My kettle has stopped working

Options
My kettle has just stopped working, I've had it for about 18 months and I went to switch it on today and nothing...

It's a prestige urban kettle and although it's not a really expensive kettle I'd rather repair than replace it. Does anyone know where I should be looking to take it to, to get it repaired? Will Prestige repair it if I send it to them?? I've replaced the fuse and checked that it wasn't a problem with the plug but thats as far as my knowledge of electrics gpes.

Thanks in advance
Stokegal
LBM - Oct 2020 - £37500
Currently - £8409
77% cleared!

Comments

• TomsMom
    TomsMom Posts: 4,251 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Did you keep any of the paperwork that came with it? Thinking here that there should be a leaflet with details of where to send to get repaired, or even maybe if you got it from Boots that there was a 2 year guarantee with it????
  • manda1205
    manda1205 Posts: 2,366 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Going by whats been said in the papers recently you can claim for a repair or new one under EU law, which states that things should be guarantee'd for 2 years. Its just our country that says theres 1 year with things, but if you state you know the EU law they "should" repair or give you a new one. Provided you've kept the reciept.
    In the papers/news a man claimed through Tesc and although he had to argue it he got a new tv in the end, so its worth a shot.
  • Antispam
    Antispam Posts: 6,636 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Dont go the EU directive route it gives less guarantee than the SOGA as that can go up to 6 years unlike EU directive.

Both SOGA and EU give the onus on the customer to prove the goods had a inherent fault
  • frugalmacdugal
    frugalmacdugal Posts: 10,077 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi,

sorry about your kettle

Was it a very expensive little number, if you have had it for 18 months then I dare say it's had a fair boiling.

I stay myself, and only cover the element when boiling, just enough to make a cup of very strong coffee at about half five in the morning.

You can get a Tesco or Argos Value kettle for less than a fiver, bin it.
  • Inactive
    Inactive Posts: 14,509 Forumite
    Options
    Agreed, bin it, they ain't worth repairing.
  • ljonski
    ljonski Posts: 3,337 Forumite
    Options
    my kettle works indiscriminately-usually 3 days on and 2 days off- i have no idea why ? :confused:
    "if the state cannot find within itself a place for those who peacefully refuse to worship at its temples, then it’s the state that’s become extreme".Revd Dr Giles Fraser on Radio 4 2017
  • Magnolia
    Magnolia Posts: 1,271 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    ljonski wrote: »
    my kettle works indiscriminately-usually 3 days on and 2 days off- i have no idea why ? :confused:

Maybe it thinks you drink too much coffee? :confused:
    Mags - who loves shopping
  • bubblegumcola
    bubblegumcola Posts: 1,100 Forumite
    Options
    I agree bin it. Several years ago I got a kettle from Currys or Comet for about 20 odd quid, can't remember which shop but they tried to flog me a guarantee with it. I just laughed at the SA and said if it lasts me the year I will be happy, couldn't believe they were trying to flog an extended guarantee with it. You can buy a kettle so cheaply now, I just go and buy another, there are always sales on if you want a fancy one.
  • geordie_lass_2
    Options
    Just looked at the Prestige kettles on the Argos website and they come with a 2 year manufacturers guarantee. If that's the case for all Prestige kettles and you have proof of purchase then you should be able to get it repaired or replaced free.
  • maninthestreet
    maninthestreet Posts: 16,127 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    No point getting alll STEAMED up about this, it just BOILS down to a non-functioning kettle. Seems like a STORM IN A TEACUP to be honest.
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport