PPI reclaims and Government Employees

Options
akaMr_G
akaMr_G Posts: 5 Forumite
edited 24 July 2009 at 7:17PM in Reclaim PPI & other insurance
Hi all,

I've been a teacher for the past 5 years, and have stumbled upon a few (dodgy commerical) loan reclaim websites that state that if you work for a government organisation then you are totally exempt from paying PPIs on mortgages and loans.

I took out an £8k loan from NatWest last May to buy a new motor. I was a bit rushed, as my previous car had just spectacularly failed its MOT, and I needed to sort out finance (and a car) quickly so I could see teach my little monkies at school the next week. I was a bit shocked last month when my annual statement came through to see that after a year, and having paid back some £2820, I still owed over £11k thanks to the PPI that I had sort of agreed to. I wasn't aware that I would be charged up front for the policy, and that it would be added to the total sum of my loan.

During my loan application, I did explain that I was a teacher, and that I was well covered in terms of sickness pay etc. however I was advised that it was be best to take out the PPI to cover all eventualities.

I have searched high and low for the official regulations about government workers so that I can launch a watertight claim, however I can't seem to find it anywhere. I would be extremely grateful if somebody could point me in the right direction.:huh:

Thankyou in advance!

akaMr_G

Comments

• melorablack
    melorablack Posts: 1,114 Forumite
    Options
    There isn't any. Doesn't matter where you work you can still benefit from PPI as long as you are employed (And meet the conditions of course).
  • di3004
    di3004 Posts: 42,579 Forumite
    Options
    akaMr_G wrote: »
    Hi all,

I've been a teacher for the past 5 years, and have stumbled upon a few (dodgy commerical) loan reclaim websites that state that if you work for a government organisation then you are totally exempt from paying PPIs on mortgages and loans.

I took out an £8k loan from NatWest last May to buy a new motor. I was a bit rushed, as my previous car had just spectacularly failed its MOT, and I needed to sort out finance (and a car) quickly so I could see teach my little monkies at school the next week. I was a bit shocked last month when my annual statement came through to see that after a year, and having paid back some £2820, I still owed over £11k thanks to the PPI that I had sort of agreed to. I wasn't aware that I would be charged up front for the policy, and that it would be added to the total sum of my loan.

During my loan application, I did explain that I was a teacher, and that I was well covered in terms of sickness pay etc. however I was advised that it was be best to take out the PPI to cover all eventualities.

I have searched high and low for the official regulations about government workers so that I can launch a watertight claim, however I can't seem to find it anywhere. I would be extreemly grateful if somebody could point me in the right direction.:huh:

Thankyou in advance!

akaMr_G

Hi and welcome to this thread.;)

Not too sure on the official regulations on goverment workers myself but someone will know on here I expect.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/ppi-loan-insurance
    On the link posted above, it shows all the information you require in regards of reclaiming and a checklist of mis selling reasons, also template letters.
    With your reasons above and any in the checklist write them in your letter.
    They have 8 weeks to respond in full.

Another letter maybe required, basically keep at them until they either resolve in your favour, or until the final response, they should give you details of the Financial ombudsman service (FOS) if eligible, you can take your complaint to them - if they have not resolve this in your favour.

Post all letters by recorded delivery.

Good luck with this and if you require further help, please ask and please keep us posted.;)
    The one and only "Dizzy Di" :D
  • akaMr_G
    Options
    Thanks for your quick and helpful replies - I'll keep you posted on how it goes!
  • di3004
    di3004 Posts: 42,579 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for your quick and helpful replies - I'll keep you posted on how it goes!

Good luck.;)
    The one and only "Dizzy Di" :D
  • Once_bitten
    Once_bitten Posts: 76 Forumite
    Options
    Civil servants, teachers, local government workers etc have (or used to have) very good terms and conditions covering sick leave, redundancy etc. There is no rule that says they must not take out payment protection. However, their T&Cs may well cover pretty much the same ground and as such PPI can often not be appropriate.
  • Once_bitten
    Once_bitten Posts: 76 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all,

akaMr_G

The websites you are looking at are talking rubbish. If you lose your job the only thing you will have is a redundacy payment. If you have only been been teaching for 5 years it will not be much. Once that has gone you will be in the same position as any private worker who has lost their job. Once the money has gone there is nothing to keep up loan or mortgage payments and you risk losing your home and / or bankruptcy
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,457 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

There is no such rule. Whilst Govt workers do tend to get very good sickness benefits (often around 3-6 months full pay followed by 3-6 months half pay) that does not cover them for redundancy or periods of sickness after the sick pay runds out.

It doesnt stop you claiming on the PPI just because you are in the public sector.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • marshallka
    marshallka Posts: 14,585 Forumite
    Options
    dunstonh wrote: »
    There is no such rule. Whilst Govt workers do tend to get very good sickness benefits (often around 3-6 months full pay followed by 3-6 months half pay) that does not cover them for redundancy or periods of sickness after the sick pay runds out.

It doesnt stop you claiming on the PPI just because you are in the public sector.
    Dunstonh, could you put your advice on this one. Thanks
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?p=23600403#post23600403
  • akaMr_G
    Options
    Just by way of an update - I visited my new local branch of NatWest shortly after my first post, and the customer advisor I spoke to seemed to think I had a very open and shut case, and that he would like to think his staff wouldn't have sold me the PPI. He advised me to write to the Manager of the branch where I took out the loan and things should be dealt with fairly quickly. Unfortunately things didn't work out quite as straight forward - the case has been forwarded to the RBS PPI Customer Converns Team and they have sent me their standard response letters. I have just received my "we need 4 more weeks" letter to finish their investigations.:think:

This is stretching my patience a bit - even though I know they are in their right, they are clearly just biding their time and playing games. It took about 10 minutes to organise the finance in the first place, the amount of investigation must be minimal. Wars have started and finished in less time, but I guess I'll have to stick it out (and I'm fairly certain I'll just get the standard £750 letter). Has anyone any techniques of getting them to shake their bellies a bit? Once again, thanks for all the advice so far:o
  • akaMr_G
    Options
    After around 9-10 weeks I've finally had the standard £750 goodwill offer, and I will be threatening FOS action very shortly unless this is sorted out.

One of my main grievances with this whole process is the manner in which Natwest have actually liaised with me. They sent me a letter aknowledging receipt of my initial claim, and asssigned me a case handler, Ben Ryan. Mr Ryan wrote to me a couple of times saying that he needed more time to put together the paperwork, and not to hesitate getting in touch if I had any queries.

Well, after seven weeks I decided to chase, and was told that Ben Ryan's name was used on all the letters, he was the manager, not a case handler, and that nobody at that point had actually looked into my complaint. I organised my loan in a branch within about 10 minutes, there was precious little paperwork to look into. They are clearly stalling, and misleading customers, with the hope that we may forget and give up. I'm not sure that this is acceptable on their part, and will include it in my complaint to the ombudsman if it gets to that point. Has anybody else ever questioned them directly over this?

All the best
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport