Request for another sub-forum

Options
I am requesting that a new sub-forum be created - "Fashion". Most of the threads on the front two pages of the Health & Beauty sub-forum are of that nature. Personally, I think they are in danger of taking over and are detracting from what this sub-forum used to be about.

Comments

• floss2
    floss2 Posts: 8,030 Forumite
    edited 22 July 2009 at 12:37PM
    Options
    Maybe not "Fashion" but something like "Wardrobes, Clothes Closets & Shoe Cupboards".....a few people have been a bit put off by the use of the word "Fashionista"!

BTW, this is where it was felt we fitted best by the Mods - a new sub-board was requested initially but I guess that response to our move onto here is being monitored.
  • GotToChange
    GotToChange Posts: 1,471 Forumite
    Options
    I - like many others - immediately knew that the expression "Fashionista" was being used tongue in cheek.

(It's a money saving site after all........)
  • GotToChange
    edited 22 July 2009 at 12:44PM
    Options
    floss2 wrote: »
    Maybe not "Fashion" but something like "Wardrobes, Clothes Closets & Shoe Cupboards".....a few people have been a bit put off by the use of the word "Fashionista"!

BTW, this is where it was felt we fitted best by the Mods - a new sub-board was requested initially but I guess that response to our move onto here is being monitored.

Maybe by now there have been sufficient threads of this type that one can be created.
    I used to follow one particular thread which has now become less "popular". It is never ever (and it used to be) on page 1 and is not posted on with as much frequency. I can't help but feel that the overall feel of this sub-forum has changed and not particularly for the better.

Don't misunderstand me - I love clothes (but never have been and never will be a fashion victim), hair, beauty and style (although hate celebrity culture with a passion) but really do have an issue with quite how shallow all this is becoming.
  • Katie-Kat-Kins
    Katie-Kat-Kins Posts: 1,741 Forumite
    Options
    I've posted on a few of the "fashion" threads, and think that they do have a place on this site somewhere, but I agree that it is detracting from the health and beauty stuff. There are less threads visible about things which used to be "hot topics" like tooth whitening, hair removal, etc.

There are lots of MSE issues around clothes, whether it is avoiding overspending, kitting yourself out for a new job/season/weightloss cheaply, making the most of what you have, best things to buy in the sales, using charity shops or repairing/customising.

These things need a place. I think a board named appropriately should be ok, and I agree I think to avoid putting people off the word fashion should be avoided!
  • GotToChange
    edited 22 July 2009 at 1:40PM
    Options
    You know what, having had another look at page one, I wonder also if there might be a place to collect all the threads about weight-loss as they also seem to prevail (and not everyone is trying to lose weight either).

I am sure that forums by their very nature encourage a certain amount of navel-contemplation but whilst I don't 100% agree with ab's style, I (as a "self-centred" woman) feel a smidgeon of agreement with him

Generally speaking then, I think new sub-forums should be created (not sure of and not my place to say what they should be called) where all the threads - but most especially the daily what are you wearing (which should be dated in their title IMO) should be gathered and another where all the Slimming World/Weight Watchers/baby weight could congregate. The H&B sub-forum could then have the kind of freeflow that it used to have.

I haven't read the weight ones -largely because they are so long and who the devil would know where to start but would even so avoid them in case it's just more of the same.
  • absolutebounder
    absolutebounder Posts: 20,305 Forumite
    Options
    KatP wrote: »
    Did you read the thread by leeds lass about how depressed she was that she couldn't wear the same fashionable clothes as her work colleagues??? I think that is pretty relevent to the aims of this site! Without the advice support and help she got she might have gone out and racked up a load of credit card debt that she couldn't afford.

What difference is it that is was clothes making her feel like that?? There are lots of similar dilemas on this site everyday, I spotted a thread on DFW where a guy was feeling under pressure to spend £50 a week going out with his mates when he couldn't afford it. It is pretty shallow to be that bothered about spending money on beer but nobody questioned whether it was appropriate to be on the board. There are people who spend daft money on sky tv, which I think is a much bigger waste than clothes but we have a sub-board for that.

Have some sensitivity! :mad:
    it is usually this idea of keeping up with the jones that causes these money problems and 20 "ooh look at me Ive got a new bra from next" threads isnt going to help these sad people.
    Trying to be what you think someone else wants you to be is one sure way of losing friends and sliding into depresion. Have you not noticed how many depressed people have weight issues? many are not overweight but are worried about what others think. the fact is most people prefer those who are themselves and not putting up a mask to make themselves look how they think others expect them to look.
    Who I am is not important. What I do is.
  • Katie-Kat-Kins
    Katie-Kat-Kins Posts: 1,741 Forumite
    Options
    it is usually this idea of keeping up with the jones that causes these money problems and 20 "ooh look at me Ive got a new bra from next" threads isnt going to help these sad people.
    Trying to be what you think someone else wants you to be is one sure way of losing friends and sliding into depresion. Have you not noticed how many depressed people have weight issues? many are not overweight but are worried about what others think. the fact is most people prefer those who are themselves and not putting up a mask to make themselves look how they think others expect them to look.

You see you are completely missing the point.

The fashion threads aren't about the latest YSL or gucci, they are the precise opposite, getting the most out of what you have without getting into debt. Exactly what this site is all about.

The site has space for discussing cars, that isn't all about look at my new ferrari is it? No it is about people getting a few more years out of their old bangers or working out the most cost effective way of buying a new car - just the same as the clothes threads. The media is quick to make people think that new clothes have to be expensive and designer, if you read "what are you wearing" you will see that many people on there have a working wardrobe where whole outfits cost less than a single pair of M&S slacks!

If you read the threads you will find that most people are recommending buying a few carefully chosen items from charity shops or budget places like primark. They are also suggesting "make -do and mend" solutions, repairing, customising etc as well as reusing existing items in different ways. Just like the O/S board talks about meal planning and using up left-overs.

It really doesn't matter what it is that tempts you to spend your money unwisely or what you got into debt for, we all have our weaknesses. We also all need to be clothed to some extent so it makes sense to do it in the most budget friendly way possible. Unless of course you are a nudist!

I'm sure you buy or have in the past bought clothes, did you do it in a money saving way? Did you automatically know how to get the best for your money? Have a bit of compassion and exercise some empathy the people on this site do not need you to sit in judgement. Your rude and agressive posts are far from helpful.
  • floss2
    floss2 Posts: 8,030 Forumite
    Options
    it is usually this idea of keeping up with the jones that causes these money problems and 20 "ooh look at me Ive got a new bra from next" threads isnt going to help these sad people.......

Obviously you didn't read the thread. Or any of the others. If you did you would see that the whole story is not about shopping or buying new clothes.

To sum that thread up, the OP was aware that she didn't want to compound any financial issues by buying clothes, but had realised that she needed new clothes to be smart for work. Advice & help was offered & accepted.
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 22 July 2009 at 2:36PM
    Options
    I enjoy reading but don't usually contribute to some of the clothing threads. I do think it would be better to have a subforum: more organised :) and I agree that sometimes it does seem a dominant theme on the front page. :)
  • esmecullen
    esmecullen Posts: 262 Forumite
    Options
    I agree we do need a new subforum perhaps one for posting any great deals on dresses, skirts, tops and footwear

One for co-ordinating what we have in our wardrobes with hints and tips

Say one for those that do like to have a bit of luxury and whether they managed to get it cheaper than advertised .......... or would that come under my first suggestion??

I hope I've not stolen anyones ideas from any other thread??

As for absolutebounder............. well the name says it all doen't it?:rotfl:
    total airhead, total bimbo, very superficial:D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport