MSE News: A guide to budget airline chutzpah

Options
This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"How on earth can "paying for the flight" or "checking-in" be deemed added extras?

It's worth taking a moment to admire budget airlines' sheer chutzpah.

While the Budget Airline Fee-Beating guide shows you how to avoid these charges, it's an education looking at how they get away with it...."

Read the full story:

OfficialStamp.gif
Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000

Comments

• torontoboy45
    torontoboy45 Posts: 1,064 Forumite
    Options
    the non-response from the eu governing body is curious.
    it's quite clear that the rule is being ignored; the wording of the rule is unambiguous. so how far does the eu's patience need to be pushed before it censures and fines?
    perhaps the 'budgets' are taking legal advice that tells them the rule is virtually unenforcable. if this is the case the eu should come clean and tell us.
    meanwhile, the rest of us can only shrug and continue to accept the antics of the 'budgets'.

mind how you go.
  • thefenman
    thefenman Posts: 238 Forumite
    Options
    Just a minor point, but the correct spelling is "sleight of hand"!
  • benjus
    benjus Posts: 5,433 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have mixed feelings on this one. While I can understand your point, I'm not sure I agree with it 100%.

Ryanair's online check-in charge, for example. It is not an extra any more than the tax is an extra - it's added to the flight price alongside the taxes. One of the main complaints against Ryanair seems to be that on one of their screens they still display the price of the flight without taxes and charges. Arguably they do this to make it harder to find the really cheap flights - e.g. when you're searching through a range of dates a flight priced at £0.00 may turn out to be £30 including taxes and charges when you click on it, while a flight priced at £1.00 may be a special offer all-inclusive fare.

As for the £40 airport check-in charge - Ryanair has decided to become an online-only airline, which is their decision to make as a business. Would it be better if they said "sorry mate, you can't fly" if someone forgets/loses their boarding pass?

I don't have any objections to them charging for different payment types, and I see no reason why the charge has to be proportional to the amount charged to the airline - last time I looked this was a free market economy where vendors could charge whatever customers would pay for any product or service. To take an example, here are two network cables that will do the same job and produce identical results (this is not my opinion - it is part of the cable specification); one costs 56p and the other costs £427: http://www.kikatek.com/product_info.php?products_id=114211&source=froogle and http://www.digitaldirect.co.uk/denon/ak-dl1.html. Should we ban the sale of the £427 one, or allow consumers to make their own decision?

I can certainly see an argument for the flight price exclusive of taxes & charges never to be displayed on its own (Easyjet is good in this respect), and for the costs of different payment methods to be displayed up-front (especially with Ryanair, as these costs can be so high). However, there needs to be a headline price, so I think it makes most sense to display the price with the free payment method - although a message saying that the price is only available with this payment method would be welcome.

It's also worth mentioning that it's not just budget airlines that practise these methods - I've been on plenty of sites for traditional scheduled airlines where an attractive price has quickly turned into a huge amount of money when taxes and charges were added.
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    "It's time for legislative change"
    Absoflaminlutely, but the EU teeth are still in the glass of water on the bedside table on many issues.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • alanrowell
    alanrowell Posts: 5,365 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    it's quite clear that the rule is being ignored; the wording of the rule is unambiguous.
    The rule says is that it must be possible to buy a flight for that price and that all unavoidable costs are included. It is possible to get the headline price Ryanair quotes, so it does fall within the rule
  • PolishBigSpender
    Options
    richardw wrote: »
    "It's time for legislative change"
    Absoflaminlutely, but the EU teeth are still in the glass of water on the bedside table on many issues.

Legislation will do nothing but make the fares rise.
    From Poland...with love.

They are (they're)
    sitting on the floor.
    Their
    books are lying on the floor.
    The books are sitting just there on the floor.
  • richardw
    Options
    Legislation will do nothing but make the fares rise.

So my €1 flight goes up to €5, I think I can live with that.
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options
    richardw wrote: »
    So my €1 flight goes up to €5, I think I can live with that.

Hardly money saving though, is it?

Also, do the EU not have much more important things to look at? Air travel is a choice, some would see it as a luxury. Surely priority should be given to things that affect everyone, or those that cannot afford any holiday?
    Gone ... or have I?
  • richardw
    Options
    dmg24 wrote: »
    do the EU not have much more important things to look at?
    Probably and the chances of that are small aswell.
  • Comstock
    Comstock Posts: 322 Forumite
    Options
    An interesting piece, Martin. I suppose the question would be, are there any airlines that are more straight up with their pricing?

Would be worth knowing about the good as well as the bad.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure