Spill the beans... on cutting Post Office queues (revisited)

Options

Comments

• Almafolk
    Options
    One easy way to avoid the main queue is to figure out the postage yourself and purchase it at the PostShop or elsewhere if possible. Overseas postage in particular can be very simple: 56p for cards and letters < or = 20g inside Europe (Turkey and Russia included); rest of the world: 62p for letters/cards < or =10g, 81p for between 11-20g. Visit postoffice.co.uk or royalmail.com to get more details on postage.
    Ask if your local PO opens on Sat afternoons. After 3pm it's normally pretty dead if it remains open. However if you need to send something by Special Delivery, make sure you arrive before 11:45am on Sat.
  • borninthejungle
    Options
    avoid end of month.mon a.m nightmare!afternoons quieter.wednesday after 1pm is balance so usually closed if subpostoffice.Sat am a good time.starts to get v busy from november.online postage takes business away from post office.If you have a good local post office they will take parcels off you and you can collect your receipts on way back(do leave money!).subpostoffiices glad of business.
  • Matt_Stephenson
    Options
    My local post office has just had a refurbishment. Looks really smart, and they've installed a new 'supermarket meat counter' type queueing system, whereby you take a ticket and wait for your number to be called. Much better than queueing, and you can just sit and read your paper, drink your coffee etc while you wait. Don't know if this is a national roll out though.
  • wend33
    wend33 Posts: 73 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I live 2 doors down from our village post office so the dog and I often wander in (and she usually wanders behind the counter for a nose around!). Its rarely that busy and even when it is I can catch up on the latest gossip. I have in the past left a parcel with them at 7am to post and settled up when I got home from work - great service. Out postman is also great and will either leave parcels at the post office for me or pop them in the wood shed with a note through the door to let me know where to find them. He will even sign for any recorded delivery items as he knows I'm at work.
    ;)wend
  • leonotis
    leonotis Posts: 34 Forumite
    Options
    pre123 wrote: »
    The sales side is something being introduces across the crown post offices and then eventually across the whole network.. and its called STEP
    SELL TO EVERY PERSON.. basically i refer to it as harrassing but just say you already have it n they will shut up..:j
    Well you just keep on saying "you already have it" and before long you will have "had it"!
    Just like any other business in the 21st century the Post Office has to make a profit to survive- it's been a "walk over " for far too long and now this push to be profitable is what all this selling is about.

It is more fool you really not to listen, because many of our products are now "best buys" and we have saved lots of people lots of money -Post Office products are often now recommended by Martin!!You could well be missing out for all you know-if we don't take the opportunity to speak to customers face to face many would never be aware of the vast array of good products we now can offer.

Post Office staff don't think continual selling is a bundle of fun either, I can tell you, but it's something that has to be done if we are to survive.

Contrary to another post, the Post Office does not make anything at all if you tax your car online- it all goes to DVLA who make even more profit than they already do as they don't pay anything to Post Office out of your payment.

Queuing is annoying I agree,but we counter staff do our very best, Banks often have long queues with only 1 or 2 serving but no one complains there!!!
    Times are a changing and Post Office is trying to catch up.
    When we've finally "had it " please don't complain!!
    Crown Office counter clerk.
  • frivolous_fay
    frivolous_fay Posts: 13,302 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 7 August 2009 at 12:12PM
    Options
    leonotis wrote: »
    It is more fool you really not to listen, because many of our products are now "best buys" and we have saved lots of people lots of money -Post Office products are often now recommended by Martin!!You could well be missing out for all you know-if we don't take the opportunity to speak to customers face to face many would never be aware of the vast array of good products we now can offer.

I don't want to get into a fight about it, and I know you guys have a job to do, and FWIW, I recently got a Post Office credit card :)

But my travel insurance is provided by my bank account.
    And as you guys don't offer Boots points, I won't be buying phone top-up from you, sorry :)

Perhaps the PO can offer me some best buys... but it hasn't happened yet! (The CC is just for overseas purchases)
    My TV is broken! :cry:
    Edit: refunded £515 for TV 1.5 years out of warranty - thank you Sale of Goods Act! :j
  • leonotis
    leonotis Posts: 34 Forumite
    Options
    I don't want to get into a fight about it, and I know you guys have a job to do, and FWIW, I recently got a Post Office credit card :)

But my travel insurance is provided by my bank account.
    And as you guys don't offer Boots points, I won't be buying phone top-up from you, sorry :)

Perhaps the PO can offer me some best buys... but it hasn't happened yet!

Well done on the credit card - now that was worth queuing for!
    Travel Insurance through your bank,just make sure you review what exactly you are covered for as there have been some horror stories where people thought they were covered comprehensively through their bank account UNTIL THEY CLAIMED!!
    We CAN actually say we ARE the best company for Travel Insurance- check us out!!
    I too top my phone up at Boots for the same reason-points!

I'm not saying PO is perfect by any means! (don't forget I work there!!)-but unless someone can come up with an alternative- please don't dismiss us- keep listening for that next best buy! Thanks
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,312 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I would feel happier at my crown PO when they stop telling little old ladies that they need to pay an extra 75p for recorded if they want their grnadchilds birthday card to actually arrive.

I have also been assured with a completely straight face that my books are not covered against loss at all as they are paper and I therefore need to send them all special delivery. I complained about that one and apparently they are going to re educate their staff.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Strapped
    Strapped Posts: 8,158 Forumite
    Options
    bylromarha wrote: »
    Become friends with the staff at your local sub and treat them like human beings!

I have found the staff at mine invaluable and they treat their regulars well.

i've seen different ebayers drop 2 ikea bags off ready to pay the next day-even handing over the counter whilst someone else is being served.

:T Agree 100%. Just yesterday I could be found dropping off my parcels (only 10 yesterday) on the way to take my children out, popped back in on the way home to pay and pick up the proof of postages. I love our local postmistress. Apparently I'm the only person who sends parcels in the village except at Christmas, so I'm pretty sure the feeling's mutual lol. They would've closed her down by now if the village had a bus service (apparently they can't close it without one, because the pensioners wouldn't be able to pick up their pensions). I hope we don't get a bus service!
    They deem him their worst enemy who tells them the truth. -- Plato
  • siany_d
    siany_d Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    i am a post office manager, and am one of many who is not a royal mail employee! Its bad enough that people print their postage at home already without being encouraged to find other ways to not use your post office. Business is already on a downward spiral, we need more people through the doors not less or we will start to see more closures. Post Offices are not a service, they are a business whether we like it or not. We get paid nothing for parcels that have online postage affixed, yet are expected to check that they have sufficient postage on them and face anger/abuse if we tell the "customer" that it is incorrectly priced.
    Use your local post office or lose it, when its gone where will you take your prepaid parcel then???:mad:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure