PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

cheese rind

Hello

I have a bit of goats cheese here...it has a sort of waxy rind layer round the outside, what is this? Is it edible? Was wondering if I could chop it up and put it in my pasta but don't want to if it will ruin it!
August grocery challenge: £50
Spent so far: £37.40 :A

Comments

• meanmarie
    meanmarie Posts: 5,328 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Cheese merchants will tell you that the rind is as edible as the rest of the cheese, just takes longer to melt....shouldn't do you or dish any harm

Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
  • jacky_horn
    jacky_horn Posts: 105 Forumite
    First Post
    Yes it is edible but sometimes a bit hard to chew so is best used for its flavour only. Try using it in cooking as a flavouring. If it hasn't melted by the end of cooking you can sling it. It will have done its job.
  • mgardner
    mgardner Posts: 388 Forumite
    Hi Yes it is edible but I would not risk using it in a specific receipe. Try grating it and making a sauce and use it if you like the taste
    Sealed pot challenge 543
  • Seakay
    Seakay Posts: 4,265 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    cheese rind is edible but some cheeses are coated in wax so do make sure before you use it to cook with!
    Some versions of some recipes (eg casoulet) actually suggest putting cheese rinds into the dish to add flavour and avoid waste - parmesan rinds are very hard to grate up but will melt into a slow cooked dish very well.
  • Nigella advocates putting the cheese rind in the freezer until you have time to use it in your soup, or whatever. I'm sure I did this once but the freezer is now so full of green beans that I haven't seen it for ages
  • Interesting. I completely missed the post about checking if it was awxed and slung it all in my dinner this evening!

I heated it in a cheese and broccoli cup a soup with garlic, sage, pepper and veg, and used it as a pasta sauce. It didn't melt as such but it was very nice.

*dies of wax poisoning*
    August grocery challenge: £50
    Spent so far: £37.40 :A
  • Dr_DiNg_DoNg
    Dr_DiNg_DoNg Posts: 3,897 Forumite
    Italians use cheese rind in some soups.
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,620 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    I've often read that melting finished Parmesan cheese rinds in soups improves their flavour and have collected a number of rinds in plastic bags in my fridge for this purpose. But the rinds do taste a little stale and manky and now the soup making season is here, wonder if anybody actually does this and whether it really does improve the flavour?
  • rachbc
    rachbc Posts: 4,461 Forumite
    I put one in with minestrone soup but no others - I thinknit does add a savouriness and its not essential
    People seem not to see that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • Diflower
    Diflower Posts: 601 Forumite
    I save them in the freezer and add them when making pasta sauces like Bolognese, and some soups - when I remember:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure