🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Howdens quote

Options
Just got a quote from Howdens and it come in at 4k supply only:eek:.....i noticed on the quote some figures had 80% discount and some only had 50%..can somebody tell me whats with these discounts and why were they all not discounted at 80% and if the 4K Quote still can be bartered with or is that figure quoted set in stone..thanks for any replies

Comments

• cattie
    cattie Posts: 8,841 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Some things don't carry as much discount as the actual units do. Yes you can try to get the price down, you may not be successful, but you won't know if you don't try. An 80% discount is very good, none of my stuff had such a good discount, so they may feel you've already got an excellent deal.
    The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
  • Meepster
    Meepster Posts: 5,955 Forumite
    Options
    Just imagine how expensive Howdens kitchens would be at full retail price? They would be more expensive than a Smallbones or Stoneham kitchen...

Their pricing really makes me laugh...
    If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands

• Bishop_Basher
    Options
    Ignore their 'discounts'

If you can open an account or find a tradesman with an account there you'll find even better 'discounts'
    In wood we trust.
  • frank.hopper
    frank.hopper Posts: 208 Forumite
    edited 8 August 2009 at 2:43AM
    Options

Kitchen company I use give a 95% discount!

A 1000 base unit only costs £100 quid,

The price before discount is £2000

Sadly, many people in this country are a little THICK.
  • Meepster
    Options
    Yup, you could say that...
    If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands

• misskool
    misskool Posts: 12,832 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    We had planned on getting a Howdens but due to their opaque pricing policies, we're going somewhere else instead now. It's really difficult to choose something and different people have vastly different discount rates etc etc.

Seems too shady and not something I would be comfortable with. :)
  • leveller2911
    leveller2911 Posts: 8,061 Forumite
    Options
    mwilletts wrote: »
    Just imagine how expensive Howdens kitchens would be at full retail price? They would be more expensive than a Smallbones or Stoneham kitchen...

Nearly as much as a Smallbone Kitchen?, you,d just have to add another zero to the price.:D.

Howdens pricing does make you laugh though, just like the jewellry channels on telly, crappy 14ct gold ring witha red stone, starts off "recommended price of £14,000-00 and 3 minutes later its yours for £76-00.........."Are we doing a deal or what".

Ive had a Howdens account for 11yrs and its about time they sorted it out.....
  • Meepster
    Options
    Nearly as much as a Smallbone Kitchen?, you,d just have to add another zero to the price.:D.

Hmm, maybe not adding another zero, look at this for example. I'm looking at a Howdens quote right now, for units, appliances, sink, tap and worktops. Total price including discounts £8,214.64. If I take the appliances, sink and tap off (at the price I would sell them for) I then get £6,877.74. Discounts are showing as 80% (well, 75% for the worktops, but I'm rounding it up :D ) that's the equivalent of a supply only units and worktop price of £34,388.70, putting the appliances back on at the same price I took them off, gives a grand total of £35,725.60.

Now would you EVER consider paying that much for a Howdens kitchen?

And BTW I've just priced up for a RWK e.motion kitchen, using the same units (which are obviously a LOT better) and that gives a RETAIL price of just over £24k, so actual selling price is around £18k...

Does that mean Howdens give a better deal than I can?? ;)

• leveller2911
    leveller2911 Posts: 8,061 Forumite
    edited 8 August 2009 at 3:59PM
    Options
    Understand what your saying MW, but for the same number of units Smallbone really would be adding another zero.Recently we made 3 units to go into an existing "smallbone" Kitchen , had profile cutters made for all of the door mouldings and cornices etc, obviously with very small differences as we wouldn't want any legal problems and to be honest youd be hard pressed to see the differences.But our 3 units came to less than the price of one of theirs and having profile cutters made is very expensive.Smallbone have a reputation amongst the snob class as being top rate, theyre as handmade as any other joinery, build quality is no better than most its all down to marketing.Give me a purpose made 1 off kitchen any day over a Smallbone.
    Howdens need to sort themselves out, the quality is dropping especially the worktops, theyre terrible now, but to their credit Ive always had good service from them..Most people are not foled by the Retail prices.The only way ive found Howdens better than the "sheds" is units supplied assembled and theyve always delivered on time and everything there, sadly ot the same with the sheds.

I worked on a job years ago, Smallbone guy was there painting a door with a feather, took him all day to do one door, totally over the top, the finish he got was as good as a good painter but no better and they would coat the whole kitchen in a day.lol
  • Ladybird20
    Ladybird20 Posts: 465 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies .. the quote was on a tradesmans paperwork from them and he showed me the discounts.I did wander if the reps from Howdens got "backhanders" from the tradesmen for drumming up business for them.If my kitchen has been quoted at 4k,,what reasonable amount do you think i should ask .....the kitchen is the high gloss cream with round edged cupboards for corners..
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport