air vents in double glazed windows?

Options

Comments

• John_3:16
    John_3:16 Posts: 849 Forumite
    Options
    There must be a way of sealing the vents. eg taking them out and filling the hole and covering to make it look good. We have DG when all windows are closed there is little sound. There only has to be a very slight opening of the top window to allow noise in. EG Birds at 4 in the morning. If you want to find out. Tape both outside and in well, seal as best you can . See if it makes a differance?
    The measure of love is love without measure
  • emma_b_4
    emma_b_4 Posts: 1,292 Forumite
    Options
    thats what we are thinking of doing to see.

downstairs thee doesnt seemt o be as much noise let in, even without the tv on
  • never_enough
    never_enough Posts: 1,495 Forumite
    Options
    Airvents are a good idea as you can leave them open yet the house is still secure. As far as I know they're always an 'added extra' on basic window price.
    It really shouldn't make much diff noisewise though.If you're unhappy, write to the supplier explaining your concerns. There may even be a fault with the window. Even with double glazing (with no vents) you can still hear traffic going past. Also, maybe as you're getting worked up by the noise you lay there listening for it? I'm a light sleeper myself & found I would do that. I was so stressed out by not sleeping it just made it even harder! I found listening to some music to go to sleep to helped me. My sister got a white noise machine that has transformed her life. It was about £150, but that's much cheaper than a new window. She bought that when she was pregnant actually...
    Hope you work something out.
  • raymond
    raymond Posts: 465 Forumite
    Options
    How are you sure the noise is coming through the window ?

It could be through the wall or even the ceiling.

You could seal the trickle vents using expanding foam but mask it off and make small holes in the masking tape then cut the foam off flush when hard.
  • Wickedkitten
    Wickedkitten Posts: 1,868 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    When you double glaze your house, it cuts down on ventilation which increases condensation, the airvents are actually good because you will still have ventilation by opening them without having to compromise security by opening the entire window.

You should also be able to close it all the way withou worrying about sealing the thing shut.
    It's not easy having a good time. Even smiling makes my face ache.
  • emma_b_4
    emma_b_4 Posts: 1,292 Forumite
    Options
    whats a white noise machine??
  • McAzrael
    McAzrael Posts: 917 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Part L of building regulations (which replacement windows have to comply with) requires trickle ventilation in all habitable rooms. See https://www.fensa.co.uk for more details. Trickle ventilation can be achieved by vents in the heads of the casements or frames or by the use of locking mechanisms which allow the window to be locked while still ajar (but not on a ground floor). Sometimes a combination of both is required to provide sufficient ventilation.
  • Rex_Mundi
    Rex_Mundi Posts: 6,315 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    This can also be achieved with an airbrick, negating the need for a trickle vent in the window.
    How many surrealists does it take to change a lightbulb?
    Fish
  • calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,832 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Rex_Mundi wrote:
    If you bought yourself a trickle vent, it is quite simple to fit them even once the window is installed. You only need a series of holes through the frame, and the trickle vent fitted over the holes both sides of the frame.

Thanks. But my husband would not be keen to do that. And neither I am. This is a man who makes himself bleed doing the most simple of jobs.

Also the windows have been in 11 years and I for one am not going to touch them. I have visions of them falling out or something. And replacements are not an option for a number of year yet.

I leave the windows on the first latch. But tend to shut them up when I go out.

Yours

Calley
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • Willxx
    Willxx Posts: 116 Forumite
    Options
    If you're having noise trouble even though you've had d/g perhaps you could look at some form of acoustic curtains to deaden the noise further? You could also fit blinds to put another layer between you and the noise.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure