🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Students

Options
Hi there on the 1st Sept 09 i'm moving into another (private owned) student house with 4 other people.

The house has 2 floors. I'm looking for the best wireless package I can get.

basically want fast reliable internet, with a free wireless box from the isp. Can anyone recommend some good student (10 month) deals?

Or any good 12 month deals going on at the moment?

Cheers

Comments

• ste_coxy
    ste_coxy Posts: 426 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Doubt u can get any for 10 months however, the best highly rated ones I have seen are either 02's Home Broadband packages. They range from £7.34 p/m for Standard (upto 8MB), £9.79 p/m for Premium (upto 20MB) and £17.13 p/m for Pro (upto 20MB) and this particular one comes with an enhanced router and you can get Mcafee security softwear for upto 5 computers. One of you need to have a 02 phone though whether that be PAYG or contract. Check it out:

http://broadband.o2.co.uk/home/index.jsp

There is also £50 cashback on one of the cashback websites. Type in 02 cashback on google.

(You will need to have a landline for it though.)
    456789 Posts: 2,305 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    afaik virgin media do 9 month deals for students
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    It has been a while since we got our internet installed (March), and the company we went with after looking at others was Talk Talk (as it offered the best package for us, and was the cheapest -you would need to check this though as there may be other offers now), and I am certain the contract was longer than 10 months.

But if you need to get a phone line installed prior to getting te internet, I found the Post office the best for this as there was no minimum contract on the phone line and they had the cheapest connection fee. We got the line installed and then cancelled the contract. I found the other phone line providers insisted on longer minimum contracts before they would install a line.
  • cheghead
    cheghead Posts: 849 Forumite
    Options
    Jaymo wrote: »
    Hi there on the 1st Sept 09 i'm moving into another (private owned) student house with 4 other people.

The house has 2 floors. I'm looking for the best wireless package I can get.

basically want fast reliable internet, with a free wireless box from the isp. Can anyone recommend some good student (10 month) deals?

Or any good 12 month deals going on at the moment?

Cheers

Get VirginMedia if you are in a fibre optic cable area (check their site with your student adddress on their website). No phone line required. Will cost 15/mth for first 3 months and 20 for remaining. You get free standard installation. 10mb speed with un-limited downloads. Free wireless router. First of all sign up to quidco.com if you don't already have an account. Click thru quidco referall to VirginMedia and you will currently get 150 pounds back. Make sure you clear your cookies before going thru quidco if you have already visited the site before. Make sure you sign up in your name only as quidco only pay out to the named account holder. You can share your good fortune with your other hm's our keep quiet and pocket the money as you recieve bills by e-mail only.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport