What phone? Sony Ericsson W995 or Samsung Tocco Ultra

BlueNose
BlueNose Posts: 75 Forumite
I know ... another one who cannot make up their mind!!

Does anyone have any thoughts / experience of the above phones..

Thinking of going to O2 - t-mobile not offering anything to keep me.. and I think at last its a toss up between the Sony Ericsson and the Samsung.

Would really be grateful for any comments as I was hoping to order one sooon..

Many thanks

Comments

• jweb2k
    jweb2k Posts: 356 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    No experience of the phone but O2 have been faultless in customer service for me all year.
  • BlueNose
    Many thanks. Good to know that. Much appreciated.

I must admit I have had no bother with t-mobile and I have been with them for many years "until" I phoned to ask about an upgrade and then was given false info about the PAC.
  • Nex0
    Nex0 Posts: 913 Forumite
    Ive just left o2 after about 7 years cause funny enough there retentions also ain't doing any deals and funny enough I joined t-mobile!.

If I was you id check out the o2 retentions thread before you think of joining them.
  • jweb2k
    jweb2k Posts: 356 Forumite
    To be honest, they provide such a good service all year round, that I feel ringing them up and hassling them for a deal is a bit cheeky(!)
  • BlueNose
    thanks for that.. .. I am not too bothered about the retention from mobile phone companies ... I had always been happy with t-mobile (saying that I have never really spoken to customer services until last week.) but after speaking to 3 people there.. I was only impressed with 1 lady.

The first person I spoke to gave me the wrong information about PAC - he said phone and ask for it when my contact rang out. After a bit of research - probably MSE - I realised I needed my PAC before then. The 2nd person I spoke to seemed really nice and although it was obvious she did not want to give me the PAC (she threw all sorts of "deals" at me.) she gave me the PAC. After looking at the t-mobile site I realised the best deal she offered was the same on the site. Next day I phoned and asked about another phone and package and this time was offered a worse deal. Yes I did mention I had already spoken to someone the day before then she said oh.. yes I can do that as well!!

I really just wanted some advice about the 2 phones .. but do appreciate the comments.

PS I am now with O2
  • ka7e
    ka7e Posts: 3,083 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    I've had the W995 for a few weeks now and am generally very happy with it. It was an upgrade from a 760i and is very similar in terms of interface, applications, games and media etc. The SE interface is very intuitive, better than Nokia, in my opinion. It's responsive and applications open quickly. The slider mechanism is smooth and feels quite robust, it's nice to set the keypad to lock as it closes to avoid mis-calls etc.

I like the wi-fi as I can check my emails without turning on my laptop at home, I don't have a data package so don't use it elsewhere.

The themes, screensavers and templates are generally very samey. A lot feature animated triangles - boring! One gripe is that all the animated smilies (ugly gonks) have to sent as MMS rather then SMS so use up the equivalent of 4 texts.

I am still coming to grips with the camera! My pictures don't always look like they've been taken on an 8mp camera. It feels like there is some shutter lag and you get a flash of a blurry pic, but then the actual shot resolves and is OK. If you use the camera horizontally, you need quite a firm press on the button that can result in camera shake. Macro shoots are quite good. Video OK, but zooming in is jerky resulting in out of focus footage.

GSM Arena have a good review here http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_ericsson_w995-review-329.ph

And the Tocco Ultra here http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_s8300_ultratouch-review-346.php
    "Cheap", "Fast", "Right" -- pick two.
  • rachel6188
    rachel6188 Posts: 413 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    iv got the w995 and partner has the tocco ultra...really like the w995 and the tocco - both fantastic phones...what deal where t-mobile offering you for each phone? im with t-mob and dp is with voda.
    if there is any questions id be happy to help xx
  • fatboy88
    fatboy88 Posts: 478 Forumite
    I've had a Ultra for a week now and really like it. WIth most phones it just getting used to them but if you get the Ultra you will best get the firmware updated to iron out some of the bugs and
  • nicsonian
    nicsonian Posts: 32 Forumite
    I have just read reviews for both these phones and am going to go for the Tocco ultra myself. The Samsung just seems more solid. Read the reviews for yourself tho:

Samsung Tocco = http://www.mobile-phonecontract.com/samsung-tocco-ultra/
    Sony W995 = http://www.mobile-phonecontract.com/sony-ericsson-w995/

Hope that helps... :)
  • BlueNose
    Hi thanks for your comments... and I had decided today to go for the tocco. Got one demonstrated to me today and it seems just what I am looking for....

Now will I get blue or red??? Mmm

But many thanks everyone.. always interesting to read about other users experiences!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure