Claiming jsa and paying rent to parents..?

Options

Comments

• Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry, yes I realise that but it was an employee at DWP who told the person not to bother applying for HB as they would not be eligible.
    Probably most of us would have gone to the actual awarding body but this petrson is very young, was seriously depressed (diagnosed) and didn't realise that you can double check these things.

Oh I totally understand that, I've made the same mistake myself when I've been in a similar position health wise. I believed the housing office when I got my flat and they said I wouldn't be able to get HB for the old and new place while I was serving out my notice in the old flat, which turned out to be total rubbish, I've only just finished paying the arrears off after three years.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • Ames
    Options
    I hope you never come here for advice as you will find alot of the regulars work at the DWP and will not be too happy to hear you calling them sub-standard.

As it happens they would not be entitled to HB/LHA if they lived with a close relative.

From what I understand, front line JC+ staff work for minimum wage. They must have a horrendous workload right now, and with benefits changing so much so often it must be impossible to keep up with all the rules. I don't think any of it is the front line staff's fault, they should be given regular training in the different systems. I mean, if places like CAB can keep on top of the rules for giving advice, surely the jobcentre should be able to? I don't think any of it's the fault of the staff, just the system itself.
  • NASA_2
    NASA_2 Posts: 5,571 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry, yes I realise that but it was an employee at DWP who told the person not to bother applying for HB as they would not be eligible.
    Probably most of us would have gone to the actual awarding body but this petrson is very young, was seriously depressed (diagnosed) and didn't realise that you can double check these things.
    Someone once came into our office and asked questions regarding B&Q.

People think that government employees are all knowing, they need to wise up and take some responsibility for themselves, the legislation is out there for everyone, the guidance is out there for everyone, read it and learn what you can claim for. Its no more difficult for the average person on the street than it is for staff.
  • Ames
    Options
    I have to disagree with that, a lot of people on benefits have problems which mean they can't understand all the rules and regulations, I consider myself to be fairly smart and I struggle sometimes. A lot of people don't have the internet etc, and don't realise that you can even ask for the rules, they just believe what they're told by the staff, who they assume know what they're talking about. Obviously I'm talking about benefits here, not the stupid irrelevent questions.

But if someone thinks that you know about B&Q, do you really think they're intelligent enough to plough through and understand all the guidance and rules?
  • zzzLazyDaisy
    zzzLazyDaisy Posts: 12,497 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    NASA wrote: »
    the guidance is out there for everyone, read it and learn what you can claim for. Its no more difficult for the average person on the street than it is for staff.

I understand your frustration at being asked about things that are not in your remit, but I don't think the above comment is fair.

The benefits system is very confusing. If you are new to claiming you are told to phone job-centre plus. They take loads of information and tell you about various benefits, including HB/LHA/CT. It is not difficult to see how people get confused and think that the job centre deals with LHA/CT claims.

Some people are old, ill, stressed, confused, or maybe not very well educated and it may well be much more difficult for them to navigate the benefits maze than it is for someone who is employed in that sector.
    I'm a retired employment solicitor. Hopefully some of my comments might be useful, but they are only my opinion and not intended as legal advice.
  • NASA_2
    Options
    And benefits staff cant get confused and/or stressed?

What defines whether your well educated or not? I scraped through high school and got below average results in GCSE's. If people cant handle their own affairs then they have accept some of the blame when things go wrong with their benefit claims.
  • zzzLazyDaisy
    zzzLazyDaisy Posts: 12,497 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

What defines whether your well educated or not? I scraped through high school and got below average results in GCSE's. If people cant handle their own affairs then they have accept some of the blame when things go wrong with their benefit claims.

I understood that Benefits Staff had to have a reasonable level of education and had to undergo training which - it seems to me - would mean that it would be reasonable to expect them to have a better understanding of the benefits system than the average person. It appears from your post that I was mistaken. My apologies.
    I'm a retired employment solicitor. Hopefully some of my comments might be useful, but they are only my opinion and not intended as legal advice.
  • NASA_2
    Options
    I understood that Benefits Staff had to have a reasonable level of education and had to undergo training which - it seems to me - would mean that it would be reasonable to expect them to have a better understanding of the benefits system than the average person. It appears from your post that I was mistaken. My apologies.
    Benefits (DWP) staff undergo training in their own benefit area - not in Housing Benefit - the most we are told about Housing Benefit is that you can get it if you are entitled to an Income Related benefit.

The poster that came on here stating that DWP are a shambles because they gave wrong advice (And that's all it is - not an order) on Housing Benefit is completely out of order.

I dont go to the benefits office to find out about car tax - its about as sensible to do that as it is to go and ask about Housing Benefit/LHA/CT.
  • flossy_splodge
    flossy_splodge Posts: 2,533 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    edited 3 August 2009 at 12:46AM
    Options
    Someone once came into our office and asked questions regarding B&Q.

People think that government employees are all knowing, that is truly hilarious. I just wish they knew something about the field they are PAID to know about.they need to wise up and take some responsibility for themselves, the legislation is out there for everyone, the guidance is out there for everyone, read it and learn what you can claim for. Its no more difficult for the average person on the street than it is for staff.
    What a load of utter baloney! If the average man/woman in the street should know/understand as much as DWP staff then lets sack the lot of them and redistribute their salaries to the needy!
    Difference is they are PAID to cope! What is it about being paid to do your job that you are struggling to understand.
    If misinformation was an infrequent occurrence I wouldn't mind. After all we ALL make mistakes. But DWP seems to make a career out of being wrong. AND they get paid to give out their misinformation.
    In many jobs, you get it wrong, you're O U T!
    Good heavens above. Well lets just go in for euthanasia right now for all those bewildered, unhappy, confused, mentally ill, badly educated so unable to sift through the jargon and any others not in a position to cope, shall we?
    I don't say it is an easy job being in the DWP right now, but there are many others in extremely stressful situations trying their best to get it right.
    Perhaps the DWP would like to select, then train their staff to properly earn their money.:mad:
  • flossy_splodge
    Options
    Benefits (DWP) staff undergo training in their own benefit area - not in Housing Benefit - the most we are told about Housing Benefit is that you can get it if you are entitled to an Income Related benefit.

The poster that came on here stating that DWP are a shambles because they gave wrong advice (And that's all it is - not an order) on Housing Benefit is completely out of order.

I dont go to the benefits office to find out about car tax - its about as sensible to do that as it is to go and ask about Housing Benefit/LHA/CT.

Perhaps I can assist you by pointing out that I CLARIFIED why I quoted the DWP on an issue to do with Housing Benefit.
    If they don't KNOW, then they should CHECK that the info they give is CORRECT.
    Not rocket science in anyone's book.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport