🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Sky.. 7 months and still ahven't cancelled.. and moving - what to do??

Options
Hey everyone.. any advice/opinions gratefully received :)

Basics are:

Moved out of previous property in Oct last year... Still ahd 3 months contract left so set up to pay that (as I was moving into parents and they already had sky)

When I cancelled they kept sending bills, they keep screwing up - evidentily someone new has moved in and they tried to bill me for their calls..

I have been told on 3 occasions now that they are in teh wrong - this is 'very unusual' and it's all sorted don't worry.

Then get letter saying - sorry you want to leave, but we can't cancel becuase you owe us £xxx

Now that's just annoying... but here's my question..

Am soon to be moving in with my boyfriend.. We want sky me thinks (as no cable)..

DO I ring about recent bill to sort out, and ask what they will offer me to stay - playing on the fact they've messed me around for 7 months..

OR

Just register as a new customer??

Opinions or advice welcomed..

cheers..

Comments

• Chimera
    Chimera Posts: 492 Forumite
    Options
    anyone? ??
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 25 August 2009 at 2:19PM
    Options
    You don't say what services you are referring to-phone/broadband/TV?
    If you left the account open and the phone in service, then the new occupier would indeed be able to make calls that would be billed to your account-it's your responsibility to cancel when you leave the property. You would need to pay them anything owing after you cancelled, and allowing the notice period. If you cancelled inside the notice period then there would be an early termination fee.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Chimera
    Options
    Sorry.. I'll try and be clearer.

I had tv/broadband and phone with line rental from BT

Last Oct I moved. Contract still had 3 months to run.

Customer Services cancelled what they could and reduced me down to minmum package on rest. Once 3 months were up account was cancelled.

Sky have billed me every month since for phone calls.
    Each time I phone up - they say - YES, they are at fault (not me) and they'll sort it

Actually just spoke to a guy who has said everything is cancelled and he can't work out how I'm still getting billed. He's sent of to technical people to sort out..

I just want to know is it worth me trying to get a good deal off them because of this - I no longer have sky box.. so will need installation in new propert, sky plus, plus broadband and phone. What are the chances of me getting a decent deal d'ya think?

And if I didn't get a good deal, would my new address then be linked with my account so I couldn't get new contract (if you know what I mean - don't know if they will ask for address before they offer).

I explained to bloke I spoke to, as he was very apologetic.. I've spent 8 months now trying to sort this out.. cost me loads in phonecalls and time, and NONE of it is my fault.. he said to phone customer service and reference my account number to see if they would give me a deal ...
  • macman
    Options
    You say they've billed you-but since you have presumably cancelled your DD, they haven't taken any money and don't owe you anything? What you are looking for is compenation for the hassle, which is not easy to get from telecoms cos.
    If your CS guy gave you an indication that they would do you a deal, then what have you got to lose by asking when the time comes?
    Personally I would ditch Sky and go elsewhere after all the hassle that they have given you-who needs them, they don't offer anything that isn't available elsewhere.
  • Chimera
    Options
    Yup.. Billed me, but no DD

I would go else where, but BT is much more expensive and don't think I can get virgin.. might phone up sky tonight to see what they will offer
  • macman
    Options
    Lots of better options than BT/Virgin/Sky for broadband. Bundles are not necessarily the best way to go.
    Look at your LLU options on samknows.com.
    O2 is good, but only if you can get it LLU on your exchange.
  • kat212
    kat212 Posts: 173 Forumite
    Options
    If i was you i would sign up as a new customer, your going to get a much better deal this way. No matter what your going to be signed in for 12 months. Also your going to get a better deal, we have just moved house but sky wanted to charged £60 moving fee. so we signed up as new customers and got a much better deal of it
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport