Suggestions for a cheap but good face scrub?

Options
I could do with using a face scrub but didn't want to spend a great deal of money (of course ;))
have any of you lovely ladies (and well I suppose gents to be fair :rotfl:) have any recommendations for a decent face scrub that doesn't cost the earth??

Cheers
:beer:
I have a gift for enraging people, but if I ever bore you it'll be with a knife :D Louise Brooks
All will be well in the end. If it's not well, it's not the end.
Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars

Comments

• Louba
    Louba Posts: 283 Forumite
    Options
    If you can live without something perfumed and luxurious then you could try dryed adzuki beans which have been ground in a blender or coffee grinder. The dried beans are pretty cheap and you can grind lots and out them in a tub and they keep for ages. You just take a handful of the powder and mix it with some water until it forms a paste and use as a scrub as normal. The body shop used to do a product called japanese washing grains and aduki beans are the main (if not the only) ingredient. I've tried it and it works quite well and there are no harsh chemicals if you have sensitive skin :A. here's a link to a site which discusses how to make them and what yo do with them - really easy though! http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1824561/diy_japanese_washing_grains_for_the.html For a shop bought option I also find the Apri St Ives apricot scrub really good too and a bit less messy than the beans.
    Mortgage as at March 2010 £225,000 target for December 2012 £170,000. Blog link http://beautifulorpractical.blogspot.com/2010/07/oh-this-is-all-new.html :j
  • FelinePrincess
    FelinePrincess Posts: 1,385 Forumite
    Options
    I personally don't find shop brought scrubs and exfoliators much good, they are never tough enough in my opinion. For face and body I use a exfoliating cloth from bodyshop, here is a link to one on amazon http://www.amazon.com/Body-Shop-Exfoliating-Skin-Towel/dp/B000HGLN5S they don't look like much but they really do the job. Mine has lasted me ages so it is very MSE aswell!

Feline Princess
  • SugarSpun
    SugarSpun Posts: 8,559 Forumite
    Options
    I'd mix ground aduki beans with almond oil or some water.

Or oatmeal with some honey. Or sea salt with almond oil.
    Organised Birthdays and Christmas: Spend So Far: £193.75; Saved from RRP £963.76
    Three gifts left to buy
  • ~*Plushroom*~
    ~*Plushroom*~ Posts: 2,542 Forumite
    Options
    I could do with using a face scrub but didn't want to spend a great deal of money (of course ;))
    have any of you lovely ladies (and well I suppose gents to be fair :rotfl:) have any recommendations for a decent face scrub that doesn't cost the earth??

Cheers
    :beer:

I mix a handful of porridge oats with some natural yoghurt and rub gently into the skin and then leave it on for a couple of minutes. Rinse off and pat dry. I have to be careful as I have sensitive and exzcema prone skin so I tend to go with gentle and natural when I can.

Also bloody cheap!
    The "Bloodlust" Clique - Morally equal to all. Member 1/Official 'Bring back Mark and Lard NOW! or else (please)' Member 18
    "We all pay for life with death, so everything in between should be free." Bill Hicks
    TRUE BLOOD FANGIRLS #4
    Wouldn't You Like To Be A Plushroom Too?:D
  • snugglepet20
    snugglepet20 Posts: 454 Forumite
    Options
    If you want to buy a scrub rather than make one, Avon's clearskin scrub used to be brilliant, they have changed the packaging now so I dont know if its the same anymore. It was always 4 for £5 so I still have loads left :) The only other decent cheapish one is St Ives apricot scrub I think its about £3.99. Other than that don't bother as most own brand scrubs are watery and bitty.
  • Spain_Shopper
    Options
    My nan always used sugar and water and she had beautiful skin.
  • freyasmum
    freyasmum Posts: 20,597 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Another recommendation if you want to buy it is the St Ives scrubs - they're great for the money :)
  • yoyo1980
    yoyo1980 Posts: 108 Forumite
    Options
    I use olive oil and sea salt on body - works a treat - nice on the face but keep your mouth closed!!
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    like felineprincess, I use an exfoliating cloth. I had two bought with great joy at a space NK sale for pennies :)

I've had them years and they don't die. With just very gentle pressure over low problem arteas and a little more over my key areas (nose and chin) they are wonderful. Not particularly attractive mine. But wonderful. Mine are very large I use one half one day the other half the second day then bung in the wash with whatever is going through: the last thing I want to do is rub bacteria back on to my face. ;)
  • Jei70
    Jei70 Posts: 281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I recommend a home-made aspirin scrub. Just melt a couple of aspirin tablets in a few drops of water (or chamomile tea, or any flower water you might have) and scrub your face! If you have dry skin, add a little honey before use.

This is fairly strong (because of salicylic acid), so should not be used more than twice a week (once is enough for dry skin). Very economical, too - you get 8 scrubs for 15p!
    Cogito, ergo sum.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport