Boiler replacement - advice needed please

Options
Hi

I'd like to pick the brains of all you experienced people on the site!!

My problem is this:

My current central heating system is Albion Mainsflow Thermal Store using a Potterton Suprima Boiler. The system was installed in the house when new (10 yrs ago). The boiler is now on its last legs and needs replacement, and I was thinking of a simple replacement of the boiler while keeping the rest of the system which has never had any problems and I consider it to be economical.

However I've had 3 local tradesmen come round to quote me for this and all off them have strongly advised, to put it mildly, that I change over to a combi boiler. One of them refused point blank to give me a quote for what I wanted and only gave me a quote for a combi.

What would anyone advise on this? If the system breaks down in the future would I be regretting not spending the extra money now?

The best quote I've had so far (for a decent boiler) is for a Viessmann Vitodens 100-W (24kw) as a straight replacement, along with flushing out the system etc, this would cost £1800 and would have a 5 year guarantee. The same guy quoted me £2300 for a Viessmann 35 kw combi system. This would include taking away the existing cylinder and all unneeded pipework. My radiators already have TRVs so I don't need those.

I don't really want to pay more than £2000 at the present time. The guy said he could install a cheaper combi boiler such as a Vokera for £2000.

I live in the north west, my house has 4 beds, 1 bath, 1 shower. There are only 2 of us here so there isn't a massive demand for hot water. At the moment I only have the boiler on for 20 mins daily and this is adequate for our purposes.

Any advice gratefully received!! :confused:
nyarlathotep
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family