Watch TV Legally without a licence

Options
If you are not bothered about watching live TV you can save yourself £12 a month by watching television via the net. You only need a licence to watch LIVE TV, the BBC website says so. Most programmes are put on to the iplayer pretty quickly and as I don't watch much tele anyway this is a handy way of saving some handy dosh.

Comments

• jamespir
    jamespir Posts: 21,456 Forumite
    Options
    sgl1965 wrote: »
    If you are not bothered about watching live TV you can save yourself £12 a month by watching television via the net. You only need a licence to watch LIVE TV, the BBC website says so. Most programmes are put on to the iplayer pretty quickly and as I don't watch much tele anyway this is a handy way of saving some handy dosh.

watching iplayer is part of the bbc and is therfore covered by the licence fee sorry to dissapoint you and watching tele on the net be it llegally or other sites is allso live and covered under the licence fee so you cnat get out of it i know because i went to prison for refusing to get a licence using the exact same reasons as you
    Replies to posts are always welcome, If I have made a mistake in the post, I am human, tell me nicely and it will be corrected. If your reply cannot be nice, has an underlying issue, or you believe that you are God, please post in another forum. Thank you
  • sgl1965
    sgl1965 Posts: 25 Forumite
    Options
    Of course I realise the iplayer is operated by the BBC but the corporation's own website states you only need a licence to watch LIVE televison, therefore if something is available on iplayer at a later time than when it was broadcast LIVE you don't need a licence!
  • jamespir
    Options
    Of course I realise the iplayer is operated by the BBC but the corporation's own website states you only need a licence to watch LIVE televison, therefore if something is available on iplayer at a later time than when it was broadcast LIVE you don't need a licence!

according to the police or the judge who had me locked up for ten days you have to have a licence if you have a computer and a broadband connection or a tv and a dvd player even if you dont watch you still need a license otherwose we could all just record tele and watch it later
    Replies to posts are always welcome, If I have made a mistake in the post, I am human, tell me nicely and it will be corrected. If your reply cannot be nice, has an underlying issue, or you believe that you are God, please post in another forum. Thank you
  • sgl1965
    Options
    Why do I need a licence for my PC?
    You only need a licence if you use your computer to watch programmes at the same time as they are being shown on TV.

I think that is pretty clear?
  • jamespir
    Options
    Why do I need a licence for my PC?
    You only need a licence if you use your computer to watch programmes at the same time as they are being shown on TV.

I think that is pretty clear?

it doesnet stand up in a court of law how can you prove you only watch televison on your pc when they not shown live

the police see it as you ahve broadband you ahve the capacity to watch tv therefore you need a licence
  • sgl1965
    Options
    The BBC website does not mention the capacity to view programmes via the net , it simply states to watch live programmes you need a licence therefore if they are NOT LIVE you don't need one.
  • mandi
    mandi Posts: 11,932 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Stoptober Survivor
    Options
    The BBC website does not mention the capacity to view programmes via the net , it simply states to watch live programmes you need a licence therefore if they are NOT LIVE you don't need one.

A TV Licence provides a legal permission to install or use television receiving equipment in order to receive or record television programme services. ‘Television receiving equipment’ can be a television set, a VCR, a set-top box, a TV-enabled personal computer or any other equipment designed or modified to enable it to receive television programmes.

Hope that clears the matter up :)
  • jamespir
    Options

which is misleading because the tv license people state you do :rolleyes:

It is a criminal offence to watch 'live' television without a TV licence or to posses or control a device which you know or we reasonably believe could be used to watch 'live' TV without a TV licence. You could be prosecuted and fined up to £1000 (plus be ordered to pay legal costs) for these offences.
  • Good2go_2
    Good2go_2 Posts: 82 Forumite
    Options
    Sadly the BBC do not make the law, so I would be very wary of taking what say as the law !
  • roddydogs
    roddydogs Posts: 7,478 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You were locked up for not having a telly licence, when youve only got a comp?
    Seriously?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport