air vents in double glazed windows?

Options
hiya
we had dglazing fitted last december and on the bedrrom windows they have airvents. is this standard practice?

we are finding the noise hasnt reduced much, if at all, and cant help wandering if the vents are the problem, as the unit isnt "sealed" as expected.

fitted by safestlye. window is a bottom opener, could this be why? im getting so frustrated as we spent nearly 5 grand so we could sleep without ear plugs.. only to have no difference....

any info much appreciated, i have range ss who are coming out soon, and we might look at replacing the windo with a top opener if it means the air vent goes ? altho not very money saving is it!

Comments

• Rex_Mundi
    Rex_Mundi Posts: 6,315 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    emma_b wrote:
    hiya
    we had dglazing fitted last december and on the bedrrom windows they have airvents. is this standard practice?

I presume you mean a trickle vent in the frame. We've always charged extra for these and they are not a standard item. We've fitted them only when requested, or where they were needed.

It wouldn't surprise me if a salesman added these onto the windows as standard to bump up the price of the windows.

Can you not close the vent?
    How many surrealists does it take to change a lightbulb?
    Fish
  • calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,824 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Personally I would prefer a windows will trickle vents. We don't have them so that means the windows are left on a first latch option so that there is air coming in all the time. Summer and winter.

Why not have the vents open during the day. To allow fresh air in and then shut them when you go to bed.

Yours

Calley
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • emma_b_4
    emma_b_4 Posts: 1,292 Forumite
    Options
    it makes no diff to sound though open or closed.

do they affect sound?

we have thwindows where you can lock them but have them open slighlty and i open them every morning
  • emma_b_4
    Options
    if we got top opener windows would we need the vent?

its thr traffic noise drives us bonkers, that was why we got the windows
  • Rex_Mundi
    Options
    calleyw wrote:
    Personally I would prefer a windows will trickle vents. We don't have them so that means the windows are left on a first latch option so that there is air coming in all the time. Summer and winter.

If you bought yourself a trickle vent, it is quite simple to fit them even once the window is installed. You only need a series of holes through the frame, and the trickle vent fitted over the holes both sides of the frame.
    Fish
  • emma_b_4
    Options
    so if its holes in the frame, does that affect the sound insulation do you think?

we are sleeping with earplugs in still and im pregnant so really need to get out of the habit! however without them i just cant get a goods nights sleep. we had single pane sash windows b4 and expected the sound insulation would be fab with the new windows, it is downstairs but in the bedrooms doesnt seem to be. its just so frustrating.

i am thinking of paying for a new window if it will come with no vent and make a difference.

it was my oh who dealt with salesman, who judt put it down on list and said was standard to prevent damp. i cant even reach the vent so open the window every morning and leave it open an inch all day, as i do with most of the windows

thanks
  • Rex_Mundi
    Options
    There are a couple of things that can make a difference to a DG window stopping sound.

Decent quality windows can make a big difference.

The type of DG unit you have in can also help. DG windows are primarily good for insulation/heat loss. Standard windows will still let some sound in. You can help this by one of two methods......

Triple glazed units. This is the best way of stopping sound. (expensive and normally not needed)

or.....

A double glazed unit using a different thickness of glass on either side (6mm one side and 4mm the other side). This is not as good as triple glazed, but helps cut down sound (something to do with the soundwaves being broken up more when they hit the different thicknesses).
    Fish
  • emma_b_4
    Options
    the windows we got are meant to be good windows, werent the cheapest or owt,

they have been fitted into recess left by original sash, could that affect sound?

were thinking of triple glazing but to be honest thought double glazing would be a good step up from single glazing, and it int! so thinking hmmmm what dofference will another layer make?!

i will ask safestyle when they come.

wander why we "had " to have them put on though?????
  • emma_b_4
    Options
    the other thing would be take a shot gun to every loud motorbike and truck that roar past at 4 am..... oh how i dream of that!

(note i would never encourage use of guns and i would never use one!)
  • Dora_the_Explorer_5
    Options
    Do you notice the noise as much during the day? Is it equally noisy upstairs and downstairs during the day? If so, perhaps you notice the noise more when you're in bed than you do during the day downstairs when there are other noises - telly etc. If not, sounds like something odd is going on. I wouldn't have thought the presence or absence of trickle vents, or closed or open, would make that much difference to noise levels, certainly mine don't. Hope this helps.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure