Nick Clegg & David Cameron reply to Bank Charges open letter

Options

Comments

• redstararnie76
    Options
    So many issues in this country are political; you can't avoid politics!
    Of course, Nick Clegg's reasons for championing this, aren't entirely unselfish, but so would David Cameron's, had he recognised the opportunity it offered him.
    Also, of course any sensible Lib Dem would see this forum as an opportunity, but so would any sensible politician of any persuasion.
    My point is, that we should recognise that Nick Clegg is using this issue to win votes, but we should also have the sense to see that any politician raising an issue that we want championed is a positive thing.
    And yes - I am an optimist!
    ;) Working hard in the hopes of being 'lucky' ;)
  • Rayl123
    Options
    Obviously bank charges are extotionate everyone knows this so why do people pay them.

I have been banking with Lloyds for over 40 years and never been charged. I can understand someone being overdrawn on the odd occasion but people who build up massive charges over long periods deserve what they get.

The one benefit is that these people allow therest of us to bank free.

RL
  • Nathan_Spleen
    Options
    Rayl123 wrote: »
    Obviously bank charges are extotionate everyone knows this so why do people pay them.

I have been banking with Lloyds for over 40 years and never been charged. I can understand someone being overdrawn on the odd occasion but people who build up massive charges over long periods deserve what they get.

RL

I don't incurr charges either but I'd rather pay for my own banking services and not have them subsidised by extortionate charges imposed on the less well off.
  • jos004
    jos004 Posts: 222 Forumite
    Options

RL

I you have nothing at all meaningful to say, I suggest you go elsewhere.
  • MrsG08
    Options
    I would like to know if you have already claimed once before are you then able to claim again for further charges gained?
  • natweststaffmember
    Options
    MrsG08 wrote: »
    I would like to know if you have already claimed once before are you then able to claim again for further charges gained?
    Yes you can,
    I have not worked for NatWest Bank since February 2009

This username is no longer active.
  • natweststaffmember
    Options
    The cost is not necessarily the issue but the interplay of one charge leading to another charge.
    Totally agree with you. I mean, your partner dying is definitely deliberate on their part, and being made redundant because there is no work is definitely their fault.
    And do not even get me started on a shortage of overtime cos that is definitely the fault of the customer totally. In fact, I think lloydsTSB DO NOT charge enough or do not make add a bonus so that if a charge takes you into you over your agreed limit that they should add a charge to the charge at say £300.00 a time(like a bonus)

So you dirty peasants, it's your fault for the charges regardless of any circumstances so keep up the good work
    RL

Can we just all get along ;) ?

• easygoin
    Options
    So many issues in this country are political; you can't avoid politics!
    Of course, Nick Clegg's reasons for championing this, aren't entirely unselfish, but so would David Cameron's, had he recognised the opportunity it offered him.
    Also, of course any sensible Lib Dem would see this forum as an opportunity, but so would any sensible politician of any persuasion.
    My point is, that we should recognise that Nick Clegg is using this issue to win votes, but we should also have the sense to see that any politician raising an issue that we want championed is a positive thing.
    And yes - I am an optimist!
    - Agree to a point - damned if they do damned if they don't. Why is it sneaky and dishonest to agree and champion what most of the electorate would agree with? what the heck have most of us been moaning about for countless years? You then get a major political voice come and give his and his parties support and we get this cynical nonsense about opportunism. So many aspects of life are about grabbing opportunities - my current job applications certainly are.

My biggest disgust has to rest with the misguided (being nice) fools who when they hear common sense politics and politicians that listen to the public, end up saying "oh it's a wasted vote" or "well they can say that as they won't get in" or "cynical attempt to get free publicity" or other stupid and ignorant comments like these - you deserve the **** that will no doubt get in due to this ignorant mentality - well done! bravo! you more than likely give nothing back to your community, but sit there pointing fingers and bemoaning everything and everyone who tries to effect positive change... so next time, you will go and vote the wastes of space we have as so called mainstream political parties back in so you can continue to say that you don't trust any politicians and that they are all the same. Maybe you guys should look up the definition of Democracy and the theory behind it - one voice, one vote ... if you like what you hear and it makes common sense, then vote for them regardless of whether it is a so called "wasted vote"...rant over lol ;)
  • Nathan_Spleen
    Options
    Nick Clegg has published his letter to MSE and confirmed he will table a motion when Parliament returns on 12 October.

''Nick Clegg and Vince Cable this week pledged to put a motion before Parliament to put pressure on the government and banks to act to return the money charged to customers by banks unfairly. Following an email campaign by MoneySavingExpert.com, Nick Clegg responded to an email sent to its members.''

''He also stated the Liberal Democrats commitment to debate consumer protection at the forthcoming Liberal Democrat Autumn Conference in Bournmouth. Read the full article: Here

http://www.nickclegg.com/2009/08/unfair-bank-charges/
  • natweststaffmember
    Options
    http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/showpost.php?p=125111&postcount=11
    Nick Clegg, if you ever read this thread please see the post cos it is what you are going to do. That is how I got the sack by leaking it ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family