We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Boys ear piercing...

Options

Comments

• Xaviera
    Xaviera Posts: 286 Forumite
    Options
    I presume they did it with a gun, rather than with a needle? :confused:

It will be surgical steel (316l or 316lvm) and it shouldn't be green at all, now if it's gone green like the metal's corroded then the place is using cheap SS and breaking the law.

Your best bet is to ask for a 1.2mm SS labret (it can have a jewelled front) from a body piercing studio, and ask them to autoclave it and refit the jewellery.

Alternatively, you can use sterilising tablets but this isn't making the jewellery sterile and you don't want to be using silver or gold as both contain and release nickel. You don't want your healing piercing to be doing this. :)

Good luck.
  • freyasmum
    freyasmum Posts: 20,597 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    iamana1ias wrote: »
    i can't believe they're allowed to pierce a 9 year old!
    Some places are totally unscrupulous though. It's all about the money.

I worked in a place where the owner pierced a baby boy, he couldn't have been more than about 5/6 months. Poor baby, looked like a tiny little doll :(

I agree with those who have said go back to where you had it done, they should be able to sort you out with something :)
  • Xaviera
    Options
    freyasmum wrote: »
    Some places are totally unscrupulous though. It's all about the money.

I worked in a place where the owner pierced a baby boy, he couldn't have been more than about 5/6 months. Poor baby, looked like a tiny little doll :(

But it's up to the parents to give consent, and I think a boy of 9 is old enough to decide if he wants his ears pierced isn't he?! :j
  • juno
    juno Posts: 6,553 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Xaviera wrote: »

It will be surgical steel (316l or 316lvm) and it shouldn't be green at all, now if it's gone green like the metal's corroded then the place is using cheap SS and breaking the law.

Your best bet is to ask for a 1.2mm SS labret (it can have a jewelled front) from a body piercing studio, and ask them to autoclave it and refit the jewellery.

Alternatively, you can use sterilising tablets but this isn't making the jewellery sterile and you don't want to be using silver or gold as both contain and release nickel. You don't want your healing piercing to be doing this. :)

Good luck.
    I agree!

It doesn't really matter if the boy is too young to have it done; it has been done so now it's important to look after it.

Also, what aftercare are you using? It's important to just do "sea salt soaks" rather than using any fancy solutions. Cleaning any jewellery in a solution won't do anything to kill icky germs, either.
    Murphy's No More Pies Club #209

Total debt [STRIKE]£4578.27[/STRIKE] £0.00 :j
    100% paid off :j

• KimYeovil
    KimYeovil Posts: 6,156 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    redrach wrote: »
    I did sign a consent form, and even though I didnt actually want him to have it done, he really wanted it. I'd say 9 was a reasonable age and I dont think anyone would think twice if I said 9 year old girl!

Yes they would. A nine year old girl with piercings is just as obscene. (If anything, it is even worse.)

And when he 'really wants' to get drunk are you going to let him destroy his liver, too?
    But it's up to the parents to give consent, and I think a boy of 9 is old enough to decide if he wants his ears pierced isn't he?! :j

No he is not. And if he wants them pierced then he is too immature to be allowed to decide.
  • Xaviera
    Options
    KimYeovil wrote: »
    Yes they would. A nine year old girl with piercings is just as obscene. (If anything, it is even worse.)

And when he 'really wants' to get drunk are you going to let him destroy his liver, too?

No he is not. And if he wants them pierced then he is too immature to be allowed to decide.

Oh you're one of those people ok. :rolleyes:

*yawn*
  • freyasmum
    freyasmum Posts: 20,597 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Oh no, definitely. I know that :)

I just personally think it's a shame to pierce such a tiny child (obviously not talking about the 9 yo here! :rotfl:), which is why I mentioned it :o
  • MrsTinks
    MrsTinks Posts: 15,241 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Right unless this can get back on track I'm going to lock it for the evening peeps :) can we all please remember to be nice to other moneysavers? :)

Thanks
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's! :)

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
  • redrach
    redrach Posts: 195 Forumite
    Options

Good luck.

Thanks for the responce. Ive had another look tonight and the green on his ear is the same you get when you wear cheap rings, that metallic green stain. I actually got it done at a well know jewelry chain. Im going to go to a another piercing shop an show them and see if they can help. Thanks for all the responces from the people who had genuine advice.

Thanks again

Rachael
  • MrsTinks
    MrsTinks Posts: 15,241 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Always always always go to a proper piercer and not jewelery chains... yes the big needle they use looks scary but trust me it's far less painful in the long run and they actually have some intensive training other than "this is how to use a piercing gun". If you have a tattooist nearby chances are they either do or know a piercer to refer you to. They will be able to give some good quality piercings for his ear till it's healed properly without makign it worse.
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's! :)

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family