Please Help me to connect my PC to wireless router.

Options
I have ordered o2 broadband and it will be soon activated. o2 will provide wireless router as well. I wanna connect my PC with this wireless router however I have no knowledge about this stuff. My PC does not have wireless build in. So do I have to buy any device to connect with my PC to be able to receive the wireless signal from the router? If yes, what it is and what do you recommend to buy?

So I can buy it now so that when o2 send me broadband package and activate internet, it will be ready to use internet on my PC.

Thank you so much.

Oh, one more thing... Do you recommend me to get new wireless router? it's just that there is someone said in the forum that o2 wireless router is not good. The signal will drop many times.

Comments

• macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Assuming your router is near your PC, you don't have to use wireless-you can just connect with an ethernet cable, which will be supplied. If you want to conect wirelessly you will need to buy a USB wireless adapter to plug into your PC, any wireless 'g' adapter should do the job.
    Why not try out the O2 router first since it is free? It's not the best on the market but it will do the job. You can always upgrade later.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • mazdaspring
    mazdaspring Posts: 420 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, They provide a wireless router. Can I just use the cable to connect with this wireless router? I thought it's only for a wireless one.
    The thing is my pc is not in the same room as the phone socket. So I ask about wireless connection in case I really need it.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Any wireless router also works by connecting an ethernet cable from router to PC. Even if you want to use a wireless connection, you must make the initial connection by ethernet to then set up the wireles connection.
    From what you say, you will need to use a wireless connection with a USB adapter on your PC.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • fozmcfc
    fozmcfc Posts: 3,098 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    How are you connecting to the internet now ? or is this your first internet connection at home ?

I have the wireless router from O2 too and basically just follow what Macman has told you, it can be connected via an ethernet cable (supplied with it, if your pc is close enough to the phone socket, which you say it isn't) or wirelessly by using a wireless usb adapter connected to your pc.
  • will-in-estoril
    Options
    I have ordered o2 broadband and it will be soon activated. o2 will provide wireless router as well. I wanna connect my PC with this wireless router however I have no knowledge about this stuff. My PC does not have wireless build in. So do I have to buy any device to connect with my PC to be able to receive the wireless signal from the router? If yes, what it is and what do you recommend to buy?

So I can buy it now so that when o2 send me broadband package and activate internet, it will be ready to use internet on my PC.

Thank you so much.

Oh, one more thing... Do you recommend me to get new wireless router? it's just that there is someone said in the forum that o2 wireless router is not good. The signal will drop many times.

My brother got O2 BB last month, including a wireless router.
    • The router is excellent. No need to buy another one.
    • An installation CD guides you through how to connect.
    • You need the ethernet cable initially to carry out the set up, so is there a way of temporarily having your PC closer to the router? If not a longer ethernet cable or modem cable would be needed. Installation can be done without the cable, but O2 would need to talk you through it over the phone.
    • Once installed your PC can be anywhere in the house (in theory.)
    I promise you once installed you will be very happy.
    RIP independent MSE.
    Died 1st June 2012
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family