🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Removing NTL Cable

Options
Hi

We've just moved house and the original owners (not the last owners) obviously had NTL. I say obviously, due to the number of NTL TV sockets around the house (maybe 4 or 5).

Unfortunately, most of the TV sockets are at waist height (i'm 6'3") with the wires entering the house at window sil level. About 60% of the phone sockets (of which we have over 10) are not attached to the wall and are floating.

We are currently in the process of decorating a number of the rooms which have these NTL boxes in and part of the plan is to have them removed as they look bloody awful to say the least, plus we're never going to subscribe to cable. The cabling going into the house is very loose and not attached to the walls, just hanging with the internal cabling just nailed to the middle of skirting.

Is this as straightforward as calling up NTL (or Virgin Media) and asking them to remove the boxes? I've read elsewhere that they won't do it but have any of you other members had experiences with this?

I haven't noticed any main boxes external to the house where the cable service could enter, however there is a very old and rusty satellite dish on the side of the house. Could i be mistaken and could it be an NTL satellite service (do they even do such a thing)? In which case, this could make things simpler.

Thanks in advance

Kev

Comments

• macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    NTL was a cable service, not satellite. There must be a main entry point into the house somewhere, probably on the shortest path to the access hatch in the pavement. Why don't you just remove them yourselves?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • payless
    payless Posts: 6,957 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 19 August 2009 at 12:53PM
    Options
    Kevin Webster...

Have you asked Ashley or Claire if they ever used the cable at No 4, before they moved to No 13
    Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as (financial) advice.
  • Alias_Omega
    Alias_Omega Posts: 7,912 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It could be handy to keep the socket points within the house.

We currently pay £30 per month for..

10MB Broadband
    XL Tv Package
    Phone Line with free weekend calls

Now with that, we dont pay a BT line rental. So throw that into the package.

£30 minus £9.50 (BT) = £20.50 for Tv, 10MB BB and Phone line.

Madness.
  • kevinwebster83
    Options
    Payless - thanks for that! :T. Maybe i'll send Sally and the kids around later

Macman - yeah, i had considered removing it myself but i was worried about disrupting other peoples service if i screw up. I have a hammer and screwdriver so i guess nothing much could go wrong. At least if i get the internal boxes disconnected, i might be able to terminate the cables entering the house and tidy up the wiring.

Guess i can take my hammer and screwdriver to the old satellite dish first then, happy days.

Thanks

Kev
  • The_One_2
    The_One_2 Posts: 355 Forumite
    Options
    I too am in a similar position, i am coming to the end of my 12 month contract with VM after about 10+years of loyalty.

Will be moving to an ADSL broadband service, BT line and Freeview/Freesat for TV.

So i too wanted to know if your allowed to disconnect/remove all the wires on the inside and outside of the house that lead into the little box on the outside of the house?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport