TV scrappage scheme

Options
Hi, I'm a newbie to this so apologies if this thread is in the wrong place.

I just wanted to check out the Sony TV scrappage scheme to see what Martin thinks about it, but I can't find any reference to it on the site - am I looking in the wrong place? :confused:

I read in the paper that Sony are giving upto £150 for old TVs when you buy a new more energy efficient model. We are looking to upgrade our TV, but would rather have advice about this scheme from Martin first.

Thanks for any help you can give with this,
Seaskye

Comments

• donnac2558
    donnac2558 Posts: 3,611 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I have seen the ads for this on TV. But its only Sony doing it so far it seems. Also I bet it will be the most expensive models they want you to buy. On one of the other boards here someone said the car one only applied to cars over £8,0000 to buy.
  • PsiDOC
    PsiDOC Posts: 354 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    nah AliceCooper has it wrong. Out the window with it!
    It's the only way I tell you!
    Remember.. Back straight and lift with the knees!

Psi
    Near a tree by a river, there's a hole in the ground.
    Where an old man of Aran goes around and around....

• Inactive
    Inactive Posts: 14,509 Forumite
    Options
    It is pure Sony gimmick.

Sales tactics, that's all.

Add £150 to the price of Sony TV, give punter £150 for old TV = one sale at full retail price for Sony.
  • Ypaymore
    Ypaymore Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    Options
    "Cynics will suspect that any discount Sony off through the scheme will be clawed back through higher prices. It has been seen (as described by our columnists Lucy Farndon) that car manufacturers have raised the prices of some cars to offset the discount they offer through the £2,000 car scrappage scheme. Our advice is, as ever, to shop around. Go online to compare prices from multiple retailers, factor in any discounts that may be on offer, and make your choice. Or perhaps you could decide you don't need a new TV at all "

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/bargains-and-rip-offs/article.html?in_article_id=489841&in_page_id=5
  • roddydogs
    roddydogs Posts: 7,478 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Panasonic are also doing a similar scheme.......its genuine but you wont of course get that plus an "online" price
  • alared
    alared Posts: 4,029 Forumite
    Options
    Now the car manufacturers have got away with increasing prices and hiding behind the scappage scheme,TV manufacturers are now getting on the bandwagon.
    I can see this developing into a growing trend for quite a lot of goods and gullible buyers.

For once I have to agree with Inactive who posted:

"Add £150 to the price of Sony TV, give punter £150 for old TV = one sale at full retail price for Sony"

Haven`t the likes of DFS been doing this for years.
    Buy a sofa for £400,triple it to £1200,have a "sale must end Sunday" (it never does though)
    Give double discount or whatever and end up with a price of £600.

Scrap your old sofa and we`ll give you £100 will be the lastest gimmick.
  • roddydogs
    roddydogs Posts: 7,478 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The Panasonic scheme IS genuine.......as only certain models are covered.
  • alared
    Options
    It`s that genuine they`re keeping it secret,not a mention of it on their site.

http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_GB/Home/203546/index.html
  • tfspark
    tfspark Posts: 135 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Does the Sony scrappage scheme apply where ever you buy it from or only Sony Centres?

If it's only from one of their centres then I guess you could shop around and get the same set for more than £150 cheaper. Especially if you buy online.
  • alared
    Options
    http://www.sony.co.uk/hub/rockers

All the Sony scrap offers, as thrown out of a hotel window by Alice Cooper.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure