Repaying Student Loans 2009/10 guide discussion

Options

Comments

• silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,968 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I personally think this page needs to be improved in three ways, relating to whether people should make voluntary overpayments.

1) Even if you click the post-2012 tab (where you can see that current rates are up to 6.1% for many borrowers), the following text still occurs lower down: "With student loan interest rates at 1.6%, it's extremely unlikely most other debts – whether credit cards, loans or hire purchase – are costing you less, so always pay those off before even contemplating touching your student loan." This is straightfowardly incorrect I think, many people paying 6.1% will be paying more in loan interest than on eg a mortgage.

The issue is just more complicated than the page makes out. Even if you are paying 6.1%, if your balance is so high you are unlikely to pay it off, then you are throwing money away by making overpayments -- you will keep paying the same amount until it is written off.

2) I think it should also give more emphasis, rather than just mentioning in passing: "Plus student loan debt has the safety that it needn't be repaid if your income drops." If I have both a 20k student loan and a 20k credit card, even if I'm paying £150 a month on each and more interest on the loan, I should pay the card off first probably. If I lose my job, the loan won't be a problem but the card will.

3) I don't think there's any discussion of plan 2 borrowers who failed to graduate. These people will *not* have their loans written off, as far as I understand it. They may wish to consider paying them off if they have the income. (I think! Not seen much discussion of this point.)

I agree with point 1 - in fact I have highlighted this to the MSE team.

point 2, I think, has been emphasised again and again.

point 3 - I have not heard this - do you have a source? Even if their loans are not written off, overpaying may still be a bad idea, as it would be a debt that may never need to be cleared.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • rubuhoeikanaika
    Options
    silvercar wrote: »
    I agree with point 1 - in fact I have highlighted this to the MSE team.

point 2, I think, has been emphasised again and again.

point 3 - I have not heard this - do you have a source? Even if their loans are not written off, overpaying may still be a bad idea, as it would be a debt that may never need to be cleared.

2) Agreed, but if this is supposed to be a 'one stop shop' page for the info, I think they should make a bigger deal of it. If I were them, I'd split it into "cashflow considerations" and "lifetime debt considerations".

3) Hmm actually now I'm struggling to find it.
  • Ed-1
    Ed-1 Posts: 3,892 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    2) Agreed, but if this is supposed to be a 'one stop shop' page for the info, I think they should make a bigger deal of it. If I were them, I'd split it into "cashflow considerations" and "lifetime debt considerations".

3) Hmm actually now I'm struggling to find it.

The write-off applies to anyone not in breach of the terms, not just those who finished the course.
  • jenny_f
    jenny_f Posts: 905 Forumite
    edited 29 July 2017 at 10:52AM
    Options
    I have a student loan, started in 2004 and graduated in 2007.

I have just under £4,000 left on it. I am paying around £70 per month out of my wage.

I am in a lucky position where I could just pay this off and clear it. I am obviously going to clear it through my wage anyway, this way would just mean it's done sooner.

I do have a mortgage (1.49% I think) so should I put towards that or just clear the student loan.
  • Mogley
    Mogley Posts: 250 Forumite
    Options
    jenny_f wrote: »
    I do have a mortgage (1.49% I think) so should I put towards that or just clear the student loan.

The student loan interest rates are guaranteed to be BOE base rate +1% or RPI inflation, whichever is the lowest. So current rate is 1.25%. If I had the option then I would overpay the mortgage before the student loan with your current situation. There may be other options you should consider before overpaying the mortgage because 1.49% is a low rate which you could beat with savings.
    You should pay attention to the needs of the moment - otherwise there is no future. But to ignore the future is foolish - living solely for the moment leaves nothing for when the next moment arrives.
  • MollyK
    Options
    Hi I started my 3 year course in Sept 1998 and took out a student loan. I have a mortgage and do not earn above the threshold. When would my student loan be wiped off?
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,136 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    MollyK wrote: »
    Hi I started my 3 year course in Sept 1998 and took out a student loan. I have a mortgage and do not earn above the threshold. When would my student loan be wiped off?

If you mean you have a mortgage style loan

n some circumstances you may have any outstanding balance written off, as long as you’re not behind on your repayments. For example, if you:

reach the age of 50 (or 60 if you were aged 40 or more when you last took out a loan)
    become permanently unfit for work due to a disability
    die
    haven’t paid back the full amount of your loan(s) 25 years after you start repaying.

https://www.nus.org.uk/en/advice/money-and-funding/how-and-when-do-i-repay-my-student-loan/
  • Mogley
    Options
    MollyK wrote: »

When you are 65.
    You should pay attention to the needs of the moment - otherwise there is no future. But to ignore the future is foolish - living solely for the moment leaves nothing for when the next moment arrives.
  • Budweiser_072000
    Options
    I recently got a new job and my loan repayments have now started coming through (finished uni 3 years ago) my first one for this month was £155!

Is it just me or is that high? currently on £28k a year
    2017 Debt - £14.5k
    2018 Debt - £11K
  • Mogley
    Options
    That is high. What was your first months's pay before tax?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback