We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Birds ripping up my lawn HELP!!

Options
hi, could anyone offer any advice please , i did have a nice lawn but during the last 3 weeks i have had a visit from a blackbird and another brown coloured bird and they have been pecking and ripping up hte lawn and it looks awful i have given up trying to repair and sow new seed.

What can i do .
any advice thanks
you go in the cage ! cage goes in the water ! sharks in the water ! our shark :eek:

Comments

• ljonski
    ljonski Posts: 3,337 Forumite
    Options
    i am a s/e cat. I will see this bird off for a weeks supply of whiskas. Big birds are extra !
    "if the state cannot find within itself a place for those who peacefully refuse to worship at its temples, then it’s the state that’s become extreme".Revd Dr Giles Fraser on Radio 4 2017
  • alanco15
    alanco15 Posts: 275 Forumite
    Options
    :rotfl::rotfl:, thanks all the same but i already have a cat, but she just seems to like to watch the birds :confused:
    you go in the cage ! cage goes in the water ! sharks in the water ! our shark :eek:
  • kazwookie
    kazwookie Posts: 13,881 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Get some old cd's the shinier the better, put them on to garden canes or similar with string, place into lawn......................

Run round dressed like a scarecrow?? :rotfl:

Sit outside and bang saucepans together?? :rotfl:
    Breast Cancer Now 100 miles October 2022 100 / 100miles
    D- Day 80km June 2024 6.4/80km
    Sun, Sea
  • ljonski
    ljonski Posts: 3,337 Forumite
    Options
    perhaps you are feeding your cat too much ?
    "if the state cannot find within itself a place for those who peacefully refuse to worship at its temples, then it’s the state that’s become extreme".Revd Dr Giles Fraser on Radio 4 2017
  • tanith
    tanith Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    That brown coloured bird is Mr. Blackbirds wifey.... I agree with putting out shiny CD's they don't like it, or bits of tin foil on sticks ...
    #6 of the SKI-ers Club :j

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke
  • alanco15
    alanco15 Posts: 275 Forumite
    Options
    thanks all, i will try the cd thing, would making a scarecrow do any good or are birds just not that stupid.
  • MunnyBoiler
    Options
    Yep, Mr & Mrs Blackbird are enjoying your garden!

When I'm trying to keep wild birds from pecking at parts of my garden, I want them to leave alone, I use those little windmills. I bought a load last year in a sale and they are moved around the garden as required
  • Lucyxx
    Lucyxx Posts: 3,147 Forumite
    Options
    Would it help if you chucked out some chunks of slightly over ripe apple or raisins? then they'll eat that rather than peck at the lawn for worms hopefully? that is if you don't mind them in.
  • Kevstir
    Kevstir Posts: 125 Forumite
    Options
    isnt this about the time leatherjackets are around, you could have them under your lawn and the birds are having a feast.
  • jjjme
    jjjme Posts: 38 Forumite
    Options
    Lucyxx wrote: »
    Would it help if you chucked out some chunks of slightly over ripe apple or raisins? then they'll eat that rather than peck at the lawn for worms hopefully? that is if you don't mind them in.

Thats what I've been doing this year - cheap smart price sultanas/raisins from ASDA - they absolutely love them and can honestly say I haven't once seen them attack the lawn instead.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport