    Options
    It also depends on your actual TV and how good ( or not )it is at displaying SD channels.

HD picture quality is more noticable on TV's that are not very good at displaying SD.

On TV's that are good at displaying SD pictures, there is really very little noticable difference between HD and SD.
  • RICK..._2
    Options
    The TV i've got is a Philips 42PFL7603H, if that makes any difference.

The quality is good - but i've not really got anything to compare it to.
  • Inactive
    Inactive Posts: 14,509 Forumite
    Options
    I also have a Phillips 42" TV, mine is a plasma, but I cannot recall the model number.

Usually Plasma TV's are better at showing good quality SD pictures, if yours is a plasma, you probably will not notice a huge difference between SD and HD.

LCD TV's do generally show a bigger improvement.
  • LeeSouthEast
    LeeSouthEast Posts: 3,822 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I couldn't tell the difference on my friend's 42" plasma.
    Starting Debt: ~£20,000 01/01/2009. DFD: 20/11/2009 :j
    Do something amazing. GIVE BLOOD.
  • RICK..._2
    Options
    Mine is an LCD although previous TV was a plasma.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure