🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Thursday 23 July - What's today's outfit?

Options

Comments

• goanmad
    goanmad Posts: 1,644 Forumite
    Options
    Buffy The Vampire Bat:

I love gladiator sandals but absolutely hate nightwear of any description. I also don't get Ugg boots or Crocs. No offence to anyone who wears them 'cos I'm sure most people would be horrified by some of the weirdness in my wardrobe and like you say, it wouldn't do if we all liked the same things!

GrammarGirl: I thought about you and your creativity when I was reading the IndieTracks website. Did you know that Tatty Divine are doing a free jewellery making workshop? Eithne Farry is doing a craft workshop, too. :j

If any of you MSE girls like creating dresses out of old curtains and making corsages from scraps of felt and old ribbons, Eithne's book "Yeah, I made It Myself" is a real money saving inspiration.
  • Bronnie
    Bronnie Posts: 4,165 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Gladdies.......

I think a lot depends on what you're wearing and how you wear it!! And age too, I'm afraid.

But regardless of age, I think it's always possible to give 'a nod' to the trend if you like. There are quite a few styles here I like and are quite wearable, that are not full blown 'up-yer-legs' gladdies, but give a suggestion of the look and update clothes you've already got!

http://www.asos.com/Women/Shoes/Flat-Sandals/Cat/pgecategory.aspx?cid=6458#parentID=-1&pge=0&pgeSize=20&sort=-1
  • Kaz2904
    Kaz2904 Posts: 5,797 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Not mad keen on gladiator sandals either! Or crocs or uggs! Or in fact trousers tucked into boots. That's just the way they look on me though!

Today- French connection jeans (£34) Topshop t shirt with flower embroidery (Free SiL) Monsoon cardi (£30) and white wdges (£18 asda)
    No jewellery except usual wedding engagement rings and sparkly studs (£2 3 pairs asda)
    Debt: 16/04/2007:TOTAL DEBT [strike]£92727.75[/strike] £49395.47:eek: :eek: :eek: £43332.28 repaid 100.77% of £43000 target.
    MFiT T2: Debt [STRIKE]£52856.59[/STRIKE] £6316.14 £46540.45 repaid 101.17% of £46000 target.
    2013 Target: completely clear my [STRIKE]£6316.14[/STRIKE] £0 mortgage debt. £6316.14 100% repaid.
  • GrammarGirl
    GrammarGirl Posts: 1,466 Forumite
    Options
    I hate the 'up-yer-leg' (nice phrasing, think it should be an official term) style gladiators, I also don't like real dominatrix beasts with loads of studs! I have two pairs of sandals I'd class as gladiators - one are black patent, the other are tan leather and neither have studs or reach higher than my ankle. Come to think of it, are they even gladiator sandals at all?! Maybe they're just regular sandals!

goanmad - Aaaaah, I LOVE Tatty Devine! So disappointed I'm not going. I've read Eithne's book too, it's such a good read. I love reclaiming bits of old tat to make into corsages, necklaces, etc. I'm hoping the vintage fair I'm going to on Sat will have some nice fabrics for me to snaffle up!
  • GrammarGirl
    GrammarGirl Posts: 1,466 Forumite
    Options
    I'm a closet Ugg fan. I shouldn't really like them but I do. They're so comfortable and cosy and warm and lovely! Like teddy feet!
  • piratefairy
    piratefairy Posts: 4,342 Forumite
    edited 23 July 2009 at 4:35PM
    Options
    floss2 wrote: »
    No you're not!! I don't hate them, but I'm not keen and I don't have any!

Personally still undecided on the glad front..these are the nearest i own to any http://www.office.co.uk/womens/irregular_choice/'bow_up/60/6426/17509/1/

but i knida fancy a pair..knowing me i wouldnt wear them though..

and thanks for the book tip, i'll have a look for a copy, as i'm really into things like that, make al ot of my own clothes and jewellery and i really love it!!
  • goanmad
    Options
    I'm a closet Ugg fan. I shouldn't really like them but I do. They're so comfortable and cosy and warm and lovely! Like teddy feet!

They so remind me of some sheepskin "house boots" my lovely late grandma used to wear although I can understand the warmth factor. I'll let you off as I've got those gladiators that go all the way up the leg (although they are studless and non-metallic). :o

I'll try and remember any useful tips I'll learn at IndieTracks and pass them on...that's if I remember anything useful after a skinful of cider...............:rotfl:
  • piratefairy
    piratefairy Posts: 4,342 Forumite
    Options

ugh, can't stand them!! i did purchase the primark leopard print version last yr though, as they really were warm, and necesary for a girl who categorically does NOT wear trousers. of any description. ever.
  • minerva_windsong
    Options
    My gladiators aren't real gladiators - I can't wear most of them because being 5'2" the ankle straps make my legs look even shorter then they already are - but they are a lovely summer sandal. They're silver New Look ones (bought for £16 just before I went to Cornwall in May and got worn lots there despite giving my feet really freaky tan lines!). As GrammarGirl said, there are always going to be 'extreme' versions of trendy things and then there are going to be versions that are more wearable. However, the 'extreme' versions (which suit hardly anyone) are sadly the ones that get photographed in trendy fashion magazines and suchlike and therefore it's not impossible to end up thinking that's all there is...
    "A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister
    Married my best friend 1st November 2014
    Loose = the opposite of tight (eg "These trousers feel a little loose")
    Lose = the opposite of find/gain (eg "I'm going to lose weight this year")
  • goanmad
    Options

You'll love the book, PirateFairy 'cos like me you snaffle curtains to make into dresses!
    Your dress sense sounds so much like a friend of mine...pretty fabrics, bright cardis and ribbons. I bet you love patterned tights, too.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport