Student Loans & Intrest Payments

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Student Money Saving
18 replies 1.6K views
2»

Replies

• surfcatsurfcat Forumite
    734 Posts
    jr666 wrote:
    As a matter of fact i do do maths at uni. Perhaps you could give me some lessons, i'm having trouble with the finer points of the Riemann/Lebesgue Integrability critereon's. As a matter of fact i dont think ive seen a 'number' for about two weeks.

If I came across as rude, I apologise. I was merely expressing my surprise that someone with (and I presumed correctly) a mathematical background would assert that the loan interest rate would only ever go up.

Can't help you with Riemann surfaces but send me a question about infinte potential square wells or the michelson inteferometer and I'll do my best.
  • Eels100Eels100 Forumite
    984 Posts
    Well all I can say is that maybe if less people raped the student loans company for a measly £100 then those of us who actually needed loans to live on would be allowed a few extra bob a year. If you can afford to stick the whole thing into an ISA then I would imagine you can probably live without £100 at the end of it all. Some students are less fortunate.
  • impy78impy78 Forumite
    3.2K Posts
    Dammit, not to have a go at anyone, but it makes me mad when I see on here people who are saving their student loans and not spending it, so they obviously don't need it that much, yet when I apply for one I don't qualify, even though I REALLY need it!!

:mad:

I hate government funding, you never get it when you need it.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • As an acedemic exercise I applaud you.
    However in reality few students can afford to invest their student loan, and as this site typically attracts those who need to save money and have very little disposable income perhaps this is not the appropriate forum for your hypothetical musings?
  • surfcatsurfcat Forumite
    734 Posts
    For the record I did spend my loan on fees, accom and living at Uni. It was the roughly equivalent amount I earned in all the university holidays that I put into my ISA.

Remember that putting money into savings account is the true essence of money saving, not 'saving' money by spending less on something that you don't need anyway.
  • arumiatarumiat Forumite
    64 Posts
    You guys need to give jr666 a break and wipe whatever chip a lot of you all seem to have off of your shoulders. He was trying to be and has resulted in being helpful, the fact is that some people ARE stoozing their loan and this is exactly the place to post such 'hypothetical musings'. Have a look over at the credit card stoozing board for some more. Anyone without an understanding of the RPI probably would not understand how interest repayments are going to change which this thread has delightfully clarified (although youd be forgiven for missing it over a whole lot of self congratulations from some and foot stamping from others).

To clarify it seems like, yes youre on to a winner if you're one of those people fortunate enough to be able to stooze your loan provided you
    a) stick it into savings account with a higher rate of interest than the RPI
    b) allow the interest to accrue and compound
  • clgreen_2clgreen_2 Forumite
    3 Posts
    Eels100 wrote:
    ... maybe if less people raped the student loans company for a measly £100 then those of us who actually needed loans to live on would be allowed a few extra bob a year.

Eels100 - you should be thoroughly ashamed of yourself for your choice of language. It is disgusting that you trivialise rape and you show a complete lack of respect for victims of sexual assault.
  • jr666jr666 Forumite
    247 Posts
    Rape (noun) -
    "Abusive or improper treatment; violation: a rape of justice or raping a loan company."
    Come to my garden in South Bucks and i'll find you a wasp...
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Lloyds Bank wrongly declares customer dead

Account was closed due to a misreading

MSE News

Cheap home insurance

Grab 100+ buildings insurance quotes & cashback

MSE Guides

£12 for 1L Baileys

Available at Tesco, Morrisons & Asda

MSE Deals