We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

MSE News: Fuel prices set to soar - how to beat the hikes

Options

Comments

• Hintza
    Hintza Posts: 19,420 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well if you can afford it, why not!

Ah you get the same consumption as me. Unfortunately the 17 mpg come when I'm towing the little treasures ponies around.
  • wizk1
    wizk1 Posts: 911 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 25 August 2009 at 3:58PM
    Options
    malkie76 wrote: »
    2p per litre is hardly a 'soar' is it? Guilty of sensationalist journalism?

In Guy's defence, the 2p per litre isn't the soaring part. The price of a barrel of oil is rising daily, pushing pump prices up further.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    2p OMG ... that'll mean this bank holiday weekend my 500 mile round trip will cost me £1 more!

I should cancel.
  • Tojo_Ralph
    Tojo_Ralph Posts: 8,373 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    MSE_Guy wrote: »
    "Fuel prices set to rise how to beat the hikes"

Well I read the article and nowhere did I find any advice on how to beat the price rise, all I saw was yet another MSE rehash. ;)
    The MSE Dictionary
    Loophole - A word used to entice people to read clearly written Terms and Conditions.
    Rip Off - Clearly written Terms and Conditions.
    Terms and Conditions - Otherwise known as a loophole or a rip off.
  • harveybobbles
    harveybobbles Posts: 8,973 Forumite
    Options
    Fuel is meant to be around £1.20 a litre towards the end of 2009...

time to stock up on chip fat me thinks...
  • Rolandtheroadie
    Options
    I've 80 litres in the garage and a 20 litre a week source for waste veg oil. But nothing to run it in.
  • theloft
    theloft Posts: 1,703 Forumite
    Options
    All the measures recommended help a little bit, and keeping your vehicle regularly serviced helps. Most of us wouldn't be without our cars and if the temperature is in the 80's , I'm using my air-con. Also if it rains, the only way I can keep the windscreen clear is to use it. But in the end most of the posters on this thread are correct, either you can afford to run your car or not! Changing to a better mpg car is an option but laying out another £5 to £10K tends to defeat the money saving aspect. Happy motoring!
    "0844 COSTS YOU MORE"
  • wizk1
    wizk1 Posts: 911 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    theloft wrote: »
    All the measures recommended help a little bit, and keeping your vehicle regularly serviced helps...

Changing to a better mpg car is an option but laying out another £5 to £10K tends to defeat the money saving aspect. Happy motoring!

So can getting your car serviced too often.
  • Jojo_Tate
    Options
    you can laugh at 2p not being much, but it all adds up over the year. I dont know why more people dont car-share on their commute. I met 2 other people on liftshare.com who travel the same way as me and we now take turns driving (so i leave my car at home 2 weeks out of 3) and im saving nearly a grand a year. Its a no-brainer.
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Could someone please explain just how driving more carefully is going to decrease my fuel consumption from an average 45mpg to 72mpg (60%) - surely a mistake ?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.9K Life & Family
  • 249.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure