has anyone tried to claim back unfair bank charges from an NI bank?

Replies

• I just got a £30 "returned direct debit fee" refunded from the Ulster Bank, using the standard letter which Martin refers to. Not a big amount but it's definatly worth giving it a go with the Norn Irish banks too.
  • nadnadnadnad Forumite
    1.6K Posts
    i'm about to write letters to First trust regarding my own, my OH and our joint accounts. Over the last 6 years we've only incurred £250 worth of fees - I know its not a huge amount, but I think its worth a go - anything is better than nothing.

I don't know why we are still with the FTB - I used to work for them (5 years ago)and left in disgust after being treated appalingly.

They had a staff meeting one morning and the managers words were and I quote (I wrote it down when I got home) "We don't want scum that work in tescos coming in here trying to open bank accounts and we definitely don't want students with their paltry loans"!! I couldn't believe it - I was sitting thinking to myself surely its everyday people such as those in retail, supermarkets whatever that make up the bulk of their business in mortgages and loans etc, and he obviously didn't think far enough ahead to realise that students would also one day require mortgages and loans and credit cards. And it was at that moment I decided I needed to get out!!

Always meant to change accounts but have never done it i'm terrible I know, but i've all my direct debits set up there and i'm all set up online and everything and I never seem to get the time to look about opening elsewhere. Ah well I'll let you know how I go trying to claim this money back.
    DON'T WORRY BE HAPPY ;)

norn iron club member no.1
  • as i am a student i never get charger for unauthorised overdrafts from first trust (gonches wudnt give me a loan:mad: ), but my boyf has had nothing but fee after fee with UB. They sent him a letter 2weeks ago saying that Vodafone had tried to withdraw £46 frm his account and there were insufficent funds so they charged him £30!!!!! then last week the same letter...

y did they not allow the charge to come out and charge 30quid!!!!!

the fact of the matter is that no money at all was withdrawn but they still charge him 60quid!???

am i missing something here??
    Hi, my names katrina and I'm a spendaholic!? Trying to save!?! still havent managed it!! :o
  • 105k105k Forumite
    14 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I was with the Ulster Bank up until a couple of years ago. Everytime I got charged for going into the red I rang my local branch and politely asked them to drop the charges. Without exception they always did. I only changed accounts because of the ridiculous DD setup charge.
  • Thanks for the info guys, I'm going to send the first letter off this week and see how I get on.

Cheers!

Natalie x
  • bingo_bangobingo_bango Forumite
    2.6K Posts
    The General Consumer Cuncil has produced a guide to claiming back unfair charges from the NI big 4. http://www.gccni.org.uk/online_documents/Guide_to_challenging_your_bank.pdf

Available for nowt!
  • IvanOpinionIvanOpinion Forumite
    21.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Not going to get overly involved here since I am already in a large discussion about this on the vent board but... if you are continually paying bank fees then you need to take a look at how you are managing your money .. lose the luxuries like mobile phones and designer clothes etc .. if you can't afford it then do not buy it. Consider switiching to an account that has lower headline interest rates and look for one with lower charges. Also organise an authorised overdraft - at least then you only need to pay interest - but under no circumstances consider the authorised overdraft as 'available money' it is only there as a buffer to avoid large fees.

Rather than worrying about paying back fees you really want to be in a situation were you have a little buffer at the end of each month so that you do not incur fees .. much less stressful ... and you might earn a little interest. Once that is done you can then switch to a higher interest paying account.

Ivan
    Board sex symbol
  • nadnadnadnad Forumite
    1.6K Posts
    Not going to get overly involved here since I am already in a large discussion about this on the vent board but... if you are continually paying bank fees then you need to take a look at how you are managing your money .. lose the luxuries like mobile phones and designer clothes etc .. if you can't afford it then do not buy it. Consider switiching to an account that has lower headline interest rates and look for one with lower charges. Also organise an authorised overdraft - at least then you only need to pay interest - but under no circumstances consider the authorised overdraft as 'available money' it is only there as a buffer to avoid large fees.

Rather than worrying about paying back fees you really want to be in a situation were you have a little buffer at the end of each month so that you do not incur fees .. much less stressful ... and you might earn a little interest. Once that is done you can then switch to a higher interest paying account.

Ivan

i know what you're saying Ivan but I have never been charged because I was spending money on "luxuries" - fair enough I admit that on the times I have been overdrawn its been my fault - no one elses but I have only ever been overdrawn like £10 at most - ever - and fair enough thats still my oversight (wages late, unexpected bill, not keeping a close eye whatever). But I have always had plenty of money in my linked savings account with the First Trust - and as I used to work there I know that when they bring one account up the others appear as well, so they could always see the money was there, so it bothers me that they charge soooo much. I just think that the charges are too much - not completely unjustified.

You just can't assume that everyone who goes overdrawn has done so because they are spending money on "designer clothes".
    DON'T WORRY BE HAPPY ;)

• Further to Ivanopinion's post, I think the main point is if you have committed bills (DDs) to your bank account its best practice to ensure there is enough money in account to cover them. Then if you have any cash to spare then luxuries are yours.:j
    planing for the future, living for today ;)
  • nadnadnadnad Forumite
    1.6K Posts
    yes and my main point is that although the banks may be entitled to charge some thing - their present charges are extortionate.

how is it fair that if you go overdrawn by 1p for 1 day you get charged account maintenance charges for a quarter???
    DON'T WORRY BE HAPPY ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Who can suggest a top-notch bed?

This Forumite's mattress is in need of a base

MSE Forum

Top theatre lotteries

How to grab £10-£25 tix for Cabaret, Matilda etc

MSE Deals