BMI Free Air Miles - Please Read this

Options
Hi,

I recently received my BMI card and used it a couple of times to be able to receive my free 20000 Air Miles. As I have an Amex Blue, I stopped using the BMI card.

I received a call from BMI yesterday, asking me if everything was alright. I asked them about the free air miles and they said "Well, you have to spend at least £250 in the first 90 days of receiving your card to qualify for it". It is good job I still have plenty of time to spend that much on it. However, maybe I was lazy, but I don't remember seeing this spending treshold in their T&C's.

I wanted to post this message to warn others like me.

Kind Regards,
nicky_boo

Comments

• blindman
    blindman Posts: 5,659 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I don't know who you spoke to (was it MBNA?) but it's NOT in the T&C's
    offer available to UK applicants, who make their first card purchase using the bmi Classic MasterCard within 90 days of the account opening date.

I spent £2.80 last time and qualified for the miles.
  • nicky_boo
    nicky_boo Posts: 84 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Blindman,

I did not see in their T&C's either and I thought I had missed a small print. I actually told this to the lady (that I haven't seen this condition in the T&C's), but she insisted that this is the way to qualify.

How do you know you qualified? Did you receive a letter? How long did it take for you to qualify after your purchase?

Does anybody else know anything about this?

Thanks,
    nicky_boo
  • blindman
    Options
    With my first card I spent £2.80 in the first few days.

After about a 2 weeks or so I got a letter which told me my BMI diamond club number.

I registered with BMI and after I had received my first MBNA statement (which DID NOT have the 20K miles on it) I checked on BMI Diamond and hey presto- 20,004 miles.

I then cancelled the card a month later.
    Just 'phoned them up and said I didn't need the card, no problem.

Now with my second card;)

I applied end of March, got accepted and card arrived 7th April.

Spent £22 at Tescos on 11th April.

Checked BMI Diamond club on 26th April, got 20K miles

Got MBNA statement today-27thApril (does not mention the 20k miles).

Now I'll cancel the card in about a month, wait a month then do it all again:D

and again

and again
  • legsXI_2
    legsXI_2 Posts: 34 Forumite
    Options
    I've also been told by a customer advisor about a minimum spend of £250 required to qualify for the 20,000 miles. I've got a print out of the terms and conditions and there's definitely no mention of it. If they're telling people they need to spend £250 when in fact you don't, that's terrible!
  • nicky_boo
    nicky_boo Posts: 84 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi again,

I received a letter saying that I qualified for 20000 Air miles today. I really do not understand this. As legsXI says, it seems that you do not really have to spend at least £250 to qualify. Not sure why the customer services are telling people to do so.

nicky_boo
  • blindman
    Options
    As legsXI says, it seems that you do not really have to spend at least £250 to qualify
    :huh:

I think you'll find it was me who told you that

I really do not understand this

What's not to understand, you've got the miles.
  • JoseChungsDoomsday
    Options
    I got the miles after 2 weeks, havent even got a statement...
    :santa2:
  • icarusi
    icarusi Posts: 94 Forumite
    Options
    nicky_boo wrote:
    Blindman,
    How do you know you qualified? Did you receive a letter? How long did it take for you to qualify after your purchase?

I noticed this:-

"• This offer is open to all new bmi Classic MasterCard holders who have applied via this application form containing details of the 20,000 destinations miles offer."

I applied before this detail, as per Martin's advice. Will it matter? I got a Diamond Club letter but no mention of the 20,000 miles.
  • MakingEndsMeetToo
    Options
    Does anyone know if a balance transfer to the bmi Amex card qualifies for the air miles?
  • thumshie
    thumshie Posts: 631 Forumite
    Options
    No..

http://www.flybmi.com/bmi/en-gb/reward-schemes/diamond-club/diamond-club-partners/bmi-credit-card.aspx
    Earn 1.5 destinations miles for every £1 spent on everyday card purchases to get you to over 850 worldwide destinations

BT's are not purchases....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport