We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Florida car hire with an old paper licence

Options
Can I hire a car with just a UK paper licence as I have not changed my licence to a new photocard and paper one yet? Will they accept the old one

Comments

• MrSmartprice
    MrSmartprice Posts: 17,625 Forumite
    Options
    I'm not sure about the USA, but OH and I both have the old style licences and we have hired cars in several European countries without any problem.
  • Bennifred
    Bennifred Posts: 3,986 Forumite
    Options
    We've hired cars in Florida with the old-style paper licences several times with no problems at all.
    [
  • chopper2540
    Options
    Thanks guys
  • dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You'll need photo id - but you'll have your passport so it's not a problem.
  • Redhouse
    Redhouse Posts: 23 Forumite
    Options
    Can somebody please put my mind at ease and tell me this is still the case? Off to Florida on Sunday and I am doing all the driving - but I only have an "old" paper licence.
  • ferf1223
    ferf1223 Posts: 8,935 Forumite
    Options
    you'll be fine so long as you also have your passport with you as they will need to verify that you are the person who is named on the paper licence.
    Does remembering a time that a certain degree of personal responsibility was more or less standard means that I am officially old?
  • Redhouse
    Redhouse Posts: 23 Forumite
    Options
    Thankyou very much!
  • MobileSaver
    MobileSaver Posts: 4,244 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Redhouse wrote: »
    Can somebody please put my mind at ease and tell me this is still the case? Off to Florida on Sunday and I am doing all the driving - but I only have an "old" paper licence.

I holiday in the States every year and last hired a car there a few months ago - you'll have no problem with a paper licence.

I also got pulled over by the cops a year or two ago and as soon as he saw my paper licence he came out with the classic "I can see you're from out of State..." and told me to be on my way. :rotfl:
    Every generation blames the one before...
    Mike + The Mechanics - The Living Years
  • cubegame
    cubegame Posts: 2,042 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Get a photo licence...it's free.
  • bigturnip
    bigturnip Posts: 420 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The first one is, but then you have to pay for renewals every 10 years.
    I've given up trying to get my signature to work with the new rules, if nobody knows what the rules are what hope do we have?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport