We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Greenhouse advice

Options
I am looking for some advice regarding the purchase of a greenhouse. This year has been my first attempt at growing veggies and I've had the best time. I've learnt so much. At the start of the growing season I bought a very cheap plastic 6' by 4' greenhouse from poundstretcher (a sort of polytunnel/tent type) to see how I got on. I am pleased to say that I have had some good results in terms of tomatoes, courgettes, chillis and peppers. One of the biggest drawbacks of this greenhouse however has been the lack of ventilation (and the noise of the plastic covering in the wind, and the slugs....!!)

So I have decided to upgrade to a proper greenhouse for next year. I was in my local garden centre and they are selling off their display models. The one I liked was 6 by 4 and has the following features - a louvre window, an autovent, roof vent, water kit, shelving, integrated base plinthand toughened glass. The sale price is £500!! As a total novice I have no idea if this is a good price or expensive!! I know some of the DIY stores sell cheaper models but without some of the above features.

I would really appreciate any advice anyone can offer on the features I should look for in a greenhouse and what would be classed as a reasonable price.

Many thanks

Comments

• galacticgreen
    Options
    I bought my greenhouse at the end of last summer after using a plastic one like you. My only advice would be to buy as big a greenhouse as you can afford as you will fill it! Ventilation is really important and automatic vents are fab. At least you don't have to remember to open it up. Have fun with your greenhouse:j
  • cheekyweegit
    cheekyweegit Posts: 1,195 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Have you thought about asking on your local freecycle (https://www.freecycle.org) or even gumtree (https://www.gumtree.com)?

We have had a couple come up on ours recently so you never know so worth a try before you splash out.
  • Painkiller
    Painkiller Posts: 6,146 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
  • cheekyweegit
    cheekyweegit Posts: 1,195 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Painkiller wrote: »

Just tried my link, and you just stick your town in the search box and it brings up the UK one for my town.

But thanks anyway I never realised about the UK bit before.
  • Painkiller
    Painkiller Posts: 6,146 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I put Chester in the 1st link & had 8 American towns so googled the uk one & put it in just incase the OP gets similar reults. No offence intended :beer:
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Everyone's different. I prefer a cedar greenhouse, but dare say there are robust aluminium ones around. I'd expect to pay £300 - 500 depending on size for a secondhand one in good nick. It's an investment. Good ventilation & eaves heights are important, whatever it is. Cheap, flimsy metal greenhouses are horrible to work in and they make Radio 4 sound tinny!
  • Lotus-eater
    Lotus-eater Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 24 August 2009 at 9:32AM
    Options
    I'm sure we'd all like a cedar greenhouse :D just not the fact that you have to look after the wood, while an aluminium one you don't have to do anything with and they cost alot less.
    If I managed to find a 2nd hand wood greenhouse I would expect to have to do serious remedial work to it. So wouldn't even consider one most of the time.
    2nd hand greenhouses, wood or metal, can be a pain and involve alot of work to get down and up, if you are up to it, then great, if you are not, then think about it first.

Firstly work out how much you really want to spend and how big you can get it. It's said every time, but it really is true, get a big a one as you can, it is never ever big enough.

There are some horror stories around, about very cheap aluminum greenhouses with polycarbonate glazing. Don't forget you need some sort of a base as well, although you can get away with using concreted in poles at the corners and with the lighter ones, just pin them to the soil. But as I said above, the cheaper lighter ones have all sorts of stories about them around.
    Also have a look at the Kybotech thread before you decide to buy from any of its companies, they sell the Billy O greenhouse.

There are some very good aluminum greenhouses out there and most of the time you tend to get what you pay for, have a very good look around the online sites and search on here and google for them, most have been discussed before, also check out all of your local garden centres and let them know you are serious about buying one.

Not sure how you think slugs will be better in a greenhouse though :D

ps, my new GH was a Halls, a middling name and I have years of experience of being some sort of an engineer or another and yet the instructions were so bad, me and my stepfather spent a long time scratching our heads over it, horrible.

Autovents are great and worth having,

pps Ignore Dave and his Radio 4/cedar greenhouse poshness, he's just miffed because his new house hasn't got a greenhouse, only a conservatory :D
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
  • valk_scot
    valk_scot Posts: 5,290 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    There are some horror stories around, about very cheap aluminum greenhouses with polycarbonate glazing. Don't forget you need some sort of a base as well, although you can get away with using concreted in poles at the corners and with the lighter ones, just pin them to the soil. But as I said above, the cheaper lighter ones have all sorts of stories about them around.

On the other hand don't discount these if they're all you can afford. I bought mine mail order ten years ago, put it up myself and it's still going well and has been worth every penny and more of the ~ £100 I paid for it. A lot of the time it boils down to how well you put it together. I'm not a handyman per se and it took me a weekend, but I worked slowly and carefully and it's still standing...and looks set for a few years yet. Also, my kids were small when I got it and there was no way I was going to have a glass greenhouse in my small garden with them running around.

Anyway, back to the original question. £500 is quite a lot because basically you're paying for all the extras. If you need them then fantastic, good price, you'll not regret it. On the other hand you could buy one size up with less extras for the same amount or less. Then in future years you could upgrade the watering system etc as and when you felt the need and had the cash. You can't extend a small greenhouse that easily though!

On balance if I had the space and £500 I'd go larger, pay for good ventilation, an autovent system and some basic staging and work up from there. Toughened glass is a must though if you have kids or are the least bit wobbly on your feet.
    Val.
  • Lotus-eater
    Lotus-eater Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    valk_scot wrote: »
    On the other hand don't discount these if they're all you can afford. I bought mine mail order ten years ago, put it up myself and it's still going well and has been worth every penny and more of the ~ £100 I paid for it. A lot of the time it boils down to how well you put it together. I'm not a handyman per se and it took me a weekend, but I worked slowly and carefully and it's still standing...and looks set for a few years yet. Also, my kids were small when I got it and there was no way I was going to have a glass greenhouse in my small garden with them running around.

Anyway, back to the original question. £500 is quite a lot because basically you're paying for all the extras. If you need them then fantastic, good price, you'll not regret it. On the other hand you could buy one size up with less extras for the same amount or less. Then in future years you could upgrade the watering system etc as and when you felt the need and had the cash. You can't extend a small greenhouse that easily though!

On balance if I had the space and £500 I'd go larger, pay for good ventilation, an autovent system and some basic staging and work up from there. Toughened glass is a must though if you have kids or are the least bit wobbly on your feet.
    Maybe I was harder on cheaper greenhouses than I meant to be. But there is no doubt that there are alot of horror stories around about them and some good stories like yours as well.

I went for toughened glass for the same reasons you stated.
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
  • avantra
    avantra Posts: 1,327 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would like to add that I am also looking for a green house and would love to know if anyone here ever used a Botanico walk-in type. Due to space and price constrains I am opting for this design of tubular frame and heavy duty plastic (similar to Polytunell??) I have a good sheltered position for it but would love to hear if anyone here ever had one of those and can give her/his view.

1599_large_image.jpg
    Five exclamation marks the sure sign of an insane mind!!!!!

Terry Pratchett.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport