John Lewis 5 year guarantee on TVs is a load of rubbish - advice needed please!

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Praise, Vent & Warnings
23 replies 54.1K views
Legacy_userLegacy_user Forumite
0 Posts
MoneySaving Newbie
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Praise, Vent & Warnings
We are nearing the end of our 5 year guarantee and for the last 6 months our £6000 (yes, £6000!) Sony TV has been randomly turning itself off - NOT fun when you are watching your fave TV show! :mad:

The TV has been taken away for 'repair' and returned with exactly the same problem - 5 times!! We had a feeling that the problem is irreparable and John Lewis are avoiding a replacement until the guarantee expires. So, we got a second opinion from an official Sony engineer last month who said that the section that needs replacing costs more than buying a new TV, as parts will be harder to source, and LCD TVs are a lot cheaper nowadays than they were 5 years ago.

Presented with this evidence, John Lewis have literally been ignoring our calls for the past month, or they tell us they will book an engineers visit and call us back ... and then they never do. Now our guarantee is due to expire in less than 1 week and we have no idea what to do.:confused:

I can't find the terms and conditions to their guarantee anywhere on their website either.

Replies

• edited 30 July 2009 at 10:24PM
    KavanneKavanne Forumite
    5.1K Posts
    edited 30 July 2009 at 10:24PM
    When my microwave was fixed at 11 months through a 12 month john lewis warranty they said the repair was covered for 90 days from the date i picked it up... you need to go down to the store and demand a replacement. take all paperwork and demand to speak to a manager.
    Kavanne
    Nuns! Nuns! Reverse!

'I do my job, do you do yours?'

• DustykittenDustykitten Forumite
    16.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Out of interest which branch is it? I'd escalate the problem to the branch manager asap if I was you.
    The birds of sadness may fly overhead but don't let them nest in your hair
  • SystemSystem Forumite
    177.9K Posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Out of interest which branch is it? I'd escalate the problem to the branch manager asap if I was you.

London, Oxford Street. I am thinking of going tomorrow after work, but last time we went the manager was 'unavailable' and we got the same 'We will definitely call you to arrange an engineers visit' - guess what? They never called!
    Kavanne wrote: »
    When my microwave was fixed at 11 months through a 12 month john lewis warranty they said the repair was covered for 90 days from the date i picked it up... you need to go down to the store and demand a replacement. take all paperwork and demand to speak to a manager.

I think that repairs should be covered (seems fair), but cannot find T&Cs anywhere.
  • DustykittenDustykitten Forumite
    16.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is the contact page for that branch:

http://www.johnlewis.com/Shops/DSContact.aspx?Id=23

Phone 020 7629 7711 and ask to speak to Monica Starr and if you get no joy then Noel Saunders
    The birds of sadness may fly overhead but don't let them nest in your hair
  • TorbyTorby Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    you also need to watch out, sometimes in the case of extended warrenties or repairs, the warrenty of the repair is only for the remainder of the time...i.e. repaired in 5yrs month 11 means in effect you only have 1 month left....they are even able to "wangle" it that even when a replacement is issued the same applies, or they give you a "standard" warrenty and the extended one is cancelled
    I'm now a retired teacher... hooray ...:j

Those who can do, those who can't, come to me for lessons:cool:

• sambasamba Forumite
    418 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    If you are able to - take the TV into the store along with the paper work and complain loudly about the lack of customer service and the worthlessness of the 5 year warrantly - 100% you will get it sorted there and then! ;)
  • vylevyle Forumite
    2.4K Posts
    Oh my, I was worried OP was the person whose TV I replaced today XD.

I had a customer with a sony 42" tv that had packed up 4 1/2 years into the guaruntee. Because we do specification replacements if the TV is irreparable, the like for like replacement TV would be around £850.

The customer wasn't too pleased about that....but what can you do? They calmed down and decided they wanted a higher spec TV anyway and were perfectly happy until I explained I couldn't swap the free home cinema system on offer for a dvd recorder with hard drive.

Then they wanted a TV wall mounted for free, and when I couldn't give it to them, they demanded to see a manager, who ended up staying with them for over an hour. I dont know the outcome, though, because they were still there when I went home :confused:.

To OP, I'm surprised Oxford Street is being so bad...I assume you've spoken to their service department. There should be a LOT of section managers. My department is pretty small and has three section managers in on any one day.

If you do get a replacement TV, then you should at the very least have a 2 year warranty. The customer I dealt with today got 5 years on their replacement TV, but if we gave them any more towards the TV it would have been 2 years.
  • SystemSystem Forumite
    177.9K Posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    [
    samba wrote: »
    If you are able to - take the TV into the store along with the paper work and complain loudly about the lack of customer service and the worthlessness of the 5 year warrantly - 100% you will get it sorted there and then! ;)

Wish I could take the TV with me, unfortunately it is massive!
    vyle wrote: »
    Oh my, I was worried OP was the person whose TV I replaced today XD.

Nope :) At least that customer got a replacement though.

update - store managers at Oxford street got a personal visit on Friday :cool:. After kicking up a fuss, they agreed to get an engineer booked by Monday, the day the guarantee expires, this will be the 6th time they attempt to fix it :mad:. Was told not to worry about guarantee as we reported the problem before it expired. Whether they keep their word is another matter...
  • moonrakerzmoonrakerz Forumite
    8.7K Posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Torby wrote: »
    you also need to watch out, sometimes in the case of extended warrenties or repairs, the warrenty of the repair is only for the remainder of the time...i.e. repaired in 5yrs month 11 means in effect you only have 1 month left....

That is what the Law says, I'm afraid. It applies to any warranty regardless on length.
  • patman99patman99 Forumite
    8.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Somebody needs to do a full reference peice about electrical goods. Apparrently certain items have a legal 'acceptable life' during which the retailor has a legal obligation to repair it for free.

I know that for computers this is 3 years (this was mentioned in June's edition of 'PCPro' in there 'watchdog' section), and that for kitchen white goods I believe its' 2 years. I remember reading in 'Witch' that TV's and VCR's should last for 6 years. If this is correct, then it renders all those extended warrantys obsolite.
    Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of £1,000 challenge - £13.74/ £1000 (that's 1.374%)

3-6 month EF £0/£3600 (that's 0 days worth)

This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals