🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Dealing with Bailiffs Harassment

Options

Comments

• jojo1964
    Options
    Just trying to get things straight in my own mind.

1. As long as i dont allow them in, or leave a door, or window open, they cannot enter (unless they have the relevant court order).

2 What are they not allowed to take?, i read that presents that have been given to the kids are exempt, am i correct? the computer was a present for the kids, although it is in the living room, and is used by all the family, and probably contains personal information.

3. Can they simply walk in through an unlocked door without knocking first?

4. Are they legally able to rifle through drawers and cupboards to search for items?

5. Can they enter bedrooms, and search, or is it just a visual search?

I know it wont come to this, as i am going to keep up with the payments i have offered, but its always nice to know exactly where i stand.

Thanks in advance.
    Thankyou Sir Alex for 26 years
  • never-in-doubt
    Options
    1. As long as i dont allow them in, or leave a door, or window open, they cannot enter (unless they have the relevant court order).

Yes correct. They cannot force entry, so if you have kids make sure they do not open the door! Speak through a letter box or ignore them!

2 What are they not allowed to take?, i read that presents that have been given to the kids are exempt, am i correct? the computer was a present for the kids, although it is in the living room, and is used by all the family, and probably contains personal information.

They cannot take work items and/or clothing/basic living necessities. They would take the PC, obviously its a high value item! But they will not get in, right? They can take a car on the drive (park on a mates drive or round the corner) - beware though, parking off road on public roads mean they could take it if they know the reg number - so a mates PRIVATE property is the best route.

3. Can they simply walk in through an unlocked door without knocking first?

Yes. Although by rights, if they did this you'd clout them with a hammer and act as though they are robbers. Sorry but it is the law!

4. Are they legally able to rifle through drawers and cupboards to search for items?

Yes they may do this but as above, they won't get in :p If it breaches your human rights they can get done for it, i.e. they cannot rifle through your (assuming you are female) knicker drawer.!!!

5. Can they enter bedrooms, and search, or is it just a visual search?

Yes, but it should be visual but they always take the mickey - usually you'll find they come in pairs, one talks to you (distraction) the other searches in hidden places like drawers etc
    :o 2010 - year of the troll :o

Niddy - Over & Out :wave:
  • jojo1964
    Options
    Im male , by the way.
  • jojo1964
    Options
    Further update

This company dont hang around.

Whilst at work, my wife had a knock on the door (or many) and realising who it probably was, refused to answer the door, result.

Notice of seizure of goods
    Council tax

£1189.40 Arrears

£59.80 Levy Fee

£24.80 Redemption of goods fee.

My car was on the driveway, but is SORN, so could not have moved it anyway, but that is what they have seized.

I think they are a bit peed off with me.

Will try and contact the council today to try and have the order/warrant lifted, as i feel that my offer of £150 per month is reasonable, considering my circumstances.

Any advice in the meantime would be appreciated.
  • jojo1964
    Options
    Further update.

Phoned the council, problem sorted, they have to accept my offer of £150 per month.

They couldnt understand why the bailffs had been involved, as i had always paid in the past.

Still its all over now.
  • never-in-doubt
    Options
    jojo1964 wrote: »
    Further update.

Phoned the council, problem sorted, they have to accept my offer of £150 per month.

They couldnt understand why the bailffs had been involved, as i had always paid in the past.

Still its all over now.

Excellent - well done (although i'm sure we were saying ring the council at the very start lol)..........

At least you've learned something with all this :D

• Innocent_Guy
    Options
    Just had an Equifax alert, ANOTHER DCA has searched my credit report!
    That is 2 in 1 month! Sooo annoyed......:mad:
    Bank Accounts - Barlcays Premier[/B] - £1000 o/d, HSBC - £200 o/d- First Direct - £500
    Credit Cards - Barclaycard £2000 - Silver Card £1300 - Flybe £7500 - HSBC £1000 - First Direct £2500 First Direct Gold £3000
    6 credit accounts closed in 2010!

Official SOS Club number 001 - Dry until 01.07.10
  • never-in-doubt
    Options
    Just had an Equifax alert, ANOTHER DCA has searched my credit report!
    That is 2 in 1 month! Sooo annoyed......:mad:

They stay for 2yrs mate and every lender will be able to see them and know that you're in debt (or not, as the case may be)......

I am suing Equifax cos of this same problem - nightmare mate. :beer:

• Innocent_Guy
    Options
    They stay for 2yrs mate and every lender will be able to see them and know that you're in debt (or not, as the case may be)......

I am suing Equifax cos of this same problem - nightmare mate. :beer:
    This is a due to the incorrect links.... So annoyed. I have a letter for Lowells apoligising for bothering me as they had an incorrect trace.!:mad:

This DCA is called Village? Never heard of them
    Bank Accounts - Barlcays Premier[/B] - £1000 o/d, HSBC - £200 o/d- First Direct - £500
    Credit Cards - Barclaycard £2000 - Silver Card £1300 - Flybe £7500 - HSBC £1000 - First Direct £2500 First Direct Gold £3000
    6 credit accounts closed in 2010!

Official SOS Club number 001 - Dry until 01.07.10
  • legendkiller2k8
    Options
    I had a letter hand delivered from a bailiff for a debt. He is a county court bailiff and the debt is for provident. In his letter he stated a locksmith and a van has been booked to gain entry to my property to remove goods . And the police may also be involved. However he has never been into my property and that letter he delivered was his first visit.
    Am i right in thinking he cannot use the locksmith to gain entry as it would be classed as forceful entry and also he cannot gain access unless it's peacefulo aka a window or door left unlocked?
    I would be grateful for any advise.
    Before anyone says well pay the debt £2500 is a lot to come up with when on jsa and i am trying to find a way to pay most of it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport