2008 Corsa - yet another problem.

Options
jammin_2
jammin_2 Posts: 2,461 Forumite
So my corsa broke down on me yesterday. Just conked out after no more than 1 minute of driving home from work. Tried to restart, it starts for 1 second, then dies. Warning light on screen looks a car with a spanner over it.

Rang the breakdown company from my insurance, he picked up my car and, as it's still under warranty, he suggested taking it back to his base on his transporter and then dropping it down to the Vauxhall dealership for me today at 9:00am. Sounds good to me so that's what does done. Incidentally, he said that in his opinion it could be the fuel pump - it's he admitted that he wasn't really a mechanic.

Anyway, the Vauxhall garage just rang me to say it won't be fixed today as they've had to order in a part. It's something to do with the central control unit / electrics, I think he said. It's a pain but it's under warranty so at least I don't have to pay.

Thing is, it was in for it's first year service only a couple of months back (same garage), and during the service they found that (iirc) it wanted a new seal somewhere or other in the engine, due to a possible future oil leak I think he said. Also, a second problem they found was with the clutch pedal - something had snapped. This was the cause of the clutch feeling somewhat loose (I told them it felt like that as I was booking it in). Anyway, they fixed both of those things under warranty too.

Question I'm asking is, what with the two problems fixed previously under warranty, and now today's problem with the central control unit (I think that's what he said) - have I got a duff car? Should a 16 month old car be giving these problems?

Car is a 1.2 petrol 16V 5-door Corsa Design.

Comments

• mchale
    mchale Posts: 1,886 Forumite
    Options
    Depends what mileage its done
    ANURADHA KOIRALA ??? go on throw it in google.
  • jammin_2
    Options
    mchale wrote: »
    Depends what mileage its done
    Sorry, should have said. It's done 12k miles.
  • gilbert_and_sullivan
    Options
    There's good reasons why so many swear by their Korean and Japanese cars.
  • jeannieblue
    jeannieblue Posts: 4,761 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    They are generally good cars - you have been very unlucky it would seem.

How about having a google to see if there is a vaux/corsa forum and if others have had similar problems? If not, you may have a case to put to Vauxhall - but I'm not sure. Do some googling!
    Genie
    Master Technician
  • jeannieblue
    Options
    This one may be helpful

http://www.allcorsa.co.uk/
    Genie
    Master Technician
  • jeannieblue
    Options
    Genie
    Master Technician
  • harveybobbles
    harveybobbles Posts: 8,973 Forumite
    Options
    im great - stop being a retard...

Anyway, back to the OP - sounds like you've been unlucky.

Cars do brake. Sadly more often than they used to years ago!
  • jammin_2
    Options
    Thanks for all the helpful replies.

Car is being repaired today. It's the "brain" that's gone (!), apparently. I asked how much would this have been if it were to have happened outside of warranty, and the service engineer said about £900 all in.

So, whilst I'm not pleased that a car so new has developed such a large and expensive fault, I am relieved that I won't have to pay for it.
  • Mark_Hewitt
    Mark_Hewitt Posts: 2,098 Forumite
    Options
    Normally called the ECU, or engine control unit.
  • jammin_2
    Options
    Normally called the ECU, or engine control unit.

Yes, that's it. That's what the chap at the service desk said.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure