Claiming jsa and paying rent to parents..?

Options
124»

Comments

• NASA_2
    NASA_2 Posts: 5,571 Forumite
    Options
    Perhaps I can assist you by pointing out that I CLARIFIED why I quoted the DWP on an issue to do with Housing Benefit.
    If they don't KNOW, then they should CHECK that the info they give is CORRECT.
    Not rocket science in anyone's book.
    I'm fairly sure they thought it was correct.

Its the claimants job to arm themselves with the FACTS not ADVICE. The legislation and guidance is out there. Should check it sometime.
  • Emma1973
    Emma1973 Posts: 120 Forumite
    Options
    Its a difficult argument this one! The DWP has tried to get too few people to know far too much! I think its unreasonable to have JC staff know everything about HB, they probably only receive the scantiest training on it and quite a few are probably way out of their depth! The benefits system is waaaaayyy too big for a few people to know everything. I do benefits advice, and its an absolute minefield, especially with things changing all the time.

It should all be kept entirely seperate like it used to be, i.e only HB/CTC Offices should deal with HB/CTC applications, its not unreasonable to expect that if you have to apply with it along with your JSA application that the person at the JC taking the application actually knows what they are talking about!

Councils arent helping with their tinkering either, because so many of the housing officers are closing down you can take the forms elsewhere to be checked, copied and signed. In Manchester you can do it in several libraries. Now what do library staff know about benefits? I was a little flabbergasted when the chap asked if he could do the form I was taking in for my client as he wanted to practice (tho I guess he has to practice on someone!) It only took him an hour as I had to talk him through the entire form including pointing out what all the evidence was for, so he could tick it off on his little sheet! I'd been interested in knowing how many people had claims delayed or wrongly assessed because the staff werent taking the right info!

Stop tinkering, and get everyone to do the job they are paid to do I say!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure