PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

porridge in the slow cooker

Options

Comments

• pixie1
    pixie1 Posts: 1,442 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Im really sorry to have to ask, but im terrible at trying to navigate the searches on these boards :o

Does anyone have a slow cooker porridge recipe? I dont mind if its not an all night job as I have a timer but fancy waking upto my brekkie already made for me.

Any ideas?

Many thanks

Pix
    :jDebt Free At Last!:j
  • debtmuncher
    Options
    i do it in the microwave if thats any help?
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Options
    pixie1 wrote: »
    Im really sorry to have to ask, but im terrible at trying to navigate the searches on these boards :o

I'll add this to the existing thread for you ;)

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • uolypool
    uolypool Posts: 1,207 Forumite
    Options
    hi does anyone have a fool proof way of doing porridge in slow cooker over night please sons love porridge but don't like it done in micro or the cooker as have to clean pan!!! :rotfl::rotfl:many thanks in advance
    Paul Walker , in my dreams;)
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi uolypool,

There's an earlier thread with advice on cooking porridge in the slow cooker that may help so I've added your post to it to keep the suggestions together.

Pink
  • stef240377
    stef240377 Posts: 2,798 Forumite
    Options
    The other night i put 200g of oats, 1litre of uht milk and couple of spoons of sugar in the SC. I turned it on @ 11pm and about 3am it was cooked, it was on the low heat and i added more milk to it but there was no way of keeping it warm until the boys came down at 7am so for me was pointless.
    :j Was married 2nd october 2009 to the most wonderful man possible:j

DD 1994, DS 1996 AND DS 1997

Lost 3st 5lb with Slimming world so far!!
  • competitionscafe
    Options
    I am guessing pinhead oatmeal would work but rolled oats would not? In any case rolled oats only takes 5-10 mins on the hob.
    "The happiest of people don't necessarily have the
    best of everything; they just make the best
    of everything that comes along their way."
    -- Author Unknown --
  • Avocado
    Avocado Posts: 96 Forumite
    edited 19 November 2011 at 10:23PM
    Options
    For at least a decade I've made up porridge this way:

I cup oats (Tesco value are honestly the best for this), 1 cup milk (blue top best), 1 and 1/2 cups water. Lob in saucepan or pyrex, stick in fridge, nuke or warm on the hob in the morning.

If you add 1/2 cup of raisins and some cinamon along with the oats OMG it's fab. Chop a banana into it just before you warm it and breaky can get no finer. Of all the kids who have stayed here on sleepovers every single self proclaimed porridge hater has asked for seconds.

The secret is the cheap oats, posh ones don't work as well. ;-)

Edit to add: And the pan/ pyrex doesn't get all crusted up either because by the time it sees heat the ingredients are already soaked.
  • Eirah
    Eirah Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    Totally agree. Overnight soak. Two minute morning heat up. Creamy porridge goodness.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure