Neighbours Burglar Alarm

Options
Hi,

Our neighbours alarm set off last night following a power cut, unfortunately they seem to be away, for how long we just don't know :confused:, so the blasted thing is likely to ring continually until it eventaully burns itself out or they eventually return.

The question is, is there anything we can do (legally) to have the thing turned off? I've called the police but they don't want to know as it's not a registered address. They gave me the number for the Enviromental Health dept who will only help if it's a "Constant problem" over a longer period of time where the owners won't co-operate which this isnt as such, so they can't help either :confused:.

I'm tempted to go up see if I can remove a wire or something but that would be a last resort so, has anyone else had this problem and if so what, if any, is the solution?

Thanks for any advice

John G
PS We do have a Neighbourhood Watch scheme but sadly most seem disintereseted or can't be bothered to provide necessary ctc details etc. Maybe this situation will wake them up from their slumber as it affects us all (Sleep depravation being one)? :rolleyes:

Comments

• ktuludays
    ktuludays Posts: 368 Forumite
    Options
    do you get on with your neighbours?

if so can you not cut the wire to the alarm and then repair it when they get back?
    You got to get through what you've got to go through to get what you want but you got to know what you want to get through what you got to go through.
  • JohnG
    JohnG Posts: 477 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    ktuludays wrote: »
    do you get on with your neighbours?

if so can you not cut the wire to the alarm and then repair it when they get back?

Wow that was quick! Thanks

We get on OK though it's generally a typical modern day relationship of just saying hello in passing, but I would be fairly confident that disarming it would be OK in the circumstances. Is that easy to do though, is the next question?

The box is reasonably accessible with ladders but I've never looked inside one before so no idea how easy it would be to remove wire etc? I would assume it can't be that easy otherwise the alarm would not be that effective against a potential burglar?:confused:
  • bungle4x4
    bungle4x4 Posts: 254 Forumite
    Options
    its only supposed to go off for 20 minutes... and its normal for an alarm to ring after a power interuption. it thinks its under attack.
  • mrbrightside842
    Options
    Is there a name on the alarm, can it be seen? You could try ringing the people who installed it, if you can figure out who it was.
  • TomsMom
    TomsMom Posts: 4,251 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I don't know anything about burglar alarms, where we live there is (dare I say??) no real need.

I'm wondering if, by cutting the wire or disabling the alarm in any way, there would be an issue with any insurance claim IF there was a subsequent burglary whilst the neighbours are still away.

Is there any information on the alarm box, e.g. manufacturer's name, so that you could ring them up, explain what's happened and find out if there's any way you could re-set the alarm.

I'm assuming you don't know any relatives/friends of your neighbours who might have a key or know what to do in these circumstances.

Also, we all learn something from every experience. When your neighbours return it would be a good idea to come to some arrangement so that YOU know what to do in case it happens again when they area way.

Hope you get it sorted today, car alarms are bad enough, I can't imagine what it's like to hear a burglar alarm all day and night!
  • dander
    dander Posts: 1,781 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I don't think removing a wire would do you any good because most alarms are set to go off when tampered with rather than stop when tampered with.
  • JohnG
    Options
    Sadly the name on the box S.B. Securities seems to be obsolete, I can't find them listed anywhere inc on the internet. I know the alarm/box has been up there for many years so it doesnt surprise that they no longer exist.
    We think they had it looked at after the current owners moved in a few years back but sadly there is no new sticker or anything to show who they might have used?
    Also, presumably because it's an old system, it doesnt have a cut out system hence it's still ringing away without a break whatsoever :eek:

I've got to go out now so it will have to keep ringing, I'll consider further intervention upon my return later today. Meanwhile, any suggestions would be greatly (incidently I've thought of the heavy Brick option :rolleyes:)

Meanwhile, thank you to all............

John G
  • ariba10
    ariba10 Posts: 5,432 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The only thing that I can think of is the nozzle of a can of expanding foam in through any gap that may be on the box.
    I used to be indecisive but now I am not sure.
  • JohnG
    Options
    Don't know how to ctc any of their friends or relations (Their surname is too common (no insult intended) to go thru the phone book which I've considered) and other neighbours can't help. I'm going to try one more neighbour before I leave this morning but I'm sure she (Daughter of couple who are also away) would have helped by now if she had any info.

Re disarming the box - my wife's boss has suggested putting something between the bell to deaden or block it - this seems a good idea as it might avoid subsequent claims or issues if I actually cut a wire etc. Just saw the foam suggestion by ariba10 but hopefully I can remove the cover to physically place something in there which might be preferably.

Bi for now
  • davetrousers
    davetrousers Posts: 5,862 Forumite
    Options
    JohnG wrote: »

Bi for now

Ok thanks for the info. Not sure how this helps the op though. :confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories