immersion heater versus oil fired boiler

In light of the current oil prices does anyone know if it is cheaper to use an immersion for hot water versus an oil fire boiler? I know immersions are supposed to be more expensive.. just thinking about this as the price of oil continues to increase ( mind you so is electricity!)

Comments

• eilz
    eilz Posts: 354 Forumite
    A little of point >> I would also like to know if its cheaper to run the immersion in the summer, and gas in the winter, as my old system only heats water if the damm heating is switched on, but has a emmersion heater also, which I gues can be used in summer to heat only the water.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    spaggy wrote:
    In light of the current oil prices does anyone know if it is cheaper to use an immersion for hot water versus an oil fire boiler? I know immersions are supposed to be more expensive.. just thinking about this as the price of oil continues to increase ( mind you so is electricity!)

It will be cheaper to use an immersion heater on Economy 7 rates than use oil, and possibly even gas(depending on the rate you pay for gas and E7 electricity.

It is not possible to give a definitive answer as it depends on the what you pay for gas/electricity/oil and the efficiency of your boiler.

If you assume immersion heaters are 100% efficient and gas/oil boilers are 80% efficient you can work out the cost from the tariff you pay.

I would estimate the following approx costs.

E7 immersion ................................. 3p kWh
    Daytime immersion .......................... 8p kWh
    Gas .............................................. 2.5p kWh
    Oil ................................................ 4.5p kWh

I would stress that the above is a very approx estimate as prices for gas/electricity/oil vary tremendously depending on region and utilility company.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure