🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Rail Travel: Tips on Cheap Tickets

Options

Comments

• bobdauilda
    bobdauilda Posts: 791 Forumite
    Options
    Can anyone help me get a cheap deal from Cardiff to London on Thurs 22nd March?? Need to be there for 1330 hours and dont mind a late return.... 2 singles cost £27 total so far so anyone with a better deal please let me know!
    Happiness is wanting what you have, not having what you want.

Primum non noce!
  • tightasagnats
    Options
    Hello All,

I'm travelling from London to Salop (Whitchurch) (which is on the Crewe line) on Fri 6th April - needing to arrive by about 15:00-18:00. Returning Fri 13th April after about 13:00.

So far cheapest I have found is a megabus return to Birmingham for £13.00 and then a saver return from Birmingham to Salop with one change for £19.00 on the train.

Any help much appreciated!

Best wishes
    T
  • evesham1988la
    Options
    Hello All,

I'm travelling from London to Salop (Whitchurch) (which is on the Crewe line) on Fri 6th April - needing to arrive by about 15:00-18:00. Returning Fri 13th April after about 13:00.

So far cheapest I have found is a megabus return to Birmingham for £13.00 and then a saver return from Birmingham to Salop with one change for £19.00 on the train.

Any help much appreciated!

Best wishes
    T

Bear in mind that a return (returning within 1 month) is available between London Marylebone and Birmingham Snow Hill for £15 anyway (+ £1 add-on if you need to travel from anywhere in the M25 by train).

Unfortunately (for you), there is a £5 discount code on tickets (rather than transactions) of £20 or more - and as the Saver Return between Birmingham and Whitchurch is £19, it isn't much use to you.
    sorry no links in signatures by site rules - Forum Team 2
  • iwannabeonthebeach
    Options
    Hi, I'm looking for a return ticket from Exeter to London on either 11/12th April. It's for a day trip, so not too bothered about arrival times but obviously wanna be there for long enough to make it worth while, so looking to arrive approx 10/11 and leave 4/5/6. I've found saver return for £59, or two separate tickets would work out at £47. I've tried the advice above about booking tickets to different stations along the way but am a bit confused!
    Any help appreciated.
  • sparkymark_3
    Options
    New member here, so apologies if this has been asked before....

I will be moving to Chelmsford soon, along with my husband, and will be commuting in from Chelmsford to Liverpool Street every day.
    Does anyone have any ways to make this journey any cheaper than the £255 a month I will have to pay?
    We currently live in london at the moment and only pay £100 each for a Z1-3 season ticket, but we are making our first steps on the property ladder in Chelmsford, so this is quite a big jump for us.

Thanks in advance

a season ticket is the cheapest way for a daily commute , so no other way to save - sorry
  • AP
    AP Posts: 412 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    sparkymark wrote: »
    New member here, so apologies if this has been asked before....

I will be moving to Chelmsford soon, along with my husband, and will be commuting in from Chelmsford to Liverpool Street every day.
    Does anyone have any ways to make this journey any cheaper than the £255 a month I will have to pay?
    We currently live in london at the moment and only pay £100 each for a Z1-3 season ticket, but we are making our first steps on the property ladder in Chelmsford, so this is quite a big jump for us.

Thanks in advance

a season ticket is the cheapest way for a daily commute , so no other way to save - sorry

The season ticket between Chelmsford and London Terminals has now gone up to £268.80 per month. You could buy an annual season ticket valid for 12 months for £2800.00 which you can pay by monthly direct debit, equals £233.33 per month.

An annual season ticket holder has the benefit of buying a standard saver return at 1/3 discount for the holder and a travelling companion, plus accompanying children travels at £1 each return for all journeys within the Network South East area, stretching from Kings Lynn to Exeter and also from Worcester to Hastings.

You might be interested to know that a standard day return from Chelmsford to London costs £20.20. But the same ticket from London to Chelmsford costs only £12.10. So if you want to just go to London for one day early in the morning, buy a return from London to Chelmsford and use the return portion to go out and the outward portion to return!
  • kittycatface
    Options
    https://www.printtraintickets.com/one/
    £6 single Cambridge - London Liverpool St if you book and print out online. Times avail are restricted but there are generally 3 times avail for each day.

It will take approx 1/2 hr longer than the Kings Cross line but works out about 1/2 price

If anyone is on the One train network its worth a look - but am not sure if they do anything except camb-london for this cheap.
  • babybunny
    babybunny Posts: 51 Forumite
    Options
    pompeyrich wrote: »
    The £90:20 fare is a standard "walk up" fare available on the day of travel so no point in booking that just now. Sometimes, especially at weekends and due to engineering work, "value" fares aren't released until nearer the departure day, so keep checking and when you see them book them.

Hi, some value fares have now shown up for this journey, but they are different on Virgin website and the trainline website. Is this normal?!

My journey is London to Stafford on 2nd June arriving no later than 1pm, returning to London on 3rd June arriving no later than 10pm. I have a network railcard.

The best I can find is £25 for two singles to Stafford and £45 for two singles to London making £70 total.

I suppose I could also book the £25 tickets using trainline and get an additional £5 off with the promotional code, but the £45 tickets aren't on the trainline so I would have to book these through Virgin, whbut that would be ok.

But is there a cheaper way I have missed?

Many thanks
  • pompeyrich
    pompeyrich Posts: 3,135 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    babybunny wrote: »
    Hi, some value fares have now shown up for this journey, but they are different on Virgin website and the trainline website. Is this normal?!

My journey is London to Stafford on 2nd June arriving no later than 1pm, returning to London on 3rd June arriving no later than 10pm. I have a network railcard.

The best I can find is £25 for two singles to Stafford and £45 for two singles to London making £70 total.

I suppose I could also book the £25 tickets using trainline and get an additional £5 off with the promotional code, but the £45 tickets aren't on the trainline so I would have to book these through Virgin, whbut that would be ok.

But is there a cheaper way I have missed?

Many thanks

The £45:00 fare with Virgin doesn't really exist as a single, it is half of the £90:20 return but can only be booked if you book the outward part too.
    Advanced fares for travel on a Sunday, and sometimes Saturday, are usually released later than the weekday ones, this is because the train companies don't know what, if any, engineering work, there will be over the weekend. The obvious problem this causes is that by the time the Sunday fares are released the others may have gone !!
  • daftstar
    daftstar Posts: 22 Forumite
    Options
    Hello.

I only want to go from London to Birmingham International but the fares are an arm+leg!

I want to travel on June 10th (Sun) and return 18th (Mon)

When do Virgin Advance fares become available?

x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family