Nick Clegg & David Cameron reply to Bank Charges open letter

Options

Comments

• Robert_Sterling
    Options
    I was surprised by the use of the word "publically" in the lead page of MSE today.
  • Lansdowne
    Lansdowne Posts: 570 Forumite
    Options
    I was surprised by the use of the word "publically" in the lead page of MSE today.

There is no word "publically" in the English language. I expect it is supposed to read "public ally" as in "Martin Lewis of MSE Towers today declared himself a public ally of Lib Dem leader Nick Clegg".
  • dial_2
    Options
    everybody copy and paste nick cleggs letter and send it to david camerons email - camerond@parliament.uk to show him that you feel the same as nick clegg about this rip off by the banks:mad:
  • shig
    Options
    Well if they stand by what they say
    Strike up 1 more vote for the Lib Dems and lets hope the rest of their policies and morals are the same

Nice one Nick
  • mandi
    mandi Posts: 11,932 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Stoptober Survivor
    Options
    richwoo wrote: »
    Some bank charges may have resulted from an odd accidental overdraft system, but in fact most banks would wave such charges against a customer who regulated their account properly as a rule. The people who have had charges adding up to considerable sums have regularly deliberatly overdrawn. Mr Clegg- "money they so unfairly took from customers."!!!!! What about the money the customers took from the banks without permission - that's theft. I think its quite right that they should pay a penalty and think themselves lucky that they were not prosecuted.

Everything about your post is incorrect Richwoo

Ill give you a great example . My DS opened his first account with Nat West aged 17 to pay in £ 30.00 a week EMA

Instead of a Step account he was given a current account , cheque book , cheque/ debit card the works .

He was then " allowed" by the bank to overspend on his debit card , by £ 1.20, what did the bank do ? they applied charges of nearly £400!! then when he refused to pay them they turned nasty .

So tell me , whos fault was it ? Was it my son , thinking he had the funds to pay with his card ? Or the bank for giving a 17 an account he could overdraw on with just £30.00 a week income. Difficult to say really isnt it...........:rolleyes:
  • tobyblume
    Options
    hi Natweststaffmember

BOTH:exclamati
    Tony are you in favour of more access to credit unions? or perhaps more financial education to those who do find themselves in financial hardship?

Apologies if we are kinda skating close to being off topic.

Financial literacy is very important - Martin you're doing a fantastic job! - but you also need to address the way banks (and other financial institutions) operate. We're in favour of credit unions (and Community Development Finance Institutions), a cap on interest charges and a Community Reinvestment Act to eliminate discrimination in financial services. Why should poor people pay more for basic services? especially since the banks have had all our money.

Toby
  • Spartacus_Mills
    Options
    As welcome as this is I see this as nothing but a cynical attempt by the Lib Dems to get a bit of free publicity. The reality is that the Lib Dems in power are no better than the other parties. they make promises, fail to keep them, and ignore the wishes of their electors as much or less as any other party. They just try to make out they are different.

I would hope that during the election campaign MSE, as a large forum, can avoid partisan political postings from political parties trying to use MSE as a forum to get publicity/votes as has been suggested by a Lib Dem in this thread.

http://www.libdemvoice.org/clegg-impresses-moneysavingexpertcom-15892.html
    "There's no such thing as Macra. Macra do not exist."
    "I could play all day in my Green Cathedral".
    "The Centuries that divide me shall be undone."
    "A dream? Really, Doctor. You'll be consulting the entrails of a sheep next. "
  • JDPower
    JDPower Posts: 1,673 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would hope that during the election campaign MSE, as a large forum, can avoid partisan political postings from political parties trying to use MSE as a forum to get publicity/votes as has been suggested by a Lib Dem in this thread.

http://www.libdemvoice.org/clegg-impresses-moneysavingexpertcom-15892.html
    Well having read that, especially the comments posted below it, I stand by my first post even more so and would now be suspicious of any posters (especially new ones) making positive Lib Dem comments (or as they put it "a good campaign", "subtle electioneering" :rolleyes: ).
    Just goes to show how careful Martin needs to be in this area and perhaps refrain from posting something like this in full and unintentionally giving a party a voice/backing to such a large user base, at least until they have actually acted on their words.
    The Lib Dems always seem to say the right things and generally seem like the most trustworthy party out there. I really don't understand why people in Britain don't vote for them?
    Simple - they tied themselves so tightly to dumping the pound and as a result they were then considered unelectable by a large proportion of the population (despite the fact they keep quiet on that front now). I can only assume that is why they do well at a local level but not nationally.

(Oh and FWIW I have no particular allegiance to any of the parties and would think the same regardless of which opposition party was involved)
  • Nathan_Spleen
    Options
    JDPower wrote: »
    Well having read that, especially the comments posted below it, I stand by my first post even more so and would now be suspicious of any posters (especially new ones) making positive Lib Dem comments (or as they put it "a good campaign", "subtle electioneering" :rolleyes: ).
    Just goes to show how careful Martin needs to be in this area and perhaps refrain from posting something like this in full and unintentionally giving a party a voice/backing to such a large user base, at least until they have actually acted on their words.

If you're not keen on democracy and free speech, can I suggest North Korea?
  • mrsallright
    Options
    Hi,
    really glad to hear you've had a positive response from the Lib Dems, there is too much name calling and negative campaigning in politics, this is something really constructive that we can hopefully see progress.
    My brother has schizophrenia and regularly has problems with bank charges, he's moved his account to one with no overdraft because he couldn't cope with constantly being told he owed them money, when he was trying really hard to stay in credit.

I am a member of the Lib Dems and would like to encourage Martin to stand as an MP!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure