Thoughts on winter wedding!

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Weddings & Anniversaries
46 replies 3.3K views

Replies

• lucylouwoolucylouwoo Forumite
    264 Posts
    We are getting married on new years eve, i don't mind if we have snow or not, I just hope the rain holds off!!!
    We found that most things are costing more becaues of the date, for example the DJ we were looking at would normally charge £180 for a wedding, but wanted £550 for ours!!
    Also people are trying to put on little extras, like the chair cover lady I was going to use tried to add on an extra £20 for her inconvience at working on new years eve!! Think it is a bit cheeky as she only had to be there for the morning so not as if it was going to interfere with her partying!!! Plus most people work on New Years Eve, as you can imagine, we did not use her, lol!!!
    I am really looking forward to having some pics in front of the open fire and christmas tree!!! I have got a champagne/light gold gown so think it is going to look fab!!!!
    The only downside is that I have been trying to lose weight for the wedding and I am really going to have to stop myself scoffing the celebrations at christmas!!!
  • Jo_R_2Jo_R_2 Forumite
    2.7K Posts
    I have to say reading all these posts has really clinched it for me! I'm deffo a winter person anyway and seeing those piccies posted has given me all sorts of romantic ideas about venues to look at!

I do like the idea of a December wedding, or possibly January, so I'm going to go off and talk to OH, see if we can come up with a date and take it from there!
    Dealing with my debts!
    Currently overpaying Virgin cc -
    balance Jan 2010 @ 1985.65
    Now @ 703.63
  • I would not get too bothered about the weather , the last 12 months seems to been cool and dry in the winter, and warm and wet in the summer. I dont recall it raining for 8 days on the trot last winter , like we just had in the UK.

For photos, the timing should be different , its often dark at 4:30 on a grey day, so I would not go later that a 1pm-2 pm ceremony .
  • lindaatno9lindaatno9 Forumite
    2.1K Posts

For photos, the timing should be different , its often dark at 4:30 on a grey day, so I would not go later that a 1pm-2 pm ceremony .

Which is why the interior of the venue can be more important than the pretty grounds!!
  • Hi Jo,

We're getting married in Feb next year in North Lincolnshire, so well in touch with the Winter Wedding thematics! We found some nice decorator stuff on this site, they do props for television and stage shows and we're using some of the ice jewels, icicle branches etc to provide a little bit of winter wonderland to our reception:

Here is the link for the Christmas stuff:
    http://www.props4shows.co.uk/christmas_props/982_0c.html

And the Snow and Ice stuff.
    http://www.props4shows.co.uk/snow_and_ice/944_0c.html

Loads of things you can do.

Kel
    xx

• We are getting married in November and I can't wait. It has been really easy to book everything at short notice, some things have been cheaper, and the room we are getting married in is small and wood panelled and will be candle lit, so the more horrible the weather is outside the more cosy it will seem indoors! Don't worry about the photos - Summer brides at the moment will be lucky if the skies are not dark and pouring with rain - and a good photographer can take great photos whatever the weather. We are having all ours taken indoors though as the venue is so nice. Good luck with your planning!
  • Jo_R_2Jo_R_2 Forumite
    2.7K Posts
    We have been searching out venues, I have an image in my mind of what I'm looking for, somewhere cosy, a bit olde-worlde (LOL!), with a burning log fire, all wooden and warm (okay so I'm going off a bit in my own world there!)

I am convinced my day will be either frosty or snowy and so have been picking out possible places with nice grounds for photos but now am thinking after a couple of the comments that maybe the grounds don't matter so much given it will be dark earlier in the winter... Oh I don't know!

I'm quite lucky as where we are the country isn't far in any direction but we're in the city so not far to go for some picturesque grounds... Trouble is I'd love somewhere that's both pretty outside with what I mentioned above inside BUT also really accessible for guests travelling so as close to the city centre as possible - gads I don't ask for much do I?!!!

Just looking at the mo and working out a budget.
    Dealing with my debts!
    Now @ 703.63
  • edited 3 August 2009 at 9:41AM
    kelda_sheltonkelda_shelton Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    edited 3 August 2009 at 9:41AM
    Im getting married on 28 December this year.

Im having it on a public holiday - I'm getting it for great costs as a result of the offpeak wedding and we had no problems booking up at all.

So far the only prob with booking anythig actually has been my ususal hairdresser is away for xmas so need to find someone else to do my hair on the day.

Im hoping for snow too!!

We're having mulled wine or hot chocolate for the first drink, and the favours are wooden christmas decorations for the tree.

We're getting married at our hotel at 2.30pm and not moing from there. We checked the timings for sundown so that should be fine. The phtographer said winter weddings can actually give fantastic lighting but that any good photographer is prepared for havig to take indoors etc so he wasnt too worried.

I always thought a festive wedding would be great and thought about New years eve - but it would ahve been much more difficuelt getting married that day as opposed to 28th.

Jo_R wrote: »
    Just wanted to ask what people think about winter weddings?

Me and OH both agreed we'd like a wintry wedding, I love the idea of being inside by a blazing fire whilst having drinks, wearing rich red colours in my dress and the possibility of snow - well I can dream can't I?!

Thing is would a December a bad time given Christmas would be coming up and people have other priorities for their time?

My birthday is in January so that could be a special date, and also (pushing it for winter though!), baby's birthday is March.

I'm also thinking it would be cheaper for venue hire and other costs as less business for say wedding photographers and other such expenses etc so may mean we could set a date earlier than we first thought.

Anyone had a winter wedding or any thoughts/tips?
  • lindaatno9lindaatno9 Forumite
    2.1K Posts
    You are so right on perfect conditions for photograps. If I remember correctly, overcast is better than direct, hot blue sky weather.
  • Jo_R_2Jo_R_2 Forumite
    2.7K Posts
    Well we're thinking of December next year. As we're going to be on a bit of a budget, we're thinking small wedding followed by a big party, but missing out the wedding breakfast as it's looking like that could eat into our budget. Only thing is I don't want people to have a big wait between the ceremony and the reception, but don't want it to be practically dark by having the ceremony late afternoon...

We're still trying to work it all out really, I kinda feel like I'm working it all out as we go as I really don't know much about planning a wedding! Despite wanting a small wedding, OH is adamant he doesn't want a register office wedding (neither of us want a church wedding) but in terms of budget I don't know where that'll leave us. I've been looking at local venues to get a feel for prices and my preference would be to have both the wedding and reception at the same place but I'm thinking this might be a little bit naive given our budget based on the prices I've seen so far!

We've done a provisional guest list which should help with working out prices so I just need to scour the area for potential venues!
    Dealing with my debts!
    Now @ 703.63
This discussion has been closed.
LATEST NEWS AND GUIDES

Balance transfer credit cards

Shift existing card debt to 0% interest for up to 31 months

MSE Guides