We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Whats the best makes for garden hand tools?

Options
MrsE_2
MrsE_2 Posts: 24,162 Forumite
Combo Breaker First Post
Bought cheap garden forks in the past & I know they don't last long.

DH needs a hoe, to get the weeds out from cracks in the patio & drive (lots of weeds).

Whats the best makes for hoes, indeed for all garden hand tools?

Something really tough, that you buy once & it lasts for years.

Thanks in advance:beer:

Comments

• Lotus-eater
    Lotus-eater Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I like the swoe, had mine for years and always reach for that instead of a std hoe.
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
  • alanobrien
    alanobrien Posts: 3,308 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    With spades and forks etc i tend to go for all stainless steel (no wood handles) as this makes them more durable. With smaller hand tools i prefer wooden handles. Spear & Jackson have a good range - worth a look.
  • MrsE_2
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    alanobrien wrote: »
    Spear & Jackson have a good range - worth a look.

Thats the range I was thinking of..

Would you say its the best?
  • DKLS
    DKLS Posts: 13,460 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have a mix of Wolf, Spear and Jackson and Wilkinson Sword, garden tools, and all are surviving well unlike the Wilkinsons cheapies.
  • arkonite_babe
    arkonite_babe Posts: 7,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I would agree with the comment about spear and jackson, they are my personal prefernce. Cheap tools just aren't worth the hassle of replacing every season.
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,857 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The British firm Bulldog Tools have been in business for 200 years apparently and I've always found their products well priced and of good quality. Probably better value than some of other brands, too.

Hope that helps.
  • MrsE_2
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Is a hoe the correct tool for "weeding" a cracked drive & patio?
  • arkonite_babe
    arkonite_babe Posts: 7,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    MrsE wrote: »
    Is a hoe the correct tool for "weeding" a cracked drive & patio?
    I found through experience and hard work that you need a patio knife for this job, just using a hoe to scrap the weeds off the surface doesn't remove the root and can cause more weeds to spring up quicker.

HTH
  • MrsE_2
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I found through experience and hard work that you need a patio knife for this job, just using a hoe to scrap the weeds off the surface doesn't remove the root and can cause more weeds to spring up quicker.

HTH

Thats a bit short (googled it) DH has a bad back & needs a long handled tool.
  • Flowerpot_2
    Options
    MrsE wrote: »
    Thats a bit short (googled it) DH has a bad back & needs a long handled tool.

Hi MrsE
    Sneeboer gardening tools have an amazing range including a 'long handled stone scratcher' ........bit pricey (£34.95!) but will last a lifetime!!!!!!
    FP
    BR 2/6/2009 - AD 2/6/2010
    BSC member 273
    :A :D
    still not smoking :D :A
    :j
    'Dreams are necessary to life'

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing