PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Notice of Termination

Hi,

this is my 1st Post here but have been lurking, for which I thank you for all the tips over the last couple of yrs.

right down to business.

I have been renting a house since Jan 09 and signed up for a further 6 months rent in June 09 up until Dec 09, which the management company charged me to sign (admin costs on there part)

Just received a letter for the management company Terminating the contract 0n the 3 October 2 months early.

Talk of bad timing as my wife is due to give birth in Dec and my daughter is about to start secondary school in September.

I need help and peace of mind over a couple of things.

1. can I stick to the original contract and stay until the end of Dec and if i do go before the date they want to can i charge them for any for anything.

2. Need help with finding a deposit for my new place. is there anywhere i can 'borrow' (dont have much in the way of worth to sell) but I am in debt Management so i know this . is there some sort of government crisis loan I could go for. I am in full time employment supporting my wife and 2 children and another on the way. My wife is not working at the moment either.

And breath, my stress levels have been up on the roof today

turns out the owner wants to sell the property.

Comments

• McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,819 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Have you contacted the council to see if there is any social housing available.
    Contact Shelter, they should be able to give you some advice.

They cant physically force you out on 3rd October even if you are staying there illegally, they would have to get a court order to get you out anyway. So dont worry too much. There is always help available out there for families with children

Good luck and let us know how you get on
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    and signed up for a further 6 months rent in June 09 up until Dec 09,
    Just received a letter for the management company Terminating the contract 0n the 3 October 2 months early.
    This does not make sense. If you have a contract till Dec 90, you cannot be asked to leave before Dec 09!

Is there anything else you haven't mentioned? Have you been taken to court for possession eg for rent arrears?
  • Bombs
    Bombs Posts: 12 Forumite
    Thanks for the quick reply McKneff

been reading a couple of threads here some additional questions and answers

been issued with Housing act 21 1988 sec21 (1) (b)

If we stay do I have to continue paying rent after this date?

honesty i don't know if i should or shouldn't

local council just want to pass me onto housing charity's, which i have called and are awaiting the application packs and they told me not to hold my breath as the local housng is at critical levels. not sounding they good is it.
  • McKneff
    are you sure they are not giving you 2 months notice starting Oct 09 therefore ending on the correct date.
  • Bombs
    G_M wrote: »
    This does not make sense. If you have a contract till Dec 90, you cannot be asked to leave before Dec 09!

Is there anything else you haven't mentioned? Have you been taken to court for possession eg for rent arrears?

no rent arrears payed monthly throu the bank its one thing i make sure that is paid
  • Bombs
    McKneff wrote: »
    are you sure they are not giving you 2 months notice starting Oct 09 therefore ending on the correct date.

on the sec 21

Date of expiry after 03 October 2009

dated 30 July 09
  • Bombs
    and no courts involved either. I will be back soon i will type up the letter that came with the paper work.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Bombs wrote: »
    no rent arrears payed monthly throu the bank its one thing i make sure that is paid

Then I repeat: if you have a contract till Dec 09 you cannot be asked to leave before Dec 09!

Yes you should continue paying rent as long as you stay there - to stop doing so weakens your position immediately.

Write back, enclosing a copy of your contract (with the Dec 09 date) (KEEP the original!) stating the section 21 Notice is invalid.
    Write, don't call. Write, don't email. Keep a copy of your letter.

Open a bottle of wine and relax!
  • Geenie
    Geenie Posts: 1,213 Forumite
    McKneff wrote: »

This is what I was wondering! LL's have to give 2 months notice to quit, but this doesn't make sense.

OP, can you elaborate on what you signed and paid for in admin charges on the 6th June, as this will make a difference to what advice you will be given. Was it a new AST, because if so, you have the right to stay in that property until the end, and then receive notice to quit.

"Life is difficult. Life is a series of problems. What makes life difficult is that the process of confronting and solving problems is a painful one." M Scott Peck. The Road Less Travelled.
  • McKneff
    and always use recorded delivery for any correspondence. If it is delivered personally get someone to sign to say it has been received.

And as GM says keep paying your rent.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport