🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Suggestions for a cheap but good face scrub?

Options
2»

Comments

• msgnomey
    msgnomey Posts: 1,613 Forumite
    Options
    I bought a nice apricot one from Savers if you have a Savres near you 99p large pot smelt nice and way just the right amount of 'scrub' ikywim
    Go hopefully into each new day, enjoy something from every day no matter how small, you never know when it will be your last
  • Bitsy_Beans
    Bitsy_Beans Posts: 9,640 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for your fab suggestions. I did have a google at home made scrubs but TBH with 2 young kids I don't really have the time for anything too messy or that requires prep work (excuses? moi? ;))
    I am trying to have a look at the amazon link but stupid internet is playing up. If I don't go for that I guess St ives is the next best thing.
    I have a gift for enraging people, but if I ever bore you it'll be with a knife :D Louise Brooks
    All will be well in the end. If it's not well, it's not the end.
    Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars
  • 4li5on
    4li5on Posts: 220 Forumite
    Options
    Bog standard cooking salt!

It's not too course, it's dirt cheap and it works like a treat. Pop a tablespoon full in the palm of you hand, add a couple of drops of water to make it like a paste and scrub gently. Moisturise well when you've finished.

I've been doing this for quite a while now and amazingly it is clearing my acne up. Anything perfumed or soapy, no matter what brand or how 'gentle', was making my face break out really badly.

Sainsbury Bascis / Tesco Value cooking salt and Wilkinsons Cocoa Butter moisturiser - perfect combo for my oily but dry / scabby skin!
  • Bitsy_Beans
    Bitsy_Beans Posts: 9,640 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    4li5on wrote: »
    Bog standard cooking salt!

It's not too course, it's dirt cheap and it works like a treat. Pop a tablespoon full in the palm of you hand, add a couple of drops of water to make it like a paste and scrub gently. Moisturise well when you've finished.

I've been doing this for quite a while now and amazingly it is clearing my acne up. Anything perfumed or soapy, no matter what brand or how 'gentle', was making my face break out really badly.

Sainsbury Bascis / Tesco Value cooking salt and Wilkinsons Cocoa Butter moisturiser - perfect combo for my oily but dry / scabby skin!

I tried using the salt last night and my skin was lovely and soft. However I am concerned that it's going to leech ALL the moisture out of my skin. Do you not find it makes your skin really dry???
    I have a gift for enraging people, but if I ever bore you it'll be with a knife :D Louise Brooks
    All will be well in the end. If it's not well, it's not the end.
    Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars
  • 4li5on
    4li5on Posts: 220 Forumite
    Options
    I tried using the salt last night and my skin was lovely and soft. However I am concerned that it's going to leech ALL the moisture out of my skin. Do you not find it makes your skin really dry???

Not at all. As long as you apply a good coat of moisturiser after you've finished!

I always use the cocoa butter and it's fine. My skin is usually oily and dries out very quickly with clearasil or any of the shop-bought cleaners and my breakouts go very flaky as they heal. I have never been a big user of moisturiser on my face as it added to the oil problem, but the salt/cocoa butter combo is perfect for me and the improvement is superb!

Try it for a while, and if it doesn't suit your skin, stop doing it. My acne has been trial and error for years now, it's finiding the right balance for your own skin.
  • Katie-Kat-Kins
    Katie-Kat-Kins Posts: 1,741 Forumite
    Options
    I use garnier pure, which works fine and is good if you get the occasional zit, it is pretty cheap too normally coming in at £3 odd.

Simple is good too. Or neutrogena (the one in the orangey pack), both are similar in price.

They are aimed at spotty teenage skins but I find them good for daily use on my rathe rmore grown up but still slightly oily skin.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport