Cycle to work scheme

Options
12345679»

Comments

• emmell
    emmell Posts: 1,228 Forumite
    Options
    [QUOTE=alexlyne;3606228

Anyone reckon that if you're buying a bike without one of these schemes then there's room for price negotiation on the bike and/or freebies?

Yes! Can't give too much detail, but my husband got £200 off a £900 bike. Just went in the shop and paid with a company credit/debit card (don't know which one), and the receipt was printed out in the company name. He now pays it back over 12 months excluding the VAT.
    So a £900 bike, less VAT, less 40%, less a bit more for NI and 12 months interest free credit.
    ML.
    He who has four and spends five, needs neither purse nor pocket
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    alexlyne wrote: »
    I have heard that many bike shops affiliated with a c2w scheme are generally charged up to 12% of the cost of a bike by the scheme administrators (where they make their money). And this is probably why folding bikes (at least) prices have been going up up up the last couple of years?

Anyone reckon that if you're buying a bike without one of these schemes then there's room for price negotiation on the bike and/or freebies?

wait till November ish (if memory serves me right) and the new seasons bikes come out
    then get a massive discount on the 'old' bikes
  • alexlyne
    alexlyne Posts: 740 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Got it yesterday - 10% off list price. The guy reckons that Mezzo aren't updating their bikes next year - whether that is true or not I don't know. Just gotta go off and get the accessories and I'll be set for the commute!

and I didn't go to primera sports!
    emmell wrote: »
    [QUOTE=alexlyne;3606228

Yes! Can't give too much detail, but my husband got £200 off a £900 bike. Just went in the shop and paid with a company credit/debit card (don't know which one), and the receipt was printed out in the company name. He now pays it back over 12 months excluding the VAT.
    So a £900 bike, less VAT, less 40%, less a bit more for NI and 12 months interest free credit.
    ML.
  • m4rkie
    Options
    Just spotted this: look up EIM21667a on google (can't post the link!)

If your company chooses to go by this, a more expensive bicycle only gets you a 5% saving.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure