internet without bt line

Options
is there any interemt and phone package i can get with having bt line rental? theres a bt phone line which has been cancelled but they have told me that will be free to activate but i dont want to have line rental with them
Wins for 2011: ........................

Weight Lose Challenge: 7/1/11 60lbs to lose 23/1/11 17 lbs lost :) 43lbs to go!!

Comments

• Ypaymore
    Ypaymore Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    edited 25 July 2009 at 2:18PM
    Options
    Normally you only get Free connection if you can still get a dialling tone.

Their are a number of suppliers that will restart/reconnect an old BT Line. Heres a few.

http://www.postoffice.co.uk/portal/po/jump2;jsessionid=DCAQH5CREIWPEFB2IGVUNZQUHRA0UQ2K?catId=68600711&mediaId=58000695

http://www.madasafish.com/ (Owned by BT.)

www.phone.coop

www.plus.net (Owned by BT)

Their is also Virgin Media if you live in cable area.

What have you got against BT.?
  • penrhyn
    penrhyn Posts: 15,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It doesn't matter who you pay your line rental to it is still BT that own the line.
    A third party operator has to request BT to fix any faults that may occur.
    The question you have to ask is, if I'm not paying line rental to BT and a fault develops will they be that bothered about fixing it?
    That gum you like is coming back in style.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Your only option without a BT line (regardless of line rental) is Virgin Media (if you have VM in your area). Otherwise you are stuck with mobile broadband as the only other way.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Money_Grabber13579
    Options
    macman wrote: »
    Your only option without a BT line (regardless of line rental) is Virgin Media (if you have VM in your area). Otherwise you are stuck with mobile broadband as the only other way.

Not strictly true as I understand it as Talktalk are offering new line connections for £50 as long as you take out a package with them. BT charge c£125. This only applies if you don't have a dial tone as your line has been physically disconnected.
    Northern Ireland club member No 382 :j
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Not strictly true as I understand it as Talktalk are offering new line connections for £50 as long as you take out a package with them. BT charge c£125. This only applies if you don't have a dial tone as your line has been physically disconnected.

Yes but that is still a BT line, even if you pay your line rental to TT.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • WhoKilledBambi?
    Options
    macman wrote: »
    Yes but that is still a BT line, even if you pay your line rental to TT.

No it's not, they only install new lines (24 month rental contract) in their LLU exchanges. Initially it will be a "BT" line but it's transferred over to TT's network ASAP and becomes a TT line. Only broadband you can then get is TalkTalk.
    Not sure if the original query is the need for a BT type line without paying rental to BT retail or the need for a BT type line at all.
  • penrhyn
    penrhyn Posts: 15,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    No it's not, they only install new lines (24 month rental contract) in their LLU exchanges. Initially it will be a "BT" line but it's transferred over to TT's network ASAP and becomes a TT line. Only broadband you can then get is TalkTalk.
    Not sure if the original query is the need for a BT type line without paying rental to BT retail or the need for a BT type line at all.

The equipment in the exchange could well be LLU, that does not alter the fact that the physical piece of copper wire that connects you to the exchange is owned and maintained by BT.
    BT also perform any physical connections that may be required in the exchange. They don't let third party operators in the buildings.
    That gum you like is coming back in style.
  • WhoKilledBambi?
    Options
    Nothing to do with the original question but mildly interesting I suppose. Following that train of thought all phone lines apart from cable are BT lines then. Makes things a lot easier.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure